DIY Sun Canopy for Outback

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

Wanted something to shield the T@B from the Arizona sun. This is a modified ShelterLogic Monarc 9 x 16 canopy ($179).  The end result is a 9 wide by 13 foot long canopy that allows the ceiling fan cover to open approximately 70% and the front window approximately 80% full without touching the fabric.  The white pipe was needed as I had damaged one of the Monarc pieces (to be painted black).  Uses PTO pins for fast assembly and takedown.  Can be assembled by one person, but not something you'd want to do just for a short campout.  Will cut four pieces of MDF board for lag bases and screw the pole feet to them.  I bought some canopy weight bags from Amazon to put over the MDF boards.  The passenger side does not interfere with my Pahaque XL visor or awning (wanted to use them with this).  The driver side provides 34" of shade (more than enough to cover the open window).  Cost = $179 Monarc canopy, $30 PTO pins and $17 weight bags for a total of $226. A step ladder with a 30" top step is needed to reach the top.  Total weight is only 38 lbs.  Step ladder is another 7 lbs. More detailed photos available if you're interested in doing this.  I'm personally VERY happy with the results and now look forward to camping this summer.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• LittleBoyBlueLittleBoyBlue Member Posts: 22
    Looks great.  Pretty reasonable.  I just got my 320s and need something like this in Florida too. 
    Mike & Sara Ross - Panama City, Florida - mrosspc@gmail.com - 2015 Toyota Sienna - Little Boy Blue - 2018 T@B S

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Update: Just found a sun tracker app for my smartphone ($9.99).  Allows you to view the sun's movement using the phone's camera.  This will be great for positioning the T@B while boondocking so as to maximize the front shaded area of the canopy during the hottest part of the day.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Thanks Tabaz, now to shield your tires from that Arizona sun.  ShelterLogic makes some nice stuff for an affordable price.  Would you get less shade/more ventilation for the front window if you turned the Tab around?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    SAM said:
    Thanks Tabaz, now to shield your tires from that Arizona sun.  ShelterLogic makes some nice stuff for an affordable price.  Would you get less shade/more ventilation for the front window if you turned the Tab around?
    Yes, but that defeats the purpose.  My main concern was having enough clearance for the ceiling fan cover when open.  The tip of the cover is at the apex of the arch, so should get plenty of air movement from the fan.  The front window opens up enough to also allow sufficient air movement.  May add some sun shade cloth on the front area just below the tarp for added screening.  My thought now is to aim the front of the trailer toward the late afternoon sun.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Looks like a nice solution!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Tabaz, very nicely done! Looks great and I'm sure functions from a practical perspective. Kudos! Never ceases to amaze me how creative t@b owners become, especially after a while. Really don't see that with the big rigs or busses. Not only does this serve your purpose, but looks like a professionally produced product. Thanks.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    This is all I need to keep cool in the hot AZ sun!  =)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @larrygon, I'm guessin' that falls in to the "great spirits" category! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

:) Larry - The ice in that drink will stay colder longer under the cooling shade of the new Tabazopy.

This idea seems to have a lot of promise.  It is the Offroad Gear shelter ($119 on Amazon, $60 on sale). 

Benefits:

Very easy for one person to assemble on the ground and place on the roof.

Allows maximum opening of the ceiling fan vent cover

Will keep the interior the same temperature as outside in the shade.

Has two Velcro slats on either side for more circulation.

Keeps the interior darker, making it feel "cooler."

Holds up fairly well with moderate wind.

Works with the Pahaque awning or visors.

Can add a second visor to the driver side Keder rail for shading that side of the T@B.

Front wall can be folded in half and will Velcro to the two poles.

A second wall can be added to the rear for more sun protection.

It was 82 outside in the shade at 6,700' elevation.  The cabin temp never exceeded 82.  Will be adding the small Pahaque visor to the driver side for additional shade.  Did not use the small fiberglass center pole (left to right) because I was concerned it might scratch the roof trim.  Will be getting correct sized bungees for the rear tie-downs on the tire rack.  Very pleased with the results of this first test.

Great idea @Tabaz .  It is essentially a Hasika/King Camp sun shelter with an extra wall and some bungees.  Sure beats the 40# pop up that we will be using to cover our TaB at the beach.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I also wonder if there is an advantage for the fridge cooling efficiency to cover the front of the Tab.  I've rigged a tarp over the front a few times when in the hot desert sun, and I have the "feeling" it helped.  This tent would do a much better job.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Tabaz, did you find the ShelterLogic canopy to be a problem?

From the looks, I like that one better, as it seems to be more open and ventilating (and lighter color - better to reflect heat?)

It really seems to be the answer to the 'baking sun on the skin of the Tab' issue, giving a nice moving air barrier, and blocking the direct sun.

How did it work for you?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Chan:

The Shelter Logic prototype weighs 38 pounds before addition of the plywood boards for the four feet and sandbags attached to each leg.  Plus another 15 pounds for a 6 foot folding ladder.  Plus lots of time needed to struggle with putting together the numerous metal sections, getting the 8' x 15' tarp over the frame, then putting all the bungees in the tarp, and filling the sandbags with dirt.  I found it very cumbersome and time-consuming for one person.  But it does work great once up.  This new deal weighs only 9 pounds and assembles in under 15 minutes.  I'll be using my Pahaque awning on the door side and their XL visor on the driver side next campout to see how it all works together.

Aha. That explains it. Thanks.

To bad they don't offer it in a more reflective color!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    ChanW said:
    Aha. That explains it. Thanks.

To bad they don't offer it in a more reflective color!
    If it were me, and if I didn’t hate sewing so much, I’d almost be inclined to use the fabric as a template and reconstruct it out of a good light colored shade cloth. It looks like a great option, but I agree it seems like it would be more effective in a more reflective color. Will be watching to see how this turns out!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Like King Camp, it has a UV coating.
    • “DURABLE AND BULT TO LAST: Made of high quality tent grade polyester with UV Coating it is built to last for many seasons and even in the harshest conditions.”
    S_i_S:
    I neglected to state the "wall" tore at one corner near the tent peg as a result of some very moderate wind. The overall construction is cheap. I would be surprised if it lasts two summers. Because another forum member alerted us to a Flash Sale on Amazon for $60, I gave it a try. I may take it to a local upholstery shop and have a custom unit made with (1) reflective fabric, (2) curved sides to accommodate the visors and (3) stronger wall material.  This product is not worth the $120 retail price.
    Aww drat. After reading the description (for the King Camp), it sounded like they tried hard for good quality... 

Good idea to have one made with known quality fabric, but good chance it'll weigh more!

@Sharon_is_SAM, I interpreted "UV coating" to mean UV resistant fabric (wouldn't break down with sun exposure), rather than reflective. I think the Chinese have learned to use whatever phrase sounds good, in their product descriptions, whether it's accurate or not! Too bad, you can't trust 95% of the items that are sold on Amazon! Even the reviews are faked.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @ChanW, you are right - it is to preserve the fabric.
  • RobbarinoRobbarino Member Posts: 8
    @Tabaz - I love this idea! I wonder if the next larger size will work for the TAB 400?
    Thanks for this inspiration!!