Options

Two 6 volt batteries in the tub of the 2016 T@B S 320 - No Way!

People on the forum have said they have put 2 batteries in the tub, but I cannot see anyway it can be done. I have made a cardboard template of the batteries:
  • Length: 10.25 in
  • Width: 7.125 in
Even with ignoring the propane connector and the power switch I have tried every way of placing the batteries and no go. I know it can work in the Outback version, but not mine. The only thing I can figure is that some of the standard tubs are larger or that the tub is moved forward making more room. Is this like a rubik's cube and I have just not figured out the magic formula or what...
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    mandt said:
    People on the forum have said they have put 2 batteries in the tub, but I cannot see anyway it can be done. I have made a cardboard template of the batteries:
    • Length: 10.25 in
    • Width: 7.125 in
    Even with ignoring the propane connector and the power switch I have tried every way of placing the batteries and no go. I know it can work in the Outback version, but not mine. The only thing I can figure is that some of the standard tubs are larger or that the tub is moved forward making more room. Is this like a rubik's cube and I have just not figured out the magic formula or what...
    6 volts vary in size. My Trojan T105+ batteries would not fit in the Outback tub without modification.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @mandt, the standard tub gets moved away from the trailer.  We have a single, large AGM and that is how the factory made room.  I saw a pic of another one somewhere on the forum where they moved the propane holder and made more room.  Verna has 2 6 volts with the standard tub, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @SAM, I have the diamond plate larger tub. I moved the propane tank to the middle and I have a battery on either side of it to balance the load. The wiring is not as neat as when they are dude by side, but they work just fine. 

@cbarnhill has a standard tub with two 6-Volt batteries do they will fit in the standard plastic tub. Do a search for cbarnhill and you will find her post. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Oops.  Didn’t you originally have 2 in the standard tub?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @SAM, no. I changed to the diamond plate tub within weeks of purchasing the T@B, although it took me over 5 months to get the welding completed to put the propane tank in the middle, and to then install the batteries. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    AMslAMsl Member Posts: 6
    Just completed my twin trojan 6v install in the Outback tub. Initially the cardboard footprint of the batteries showed the batteries would not fit, close, but no cigar. If I moved the tank holder, I would gain enough, only needed a 1/2". I found that I only had to grind the welds of the holder leg closest to the batteries. This was good because I was sure the grinder would not  fit in to  grind the welds of the other holder legs. I reattached the holder leg, about 3/4" from its original position, using aluminum rivets, the propane tank still fits in fine. Made up some brackets from some aluminum angle stock I had, attached these to bottom of tub with rivets as well.
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Thank you so much. This is one of my next serious mods. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    Unfortunately I do not have the Outback.
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    @mandt, I think @Ron has 2 6 volts in his tub and an upgraded propane tank - the kind you can see through.
  • Options
    Nevermind- he has the upgraded tub.  
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Sam- i have the standard tub and i have 2-6volt batteries in there. They had to move the propane tub slightly and make a stand for the batteries. Here’s a picture. 

Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Thank you @cbarnhill.  I knew there was one out there somewhere!
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think key is to measure and make a template with the dimmensions of your batteries.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PGSUtahPGSUtah Member Posts: 9
    @AMsl   can you please post of pic of the configuration of the battery wires on two 6 volts.   Just got mine and need to be sure I'm doing it correctly
    thanks
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    https://www.etrailer.com/question-60431.html

What year and model trailer do you have?  Do you have the solar port on the tub?  

• Options
    thank you   2017 Outback
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    And yes I do have solar (Zamp) port in the tub.  Does that make a difference in hooking it up correctly?  
  • Options
    I am not sure if the solar hook up is different with 6 volts.  Jenn, Verna can you comment here?
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    edited May 2018
    I have the Zamp 160watt panel and controller, along with two 6 volt batteries connected in series as shown.  Works great!  I even have the same Duracell batteries.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    PGSUtah said:
    And yes I do have solar (Zamp) port in the tub.  Does that make a difference in hooking it up correctly? 
    The solar should hook to the same terminals as the wires running into the T@B. From your photo it looks like that's exactly what you have done!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    One thing I missed in this discussion about the 2 - 6 volt batteries is the weight.  While perhaps they will fit in a standard 320 tub, I see they run about 60 pounds a piece, for a total of 120.  That’s a lot of tongue weight.  Bikes, spare tire... no can do...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @TerryV6, any extra weight that is added to the tongue can be counterbalanced by putting more of your load in the Tab behind the axle.

Just have to get more canned goods!  =)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Hmmmm...  my wife won’t tell me her weight..  grin

Seriously, I guess I’ll have to get out my hitch weight thingy and do some recording of weights with different configurations.  In the past, we’ve tried to have our camper in camping ready condition.  We could just unhitch, drop stabilizers and go in and make coffee.  Our first camps when we purchased the T@b, we had stuff inside that we had to unpack. We wanted to get away from that.  I’ll have to see what I have to counterweight with...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    @TerryV6, we were concerned about tongue weight limits, as well.  In the end, we decided that an AGM was the most important factor (limited maintenance, very low self discharge rate, tolerated creative positioning, etc) and we chose an expanded, but, middle of the road amp hr (150).  It weighs 96# - so 25# less than two 6V.  The clams have a 12 to 15# heavier tongue weight to begin with, so we had to factor that in, too.  Funny, with the kitchen in the rear, you would think the tongue weight would be less than the S model, so maybe the slight axel position difference accounts for that?  Our tongue weight is 225# and that includes a full lpg tank, a second lpg tank, and our Brahma wheel lock forward of the axel, plus other gear carried on the floor between the benches.  
  • Options
    I've got it.. I used to do a lot of scuba.  The lead weights from my belt.  Add or subtract...Grin..Well, I guess not, my weights were only about 20 pds total.  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI