Options

Broken HDMI connector behind TV from faulty installation on 400

I hope someone here can be so kind as to advise me on how to fix this. My wife and I like to watch old classic horror films when camping sometimes, and that is all we use the TV for. The 400 has a pull away TV mount that allows you to face the TV into the front area for viewing. We only pulled the TV away from the wall to angle it for better viewing for both of us while in the bed.

This last trip in the camper, I found I was not getting a signal on the TV when I pulled it out from the wall. It only worked when pushed in. When I looked at the HDMI connector, it was already partially damaged because the  plastic cabling conduit had been fixed too short from the back of the TV and the connector was stressed and bent at the TV connection.

I bought a 90 degree HDMI connector in hopes of alleviating the stress on the cable and tried to attach it this evening. What I found was that the original HDMI connector was already hanging on by a thread and it broke completely. I now have a problem if I ever want to watch any more films in the camper. 

I have already sent pictures to Nucamp  with pictures of the problem. No, I can't take it back to the dealer because the dealer is 500 miles from me. I am willing to fix it myself, but to do it so it is as "good as new" - which I want since the camper is new - I am left with the option of pulling another HDMI cable through the wall, underneath the flooring, and up the wall by the bed to the back of the Jensen DVD player. I do not know if that can be done, and I would like to hear from someone who maybe has done it in another camper.  The other option is splicing a new connector on the cable, but after watching videos on that and seeing that I would not have a "good as new" connector, I would rather avoid that route. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I do love my old film classics when camping!

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Contact nuCamp. You dont necessarily have to go the dealer where you bought it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    As you have found, hdmi cables are factory molded and are not serviceable. As they are HD(hdmi) splicing would not be advisable. This leaves you with running a new cable, I’m sorry to say.  I, who made a living at soldering cables & connectors, would be hesitant to expect “like new” results. 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90

Thanks for the responses. @4ncar, after watching a few "How To" videos, I gave up on the splicing idea. @jkjenn, I have sent an email with pictures to Nucamp and I'll see what they suggest.

If it is an open run from the TV, underneath the floor, and up the wall to behind the DVD player, I can probably pull it with some prior preparation. If it is secured at any of those points, or has a tight turn, than it will have to probably have the under panel taken off to get access to the subfloor area. I don't want to do that in the driveway.

It certainly isn't an insurmountable problem that will prevent me going out, but it is annoying that they didn't allow for the stretch in the cable during installation when the TV was meant to be extended and turned from the wall. As I had wrote, I only use the TV for watching old classics (usually the old Wolfman, Frankenstein films) which has become kind of a tradition when we come in for the night. Right now the TV is only good for a cable connection which I have little interest in.

• Options
    FYI for anyone that finds themselves in a similar situation. Nucamp offered to send me the cable for replacement, but no suggestions of arranging for the repair.  I am on my own as far as the work (I did "volunteer" - stupid me.) 

I did the prep this morning and quickly found out it wasn't going to be a "simple pull" to install a new cable. To get access to the points where the old cable has been fastened down, so far I have had to:

1. pull the Jensen unit - no problem
    2. remove a corner trim piece that hides the wiring at the foot of the bed - no problem
    3. remove a few cable clamps behind the wood trim piece along the wall- no problem

But then I got to the section where the cable runs underneath the storage compartment floor and found that the cable did not exhibit any slack on pulling, thus realized that it was held down underneath by more cable clamps. So I had to dig deeper:

1. remove all storage compartment hatch doors
    2. figure out how the storage compartment flooring was secured 
    3. remove first, the back angled piece at the back of the compartment - which is not secured in and easily removed
    4. back out two screws set in the back of the floor panel
    5. remove all securing wood strips around the battery
    6. pull the battery back to the center compartment
    7. carefully lift the battery out of the compartment using the best body mechanics you can lifting in that space (seriously, get some help, I didn't and my back felt it) and place outside of the compartment
    8. slide the flooring back to expose the wires underneath and remove 3 more cable clamps holding down the hdmi cable

I went ahead and ordered a better cable than what came with the camper that is rated for in-wall installation. It is more flexible than the older cable and should be easier to pull through the partition wall where the Jensen is. I will be getting it tomorrow and then I can install it with the TV at maximum extension (with a 90 degree adapter) so I hopefully will not have this problem again.

