Options

Replaced My Visor Tie Down System

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
I've alway felt the Visor tie down system was rather whimpy and I found myself not setting it up if there was even a slight breeze - The breeze would shift it in the rail and hose the whole thing. In fact, I'd gotten so annoyed with it that there were times I seriously about throwing the whole thing in the firepit and calling it a day.

The rail system is nice but I have shoelaces with more heft than the tie down cords and if the breeze catches it right it can shift the visor in the rail so it starts coming out at the feed point. And even though tying it back into the lower rail seems like a nifty idea, in practice I found it wanting.

So, while in Walmart I got two 6' tie-down straps, four adjustable screw clamps, ball bungies and two clips - all in the camping supplies area.

So my system now is to...
1) Feed the visor into the rail
2) Clamp the right side with a clamp and ball bungie to keep the breeze from pulling it up the rail.
3) Feed in the tent polls
4) Clamp the left side with a clamp and ball bungie
At this point, it isn't going anywhere.
5) Drive my stakes, clamp the new tie down straps to the tabs, hook to the stakes and tighten down.

The Visor has never been so nice and tight - not a wrinkle anywhere as you can see in the first pic.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If you are on pavement you could use sandbags.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Ya, that's one place where the original system was designed to work - don't need stakes. As discussed in other threads though, you get a breeze and the visor flips over the top of the T@B with the original. I'm rarely on pavement and the few times I have been I can position the T@B closer to the edge so I can get the stakes set.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Jenn - Off topic - I believe you have the "S" - Have you ever checked to see if your fresh water tank drain valve handle is still there? My original as well as the replacement have both fallen off in transit. Since yours is back at the factory, it's another thing to check. I've given up on their valve and just use a crescent wrench.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated, yeah, I have had no problems with that handle and have used it a number of times. Seems like an odd thing to have fall off!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I like the ball bungee addition.  Haven't had too much trouble with movement, but definitely notice lateral movement.  Great tip.  Definitely will beat gusts that can fold the visor over the Tab, although I haven't had any trouble with the "shoelace" tie downs since I added the stakes to my setup a while back and like the simple tightening system it offers, but can understand the desire for stronger tie down cords.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you!  I like this idea.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Yep, my fresh water drain lever is gone to. I too decided to simply use a wrench, don't use it that much.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    leenscottfl - Welcome to the club - When I get back to my old stomping grounds I'm going to have a plumber buddy put on one of those heavier duty red handle hobbies.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited August 2015
    PXLated said:
    leenscottfl - Welcome to the club - When I get back to my old stomping grounds I'm going to have a plumber buddy put on one of those heavier duty red handle hobbies.
    PXLated did you get around to doing this? Got a photo??
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    No, since I rarely have to drain that tank - staying away from cold so don't have to winterize and using the water and refilling with fresh all the time - it didn't make my priority list.
  • Options
    LehfeldtLehfeldt Member Posts: 20
    Clever idea, thank you, PX.
    Human: Christopher Lehfeldt T@B: 2016 Max Q named "atT@Boy" TV: 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E HQ: Rochester, NY
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    No, since I rarely have to drain that tank - staying away from cold so don't have to winterize and using the water and refilling with fresh all the time - it didn't make my priority list.
    Makes sense. Thanks.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Gonna do it at some point though.
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Where is this valve for draining the fresh water tank that you mention? I'm new to the T@b and assumed the only way to drain the tank would be to run the faucet until the tank is empty, then drain the gray water tank. And right now, as an example, my T@b is in my driveway and not level and the gray water tank will not drain. A drain valve for the tank would be very useful. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Vito - This applies to the external fresh water tank (not the previous internal one) - the drain valve is down behind the door step to the left.
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited August 2015
    @PXLated -- we've not boondocked yet so have never filled the fresh water tank (we have a 2015 Max S) so we've never tried to empty it. It's my understanding that hooking up to shore water doesn't involve the fresh water tank (or pump) at all. When we've gone home at the end of a weekend, we've unhooked the city water, run the faucets until they stop, then emptied our (black then) grey water at the dump station. No fresh water tank empty valve involved. That's correct, isn't it?

I'll have to crawl around and find that valve this weekend when we get to camp, just for learning purposes. I do plan to work up my nerve to go boondocking eventually!
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Bgaultieri, it is pissible you do do have some water in your on board tank.  As part of prepping mine for pick-up (and part of testing for leaks) my dealer put a couple gallons in there.  It might be worth checking out just to be sure.
  • Options
    Bgualtieri - That's correct, the two water systems are separate so unless you (or as Sally mentioned, your dealer) manually filled thru the water intake, your tank should be empty.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    The one time I used my visor, I just put an "S" style caribiner at the end of the existing tie downs, and then staked those out. It seemed to work fine, except I need more orange ribbon as I kept clotheslining myself. I don't have a lower keder rail, so that was never an option for me to use it as designed.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    The one time I used my visor, I just put an "S" style caribiner at the end of the existing tie downs, and then staked those out. It seemed to work fine, except I need more orange ribbon as I kept clotheslining myself. I don't have a lower keder rail, so that was never an option for me to use it as designed.
    Carol, as any times as I have clotheslined myself with the Cottonwood and the 5x7 screen room, in the past 3 weeks, I truly didn't clothesline myself with the two ratchet straps on the Visor XL. Amazing!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Next chance I get to go to Wal-Mart, I'm looking for Blue ratchet straps :) Even though I had an awesome vacation, work has kicked me in the xxxx since I got back. I haven't even unloaded the truck yet, or pulled clothes from the camper!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    One thing I do differently now if it's gusty/windy - I attach the top clamps directly around the rod (I protect the nylon with a thin piece of rubber). When attached to the little straps when gusty, it tends to have too much flex and stretches the nylon - temporarily. Then I clamp a couple of light sticks to the little straps so I don't clothesline myself.
  • Options
    PXLated, could you show a picture, please?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - Next time I set it up I'll snap one - doing a bunch of one-nighters at the moment so don't bother with the Visor.
  • Options
    That's fine. I don't understand which clamps you are using. I grew to love my Visor XL. No more showers while at the door!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Here is another version of the clamps that I use to tie my visor to the handle.  Thread a cord thru the tail and attach it to the handles on both sides.  I just leave it attached permanently. The keder rail insert is the round thing at  the bottom right of the picture.  I still use the cords that came with the visor (added glow in the dark cord to it keep it visible day and night).  I haven't felt a need to add them to limit the flexing rod, but the shark clips came 4 to a pack, so I have a couple that I can use if the need arises.   
  • Options
    Ball Bungies work well to attach the clamps to the handles.
  • Options
    Thanks Mash and PXLated. I forgot about those clamps. I just took two similar clamps out of my storage box and put them in the Visor's bag for the next trip. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    These are the same type clamps I used at Tearstock.  I have found that if I clamp them over the rod then anchor with tent stakes the visor seems to have less slack.  I use duct tape to protect the material where I place the clamps.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Yep, less slack, keeps it nice and tight.