Running fridge on propane with side tent?

While setting-up our new side tent (T@B 320S with Boondock package), I noticed a sticker by the fridge vents saying not to use the fridge with propane with a side tent attached.  However, it would seem like it should be ok to run the fridge on propane if the tent windows and door were open.  Does anyone have experience running the fridge on propane with a side tent while keeping the windows and door open?  Alternatively, how do people with side tents keep their food cold while boondocking (i.e., no 120 VAC power available) if they don't run the fridge on propane?

Comments

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    If your tent is closed up tight maybe a Co2 detector in the tent is a good idea. I assume yours is the type that vents next to the door.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • dougmdougm Member Posts: 23
    Yes, my fridge vents are next to the door.  Good idea to use a CO2 detector.  Thanks!
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Boy, this makes me nervous. Please be careful!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I have the side tent and have yet to use the propane feature, but would vent.  I also have an Indel B 12V fridge, so...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    So - then  using the awning and also running the fridge on propane would be fine. Its only the 'enclosed tents' that would obviously be a CO2 issue. (my fridge vent is on the side, by the door).
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Yes.  Plenty of ventilation with the open front of the awning.  But, if you closed the front of the awning by adding the solid panel that PahaQue makes, you would need to vent the side close to the frig vent.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    Perhaps I misunderstood my T@B dealer, but my understanding is that the reason you are not suppose to run the refrigerator on propane when the tent is attached, is that the vent/vented-air gets hot enough that is could damage (burn) the tent fabric.
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Arwen, if the vent got that hot, many people would get burned on the door when it is in the open position. They don't. If the fridge is operating on propane, and the side room tent is attached, the fridge is venting carbon monoxide directly into the tent, which is a deadly scenario. This is only applicable when running on propane, it is safe to operate the fridge on 12V or 110/120AC and vent into the tent. This situation is not an issue with slightly older t@bs as the vents were mounted on the front of the trailer, and thus the carbon monoxide created while running the fridge on propane was directed outside of the tent. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    A properly installed and maintained propane appliance produces very little, if any, carbon monoxide, and is generally safe.  A CO detector would ease my mind, though :)
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Sean_DebSean_Deb Member Posts: 9
    I would think even a closed side tent would not be tight enough to allow a CO2 build up of a dangerous level? A slight amount of venting should be adequate, if sleeping in the side tent a battery powered CO2 detector would be a small price to pay for added security. I am NOT speaking from first hand knowledge  so I am following this thread with interest 
  • MaeMae Member Posts: 12
    I came to conclusion that better safe than sorry. Frankly both NUCAMP & dealer/ as well as Paque should have informed potential TENT buyer of potential health risk if the TAB has dual vents by the door. I am out $800 with a tent I will not use
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I would buy a battery operated CO detector and use it.  (We just bought one for use during Air BnB travel.). Better than being out $800.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio