Options

Where should we T@b next in the Northwest USA or even BC and Alberta?

broderiusbroderius Member Posts: 32
We are looking for places to camp that are not campsites in a pre plotted area, great off grid places that don't usually have a lot of people.  Off road or on road is fine. We are new to this and traditional camp sites are getting a bit old.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    edited May 2018
    Whenever I hear about traveling to Alberta & BC my thoughts immediately go to to the Rocky Mts.  Dozens of quite, off the beaten path opportunities even during high season near Banff, Jasper, Radium, Golden and Revelstoke.
    A little closer is the west side of Glacier NP.  Spectacular back country campsites and primitive campgrounds.   Look into Bowman Lake CG.
    Have fun!!

• Options
    Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
    Just came back from our trip from MA to Fairbanks. By far...the Yukon and British Colombia are the
    most "wild and spectacular" provinces in Canada! Great dry camping just off the roadside, as well as
    beautiful Provincial Parks. Saw a great deal of wildlife in these two provinces...herds of bison, brown and black bears, wild horses, mountain goats to name just a few. Traveled home on the Trans Canadian...and each province offers its own unique beauty...but the Yukon and BC are a must if possible!

Hope this is helpful :)
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Most of these have very little or limited development.
    https://forestcamping.com/
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    broderiusbroderius Member Posts: 32
    Thank you for the ideas Om3. I used to live out in Mass. I miss the food and ocean. Dale I just saved that website for my wife and I to go through. Thank you. 
  • Options
    scaupscaup Member Posts: 81
    There is a loop in NW BC Canada that heads north from Prince George to Watson Creek, Yukon then back south to Prince George. You can even make a side trip to Prince Rupert on the coast.....or at Prince Rupert, take the BC Ferry down to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island, go down Vancouver Island and take either The BC Ferry to Vancouver or the WA State Ferry back to Anacortes, WA. Be sure to book the BC Ferry a long time in advance if your trailer is over 7' tall.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We've been to the Jasper, Banff, and Kootenay parks several times, and while I didn't find any free off grid camping, some of the park sites are fairly primitive.  Wabasso in Jasper and Johnson Canyon in Banff are both no hookups and spaced good for privacy.

Down here in Washington state there's lots of good camps along forest roads.  Chewach area of Winthrop is especially nice. Skate Creek road near Mt Rainier further south.

Any more secrets you might find me.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    In the PNW, fall is hunting season (OR for sure), almost no free space to be found in the national forests, so might want to consider that in Fall travels. Of course after Thanksgiving many forests here have snow and unplowed roads too.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    We just came back through the Eastern Slopes (Alberta) today, on a long weekend. The "free" areas were full to the rafters  with folk. Rumour has it the Province is shutting down free camping after this year. I haven't been able to verify that, but the current government is renowned for shutting down public access.
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.