Options

TAB 400 Issues

bigbus01bigbus01 Member Posts: 10
We just upgraded from  2016 Tab S Max to a 2018 Tab 400.  We took our first big trip from Maryland to New Orleans.  We had some issues I was hoping people could help with:

1. The Alde took a long time to heat the trailer.  In our S Max, we could heat the trailer in about 15 minutes.  I assume it is because of the larger size, larger number of radiators and larger amount of fluid.
2. When taking a shower, we get a blast of very hot water and then it is cold.  If you then leave it off for about 30 seconds, then it is more like room temperature.  Is there an adjustment to be made?  We ran on electric and then gas and electric and it made no difference.  I also adjusted the temperature regulator and it didn't help.
3.  Heat pump worked well except after 3 hours (with the fan on low), the fan would stop but the compressor kept running.  Does it go into a defrost mode?
4.  The thermostat for the heatpump says it is also a furnace.  It made no heat.  Is there a heating element in the heatpump?

Thanks for any input.

Mark

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I can answer one question. Those heat pumps don't work under 40F. It's essentially the AC in reverse.

I'm having a deja vu moment. I think these questions were asked before but I can't remember the thread. Can our thread gurus help?

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Travels_with_delaneyTravels_with_delaney Member Posts: 15
    We ended up buying a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy to use to bring the temperature up quickly in our Tab 400 when its really cold outside.  Once the trailer is warm, then the Alde takes over and does a great job of maintaining the heat.  I have video on the Mr Heater on our YouTube Channel, "Travels with Delaney"
    2018 T@B 400
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    youtube.com/c/travelswithdelaney
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    They do heat up the interior pretty quickly.  We do like Delaney.  Some say you can run them inside with a cracked open window.  Not sure about that though.  The company says they are safe but....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    What I have done with a Silver Shadow without a built-in heat source, and my T@B is to keep a blanket or sleeping bag in the rear seat of the truck when traveling in cold temps. When I stop, the first thing I do is to turn the Alde on (or the space heater in the SS), and then get the warm blanket or sleeping bag from the truck and put the dog in it in the camper. That keeps her happy, and then I can stay outside and get the rest of the camping setup done while the interior gets warmed up. Please remember that not only is the air cold inside, but the bed, sofa, all of the interior is cold and everything will have be giving off cold until it gets warmed up. The Alde is a radiant heat and it will take some time to warm up. 

When I get home in the spring, I remotely turn my furnace up a few days before I get home. After being at 56* for four months, it does take a while for everything to get warmed up. The T@B is the same way. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    What I have done with a Silver Shadow without a built-in heat source, and my T@B is to keep a blanket or sleeping bag in the rear seat of the truck when traveling in cold temps. When I stop, the first thing I do is to turn the Alde on (or the space heater in the SS), and then get the warm blanket or sleeping bag from the truck and put the dog in it in the camper. That keeps her happy, and then I can stay outside and get the rest of the camping setup done while the interior gets warmed up. Please remember that not only is the air cold inside, but the bed, sofa, all of the interior is cold and everything will have be giving off cold until it gets warmed up. The Alde is a radiant heat and it will take some time to warm up. 

When I get home in the spring, I remotely turn my furnace up a few days before I get home. After being at 56* for four months, it does take a while for everything to get warmed up. The T@B is the same way. 
    Very true. Plus, it will feel different than your forced air at home or in your TV. You don't get a blast of hot air to thaw you out, it's a gradual thing 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @bigbus01

Did you adjust the mixing valve at the Alde to increase the temperature of the water out of the tap? The water coming out of the Alde tank is hot enough to scald and when the T@B leaves the factory the mixing valve is set to temper the hot water significantly. It’s up to you to adjust it up to a temperature with which you are comfortable.

One of the reasons to heat the water in the tank so much is that the two gallon tank can deliver approximately seven gallons of water tempered to a temperature comfortable for showering.

Are you familiar with the mixing valve? We have attached a pdf with instructions extracted from the 2017 T@B owners manual that came with our unit. Just be aware that as you adjust the mixing valve, do it in small increments. If you back the adjustment valve out too far you might find yourself cleaning up a watery mess in the Alde compartment. 

Happy Trails!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    If the adjustment of the mixing valve does not correct the problem it may need calibrated.  Mine needed it and now works perfectly.  Here are the instructions that I received from Alde   If you need to make the adjustment it is best do do it when the system is cold.   
    2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
  • Options
    HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    On the subject of quickly heating the trailer.   You are correct about the Alde not heating the 400 quickly.  We like to keep it cooler when we are sleeping so we use the night time control which automatically turns down the thermostat and turns it back up at specified times.  We are usually up around 6am and I have it set turn back on around 4:30 am so it is warmed up when we get up.  We were out a total of about 4 weeks this winter with nighttime lows sometimes in the low 20's and I was happy with how it worked.  You also may want to check the heat outlet at the rear of the coach.  They can be blocked by the pressure of the mattress or mattress topper.  You may need something inserted between the trim and rear wall to help keep it open.  Good luck. 
    2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2018
    If one has not visited the Swedish Alde web site, might be advised to do so.

http://alde.se 

When in swedish mode, there is a great feature to test and dry run both 3010 and 3020 controller.  

By going into USA mode the FAQ is a good read.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,649
    That simulator is really cool! 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi