Options

2018 Norcold fridge won’t start on propane.

I tried to start up my fridge on propane for the first time today, followed instructions to the tee, and no go.  It said to wait 5 minutes before trying again...so after 30 min. I am backing of trying for now. I tried 4 times and no luck. It is a brand new fridge and works perfectly on shore power and battery. We would like to do some boondocking, but I’d rather not spend all my time trying to get the fridge to work. I tried lighting the stove for a few minutes to get any air out of line...still no luck. Has anyone had this problem that can help me?

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited April 2018
    1st: is the propane turned on?
    2nd: is the trailer level?
    3rd: Try Lighting a stove burner on before attempting to light the fridge 
    4th: I push the button in, hear the clicking but don’t release the button until we hear the whoosh of the gas ignite and release the button slowly.
    This works for us. The first seems silly, but some of us have advanced degrees in silly. (I really dislike the word stupid.)
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    The newer fridges are different then the 2016's. It takes awhile to get the gas down to the burner. Push and hold the button down while snapping the ignitor. You must hold the gas knob in until the dial moves into the green. There is a lot of air in the gas line to purge the first time.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Thanks @RollingBnB,  I can’t keep the model distinctions in my head. Another reason to pay attention to the model and year, indeed month of manufacture. Does it still help to light the stove first?

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @TikiBarTab, while @Twojgrams, mentioned the trailer being level ours is particularly finicky.  Level front to back is not so much of an issue, but side to side for us is critical. If we are uneven by 1/2 bubble, it will not light. If we show level, it lights easily, albeit, not quickly. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Close the valve on the propane tank. Then open it up slowly all the way. Make sure the stove stays lit before trying to start fridg. If propane valve is opened to fast a safety valve inside the tank automatically shuts off the fuel flow. Leveling has know effect on light the fridge only when running it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    I had some trouble starting mine on propane last weekend, on the third round attempt when I finally shut myself inside the cabin (with the door closed) it seemed to start on the first/second spark. There was a very light breeze as we were near the ocean, so maybe shutting the door was the difference or maybe not. 
    2017 T@B Max S
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,440
    edited April 2018
    I have the older model fridge in my 2015--I swear the darn thing is possessed, and it certainly senses the operator's irritation and impatience. Sometimes it lights easily, sometimes it doesn't. I always get it lit eventually, but that often requires walking away for an hour or so while the unit finds it's happy place.

Not much help, I know, just commiserating. I agree with all the advice offered by others above.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

This sequence has allowed me to start the frig on propane on the very first try for over a year now.  This is a 2016 Norcold with the "guts" on the left side:

Level the trailer.

Open valve on propane bottle very slowly.

Light one burner on the stove and leave it on for about 40 seconds.  Turn off the stove.

Move the temperature knob on the Norcold to the 6 O'clock position.

Push the red ignition button in and hold until the green light comes on.

Wait no less than 60 seconds while holding the red button in with the green light on.

SLOWLY release the red button.  The frig should now be lit and the green light on.

Hope this helps.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Tabaz said:

This sequence has allowed me to start the frig on propane on the very first try for over a year now.  This is a 2016 Norcold with the "guts" on the left side:

Level the trailer.

Light one burner on the stove and leave it on for about 40 seconds.  Turn off the stove.

Wait no less than 60 seconds while holding the red button in with the green light on.

SLOWLY release the red button.  The frig should now be lit and the green light on.

Hope this helps.

2X
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Do I remember correctly-is that green light really just a green colored “eye” that looks lit when the flame ignites behind it or was that a different model (or universe)?

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Tabaz said:

Level the trailer.

Hope this helps.

2X
    Do you ever hear any kind of sound when the gas catches? I've heard people mention a "whoosh" but I don't ever recall hearing that, even when our fridge was working. We'll be picking up our camper from winter storage in a couple days and one of the first things I need to look at is why the fridge didn't work on propane last year.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I hear a small "whoosh" when my fridge lights.

The main problem I have had is that the fridge will light (green light comes on) and then quickly go out again while I am still holding the red button.

Trying to relight it when this happens has on occasion resulted in rather unsettling "POP" so that's typically when I walk away for an hour or two. When I return it starts up without incident.

I had this issue a lot my second season. Last year (third season) I just took to lighting the fridge after everything else was set up, and things were better. I can't fathom why time would be a factor in this, but I have a lot less trouble when I let everything sit for a bit after unhooking.

Maybe something is slightly misaligned somewhere, but the problem has been so intermittent and not big enough for me to want to to pull out the fridge and pursue a diagnosis.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    edited June 2020
    @TikiBarTab

Am also a 2018 Model owner and had a bit of trouble getting the propane to operate the first time.  While the above how-to-light instructions are helpful they all sound like pre-2018 Fridge model.

For the 2018 model:
     - A -   There is no green eye pilot light, there is an analog gauge, marked white, red line, green.
     - B -   The pilot spark button is just like a home grill one push equals one spark.