If you want to prevent this from happening, and you do use your Jensen for movies, check your HDMI connector and make sure it isn't being stressed like mine was. Get a 90 degree adapter before it becomes damaged.

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Dag! Aka: “how to become intimately familiar with your t@b, whilst fully clothed!” Lol
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @4ncar, I did mention your cable to the T@B 400 line leader. He agreed it eouldn’t be easy to pull in a new cable, but he also agreed it would have to replaced, not repaired. The one 400 we looked at did have plenty of slack in the HDMI cable. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I would be tempted to bring up 2 cables in case you need a replacement in the future.  That is a lot of work!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    robpt.  I noticed you do not have the inverter.  When I ran the updated cable for the 40 amp circuit breaker, I cut a door into the panel below the bed and hinged it.  this allows us to access the storage under the bed so that I do not have to unmake the bed when we want access.  I also added a 1x2 to the top  of the panel connecting both sides for bed support .  I used blind nuts so that I can remove the 1x2 rail and slide the Heavy battery out if I need it out.  I could not lift our battery out myself! Also added the hold open stays to keep the lids open.  Made from 1/2 schedule 40 pvc pipe with table leg protectors.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    @4ncar , you aren't far from wrong, today it got in the 90's and the camper was not plugged in - so no air. After lifting that battery out, I was working up quite a sweat.

@SAM, I have thought the same thing. I might try since I will be getting two cables, but I think the space I have to pull through on the partition wall will be tight. I'll get a feel on how tight it is when I pull one cable through. 

@atlasb - fantastic job! I like the panel supports, simple and easy mod, but really, really needed if you have to get something out of there from the top. The battery would have been much easier to deal with if I could have just slid it out. It gives me food for thought on future mods to that area.
    Yes, that battery is heavy. I teach proper lifting techniques where I work to keep employees from blowing their backs out, but my 64 year old back certainly felt dead lifting this battery up and over the bed wall. Unfortunately, to get to the space underneath the floor where the hdmi cable was secured along with speaker wires with cable clamps, the battery had to go. Tomorrow when I start to put things back together, I'll see if I can snag the neighbor to help lift it back in.  

Of course I am gaining experience and confidence in fixing things myself. It would have been easier to let the hdmi cable go and just watch old classic horror films on a laptop or something, but it bothers me when something is broken - messes with my OCD nature - and I always maintain something as if I plan to sell it tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Fixed.

Not a  straight pull like I had imagined, as I had to gain access to all routes of the cable, cut zip ties and take up cable clamps. I had to take an additional cover off in the closet, that covered the air duct going to the bed area, and access a nest of wires zip tied behind the air conditioner duct. Once the zip tie holding that together was cut, I could thread the hdmi down into the water pump compartment, through the Alde compartment, through the space under the storage compartment flooring, up the corner where the corner piece trim hides the wiring, and up to the TV with the power and coaxial cable wrapped in the conduit tubing. Of course, everything was re-clamped and zip tied.

What was bad was the cable I ordered didn't work. When that was established after installing it, I had to run to Home Depot before it closed, buy additional 25' of CL3 HDMI cable, and start all over. This time, using the 90 degree angle adapter, I get signal to the TV from the wall out to room viewing as shown. When and if the cable Nucamp sends me comes, I will hold it as backup, but I hope I never have to do this again.  It would be nice to figure out where to put a wall plate with HDMI and coaxial connectors close to the TV so that replacing a cable would be painless. 

I never stopped to question whether I could could have gotten this done as warranty issue, but really, I don't know who would have done it, unless I drove the camper up to the factory and left it. I am sure they could have done it in much less time then it took me, but my expense in travel time would have not made it worth it. 

• Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I can't believe you did that all by yourself-I could never-i would have to drive it up to the factory
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    That, in itself, was a true horror show!!!