Outback Tire Suggested Replacements

Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
Any suggestions on a replacement tire with the same aggressive tread pattern as the original Westlakes? I've had good luck with the original tires but I would like to upgrade to a non Chinese made tire. Most ST type tires don't have the tead pattern I want. There are tons of light truck tires that fit (235-75r-15) but I'm not sure the sidewalls are strong enough. I'm going to the tire shop this week to ask but I was hoping someone had a solution from the site who had already upgraded. 

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,587
    . . . There are tons of light truck tires that fit (235-75r-15) but I'm not sure the sidewalls are strong enough.  . . .

My Feb-2018 built T@B has Milestar (China) 235 / 75R15 XL instead of 'ST' construction tires direct from NuCamp.

I researched this tire type an found:

. . . The XL designation has less to do with actual load carrying capacity and is more about the tires internal construction. XL designated tires have additional material added to the shoulder of the tire for extra strength. These reinforced shoulders (usually accomplished with polyamide belting found where the sidewall and tread meet) are designed to minimize any tire deflection and reduce the chance of having a road impact injury. Tires that are engineered with reinforced sidewalls are considered to be XL or RF tires (with RF tires having even more reinforcements than XL tires) and typically fall into the performance tire category. . . .

Standard 'ST' tires also have stronger/reinforced side walls.

Speed and Load Rating of tire is also important.

The Milestar 235 / 75R15 XL are
      Load Index  109   { 2271 pounds at 50PSI }
      Speed Index T      { 118 MPH }

Suggest you make sure your replacement tire meets or exceeds the Speed/Load rating of your presently installed tires.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Our General AT Grabbers have been great, will buy again if they still make them when we need them.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Make sure that you are buying the properly load rated tires...and then keep them properly inflated.
    http://www.besttraveltrailers.org/best-travel-trailer-tires/

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    db_cooper said:
    Our General AT Grabbers have been great, will buy again if they still make them when we need them.
    I will second this. They are a reasonably price, quality A/T tire. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    I I think I will look into the General AT Grabbers. Thanks
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    I do not know about the T@G, since We own a T@G outback, but I did compare my T@G tire with my jeep wrangler tire, and my load range D original jeep Good Year wrangler tire had a bit higher load range than the TAG and of course, a higher speed rating.

I would see why trailer tire have a trailer only regulation, but do not understand why a vehicule tire would have a non trailer possibility.

and yep, side wall are the same construction.  And load is at a slightly lower pressure on my jeep tire.

so, I would say, just shop around and ask questions.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • CanyonTravelersCanyonTravelers Member Posts: 40
    Speaking of Outback tires... We have a 320S with the Outback axle and tires. I was working on the trailer and went to remove the tire and was surprised that if I didn’t crank it up real high I could not get the tire to clear the plastic wheel well molding. The tire is bigger around than the wheel well lip. Has anyone else noticed this?