Each time the operator pushes the spark button the analog gauge jumps in the white area and returns to zero which is very,very confusing.

Fridge Owners Manual sequence has worked for me with minor forum additions . . .
      - 1 -  Trailer level.
      - 2 -   Propane on, and range burner test completed.
      - 3 -   Set Propane flame knob to high
      - 4 -   Set power source to Propane
      - 5 -   Press in and HOLD Propane flame knob
      - 6 -   Press spark button three times
      - 7 -   WAIT while HOLDING Propane flame knob in
      - 8 -   Watch analog gauge, normal start . . .
                 - 8.1 -  needle will reach center line
                 - 8.2 -  needle will enter Green area
                 - 8.3 -  CONTINUE to HOLD Propane flame knob in
                 - 8.4 -  needle will reach mid-point of Green area
      - 9 -   Release Propane flame knob.

Owners manual says press spark button up to five times seconds  I've found with a new unit it lights in 2 - 3  sparks.

After the first training session I have started the Fridge on propane successfully three times** using the above 9 steps.
    ** yep, my TAB is very new indeed

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    @TikiBarTab

Am also a 2018 Model owner and had a bit of trouble getting the propane to operate the first time.  While the above how-to-light instructions are helpful they all sound like pre-2018 Fridge model.

For the 2018 model:
     - A -   There is no green eye pilot light, there is an analog gauge, marked white, red line, green.
     - B -   The pilot spark button is just like a home grill one push equals one spark.

Each time the operator pushes the spark button the analog gauge jumps in the white area and returns to zero which is very,very confusing.

Fridge Owners Manual sequence has worked for me wiht minor forum additions . . .
      - 1 -  Trailer level.
      - 2 -   Propane on, and range burner test completed.
      - 3 -   Set Propane flame knob to high
      - 4 -   Set power source to Propane
      - 5 -   Press in and HOLD Propane flame knob
      - 6 -   Press spark button three times
      - 7 -   WAIT while HOLDING Propane flame knob in
      - 8 -   Watch analog gauge, normal start . . .
                 - 8.1 -  needle will reach red line
                 - 8.2 -  needle will enter Green area
                 - 8.3 -  CONTINUE to HOLD Propane flame knob in
                 - 8.4 -  needle will reach mid-point of Green area
      - 9 -   Release Propane flame knob.

Owners manual says press spark button up to five times,  I've found with a new unit it lights in 2 - 3  sparks.

After the first training session I have started the Fridge on propane successfully three times** using the above 9 steps.
    ** yep, my TAB is very new indeed

My goodness, the new fridge has a more complicated procedure than the old.
  • Options
    The process sounds pretty similar to me. The biggest difference seems to be that the igniter is now manual (like on your BBQ grill) as opposed to running automatically off the battery. The gauge appears to have replaced the green light and provides more information as to the status of the flame. Both of these features seem like improvements over the previous model.

Holding the gas valve open until the thermocouple heats up sufficiently to maintain flow is the same for both units, as it is for other types of propane devices.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    ScottG said:
    The process sounds pretty similar to me.  . . .

The biggest difference seems to be that the igniter is now manual (like on your BBQ grill) as opposed to running automatically off the battery.

Yes big picture it's the same process.  Having a Peizo Lighter is a big difference which adds to user confusion when reading thread posts.  Just as we need to know TV or T@B Model details to understand a T@BBERs question . . . now we need to know does the Fridge have the Green Eye or a Needle Gauge.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    The process sounds pretty similar to me. The biggest difference seems to be that the igniter is now manual (like on your BBQ grill) as opposed to running automatically off the battery. The gauge appears to have replaced the green light and provides more information as to the status of the flame. Both of these features seem like improvements over the previous model.

Holding the gas valve open until the thermocouple heats up sufficiently to maintain flow is the same for both units, as it is for other types of propane devices.
    Okay, in my home I have a gas range, gas furnace, gas water heater, and gas fireplace. Each of those things takes ONE STEP to light up. Why does this have to be so difficult that we need 9 step written procedures? It’s a fridge for pete’s sake.
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Different answers for each device and what type a system it has. The general answer is that you don't turn the gas off and reset the pilots on them all the time as in a  trailer so you don't notice it.  My gas water heater starts in approximately the same 9 steps.  Last lit the pilot, with a match, 4 or more years ago.  
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    The fridge must be dead level. I set a bubble level on top of the fridge to be sure. 2017 Tab 320 MaxS model, guts on the right. I had a friend help me light it Friday night. It was very testy. I'm going to play with it at home again to get it right the first time!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Homebodyatheart, Patience, grasshopper, patience. Oh, and persistence helps too. Yours was a LOT bigger challenge to get lit than mine on a BAD day. (Of course havin' my readin' specs on mighta helped! :o)  When  you get it down to where it is much easier, please share with the other folks with the same model the procedure you went through, so as to save them the frustrations of getting it through the trial & error method! :o:s Thanks! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @ericnliz will do! Didn't get to it today, but it's on my short list!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    MandyLeaMandyLea Member Posts: 52
    These are all GREAT suggestions! And certainly make sure you've double checked all of the things listed above... 

