Options

Another Broken Trim Issue...

2»

Comments

• Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Like @ScottG, this thread caused me to check our 2017 Outback. Email sent to nüCamp.... Break is clear through. Trailer has stored indoors all winter.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    Alfiris2Alfiris2 Member Posts: 11
    I just bought a TAB 320s Boondock 2018. The top side trim is not one piece, but two pieces.  It has a seam. The tech guy who did the walkthrough said that since the piece kept breaking in the same place NüCamp decided to use two pieces for the trim, with the seam in the middle. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    @Alfiris2, my 2015 also has the seam you describe. I was under the impression all T@Bs had them but I may be wrong.

Minor cracking around the screw head adjacent to that seam is quite common. Mine did it within a year, but I just patched it with a little silicone caulking and called it good since it's not visible from the ground anyway.

Regardless, while the seam/expansion joint may help, it clearly does not prevent additional cracking further down on the trim.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have a response from the nüCamp factory:

I will certainly pass this along to R&D – unfortunately, we don’t make our own trim and can’t control the vendor.  They warranty it for about a year…after that, cracked trim due to weathering/impact, etc is not covered. We are discussing new molds in the next year or two, so maybe a design change (less sharp bends) will help!”
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I also contacted nuCamp repairs with regard to my own issue. While I didn't indicate any connection with the forum, I did express my opinion that the prevalence of this problem suggests a defect in either manufacturing or installation of the trim.

I solicited advice on replacement or repair (including DIY) and was given the standard answer of purchasing the part and replacing it myself. I'm still waiting on a quote, but am unlikely to shell out for a replacement with no assurance that the cracks will not reoccur, or that additional cracks will not develop in other pieces.

At this point I'll settle for repairing (or removing) and perhaps consider replacement when and if nuCamp follows through with a redesign.

UPDATE: For reference purposes, I was quoted $133 for the part and $130 for shipping.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    If we develop more cracks, I’m going to consider total removal and painting black stripes on the roof and sides to “mirror” the trim. Aesthetically, I like the look. While not having the 3 dimensional appeal, it could still be boondocky. Just need to figure out if there’s a reliable paint to use that won’t itself crack in the heat and cold-oh wait!-auto body painters do it!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @ScottG , @jgram2 ,
    you could make your own from oak or another wood and really have a custom look !

This has been an issue for a long time, even with the DM T@B's.  Seems to make no difference what color it is or severity of winter location.

My theory is the type of plastic used ? 
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    How about a decal instead?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Left plain I don't think it would look much different than the CS models which lack edge trim all together.

The wood trim idea is pretty tempting, though!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I had another local tab owner over last week to help upgrade their fan and a few other repairs. They just took their blue 2015 320S out of storage and we found 4 cracks in the top trim- 2 clean through, 1 80% through and one hairline. All of these happened this year during storage.

It was a relatively mild winter here (for Ontario, Canada). There seems to be no rhyme or reason to where the cracks are occurring other than slightly more likely in the rear upper trim set.

Btw - I contacted nüCamp and their first response was to offer a replacement shipped to Canada at their cost (trailer purchased a year ago new). Kudos to the warranty department for the unwavering support! I have not decided whether I will take them up on the kind (but very expensive to them) offer. Like @ColoradoJon, I suspect that this might be a recurring issue.

My inclination is to have our local plastic shop hot air weld the trim and work with nüCamp to see if there is a better long term solution. I would rather support nüCamp (and not waste their money) in finding the right answer for the trailer that we have every intention of keeping for a very long time.

I am very interested to hear other folks take on this...

And it's finally time to get out camping!!!
  • Options
    @ScottG I am taking our tab in next week to have the crack addressed at a local plastic fabrication shop. I expect that it will take 10 minutes to have a fillet hot air weld done in place on the tab. This probably cost me coffee and donuts. I expect this will stabilize the trim and not suck aesthetically. I'll post results to this thread when it's done.
  • Options
    Sounds good, @hymie. I'm not exactly sure what a "fillet hot air weld" is but sounds like a reasonable repair if one has access to a professional plastic shop. I'll await your report!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    mergsmergs Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2019
    We bought a 2010 T@B (Dutchmen) and there was a crack that was repaired by previous owner and we developed another one on the ride home (see hairline crack few inches left of the seam).

I plan to use clear Gorilla tape to repair it unless someone here has a better tried and true solution.
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @hymie    Did you ever get this plastic weld done?  How expensive was it, how is it holding up?  Was interested in this outcome.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!