I personally have to light my fridge, like, constantly since I am full-timing. If there is every anything not perfect, it won't light, even if there is a tiny tiny breeze.

After hours of trying to light my fridge - I found my trick. On the newer models there is an access panel on the outside of the camper (a white vent), you can open this up and access the pilot light directly. I have Kendrick light the pilot with a long handle aimnflame while I push the button. We get it lit in seconds every time no matter the conditions.
    2018 Black T@B Outback | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Love & Light!
  • Options
    @MandyLea, Thanks for the input! I thought I was going to wear multiple fingers out on @Homebodyatheart's igniter! I'm sure glad I haven't experienced what I went through with her's while boondocking, especially since I prefer running mine on the propane setting anyway. 
    @Homebodyatheart, NOW, you have yet another reason for Mr. @Homebodyatheart to join you camping! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    Hi, we're heading out on our first camping outing with our new 2018 T@B 320S Boondock. We had trouble finding a local place that would fill our propane tank (most places here just do tank exchanges), but I finally got it filled a couple of days ago. So this evening was the first chance that I've had to try the fridge on propane.

And it refused to light. Totally. As in nothing. No hissing, no sound of ignition, no matter what I did!  The little gauge just sat there, without even a little wigglel.

And we are going to be at a state park campground that has no hookups, where the fridge will only work if it runs on propane.

I check and my T@B is very close to being perfectly level, the propane is on (and I cranked it open slowly), and the stove burners both light, and the air is totally calm.  But the fridge would not ignite and (the gauge still would not move at all.  I was getting pretty bummed out.

What finally worked for me was turning the gas valve back from high (even though the instructions tell you to turn it to HI).  At the next lower setting (at about 2:00), it fired up on the 3rd click, and the gauge finally moved to the far right, well into the green.

After letting it run for a minute or so, I turned the gas setting back to HI, and the gauge immediately dropped slowly until it was all the way back to the left again.  After relighting it (at the 2:00 position), I left it running for about 30 minutes,  Then I tried the HI position again and it promptly went out again.  Apparently my T@B's fridge doesn't get any propane when the setting is at the HI/coldest position (all the way to the right).

I just wanted to let others know about my quirky fridge and how it did not ignite when I followed the instructions exactly. If your fridge does not ignite, even after you are sure you did everything correctly  . . . try turning the propane down from HI to the next lower setting.  I'm VERY lucky that I tried this and that it worked for me.

Now back to packing for tomorrow's adventure!
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    Thank goodness you got it figured out. When you get back, be sure to call NüCamp. Are you leaving it on overnight to thoroughly cool and maybe taking some containers of frozen water?

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ya know, we have a lot of amazing, genius troubleshooters! Thank you for sharing your experience. It's so VERY important. I hope you have the best time camping!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Arwen, So glad you got your fridge figured out. I know mine is actually cooler at the 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 setting than it is any higher than that. Thank goodness I had the foresight to put a thermometer inside before it decided to get warmer at a higher setting & cause problems, as we were on a 6 day boondock trip with quite a bit of food in the fridge. Congrats on figuring that one out. As frustrating :o:s as I personally know it can get, usually one can figure it out if you're persistent enough.  :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    To the 2019 T@B 400 owners, unlike me, you really should read the LP stove’s instructions posted on the bottom side of the protective glass. I was used to turning the knob all the way to the right, push in and light it. Nooooo, in the 400,you go to the largest flame icon (next to the last icon), push in, light it, wait a few seconds, then let go. It took me two evening to figure it out, 

Of course, there’s the faucet handles in the sinks. Just turn them, right? Noooo......you push the handle out to the right and then turn them to adjust the temp. That took me 15 minutes to figure out there was not a separate valve to control the water flow to the faucets since the shower worked.  No, I haven’t read the instructions yet......in due time.....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    MandyLea said:
    These are all GREAT suggestions! And certainly make sure you've double checked all of the things listed above... 

I personally have to light my fridge, like, constantly since I am full-timing. If there is every anything not perfect, it won't light, even if there is a tiny tiny breeze.

After hours of trying to light my fridge - I found my trick. On the newer models there is an access panel on the outside of the camper (a white vent), you can open this up and access the pilot light directly. I have Kendrick light the pilot with a long handle aimnflame while I push the button. We get it lit in seconds every time no matter the conditions.
    It is great that you can do this. The igniter  seems to be the source of many a woe on these three-way fridges. I am curious if someone with long arms could do this, solo?

I still need to research if there is a 2 way available that will fit into the spot, without serious modification, of the 3 way.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014