Question about Jensen system and HDMI connection

GATabberGATabber Member Posts: 31
edited May 2018 in Tips & Tricks
I honestly was not sure where to post this question, so I'm sorry if this is not the correct place! I am interested in hearing from anyone who is using their iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy 5 to stream Netflix (using their data plan - NOT wifi) by connecting their (phone) device to the HDMI port on the TV. I was about to purchase an HDMI adapter that would allow me to connect the devices, but I started seeing warnings about HDCP issues causing it not to work. So, basically, what the warnings state is that yes, you can mirror certain types of video from your phone to your TV with the adapter (like YouTube) -- but things like Netflix will not work. While investigating the HDCP issue, I found another suggestion about using an HDMI splitter (ViewHD 2-Port 1×2 Powered HDMI Splitter (Model: VHD-1X2MN3D)  to get around the HDCP issue -- but I'm wondering if anyone had used this device (or one similar) successfully for this purpose? Basically, I know that most campgrounds we will be at will not have wifi, so I need a way to play Netflix in our 2017 T@B 320s without using a device like a Chromecast - which would require wifi to work correctly. TIA for any advice on this issue!!
2017 T@B 320 S
TV 2012 Honda Odyssey/2018 Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• ClopidogrelClopidogrel Member Posts: 33
    you should be able to use chromecast by sharing your connection on the phone. Does anybody ever try it?
  • GATabberGATabber Member Posts: 31
    I was thinking the Chromecast would need wifi to work correctly. I can not use my phone as a hot-spot bc I have limited data for that purpose, and streaming a movie would  eat that up quickly. I was trying to find a way to make it all work with physical connections, and I believe the adapter would work for some videos, but from what I've seen online, not Netflix (which is the main one we want to work).  I'll see if I can get more info about the possibility of the Chromecast. Thanks for your reply. :)
    2017 T@B 320 S
  • trainwreckedtrainwrecked Member Posts: 31
    I have played downloaded Netflix, amazon, and vudu through a lightning to hdmi adapter with my iPhone 5se on our Jensen tv.  Never any hdcp issues.  Don’t even have to select anything, I just hook up the wires and it automatically shows on my phone and the tv.
    2016 T@b M@x S Sofitel >- 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6
    But it has to be downloaded? We're hoping to stream. (I know, I know..I'm wanting too much! LOL)
    2017 T@B 320 S
  • trainwreckedtrainwrecked Member Posts: 31
    i just haven’t tried streaming - I usually download a bunch when I’m on WiFi so I have options at the campground without having to burn up my data plan.  

This is the adapter I use...

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter for Select iPhone, iPad and iPod Models (MD826AM/A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rR18Ab710YDJN

2016 T@b M@x S Sofitel >- 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6
  • CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 123
    I have used Netflix with a lightning to HDMI adaptor directly from my phone
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited May 2018
    And for Android users with a Galaxy Note8 phone, here is what we use to mirror our screen on the tv via HDMI cable...

USB C to HDMI Adapter, CHOETECH (4K@60Hz) USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI Adapter (Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible) for 2017/ 2016 MacBook Pro, 2016/2015 MacBook, Samsung Galaxy Note 8/S8/S8 Plus etc.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DGKBYP

I have never tried streaming Netflix though, just streaming live soccer matches from USLsoccer.com, or content saved on our phones' sd cards.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    Carolyn said:
    Thanks Carolyn! Were you streaming (or was the Netflix content downloaded on your device)? Also, do you happen to know which adapter you are using? 
    2017 T@B 320 S
  • CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 123
    The adapter is an apple product that I purchased through Anazon. I have never downloaded any content- always streamd.
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    GATabber said:
    Carolyn said:
    Thanks Carolyn! Were you streaming (or was the Netflix content downloaded on your device)? Also, do you happen to know which adapter you are using? 
    if you are using an iphone then the adapter Trainwrecked shared will work to stream Netflix. if you use an android phone then use the one from BrianZ. I’ve used an iphone to stream but the problem is in campgrounds you dont always have strong cell service. Therefore if you DL content to a phone or tablet it is more reliable. 
  • drazilgoddrazilgod Member Posts: 11
    I have a way to stream most services,  but not exactly with the hardware you have. Also, as a sidebar, we discovered that although you can output HDMI from a lot of iPhone products,  the Apple OS limits what will be output, so just because you can watch Netflix on your iPhone, connecting the HDMI adapter will not allow you to watch this on the tv screen.
    Older Android devices used to support MHL (idk what that stands for). So if you had, say, a Samsung Note 3, you can plug an MHL adapter from phone to HDMI (tv) and anything on your phone shows on you tv. All apps, Netflix, everything. Works perfectly, sound even goes out over the Jensen stereo. I velcro my Note 3 to the back of the tv.
    The MHL protocol is not supported on newer phones as companies are trying to go the Chromecast, Firestick, AppleTV route. We have tried Chromecast and AppleTV in the T@B with disappointing results. The trick I think is to establish a stong local wifi network, and ultimately I found that I was trying to solve one problem (streaming to tv) by creating many more (Chromecast, router, wifi, etc).
    To bring this home, if you can find an old Android device that supports MHL, and you buy an MHL adapter cable, you should be very pleased with the results. The Note 3 we use is a phone, but we don't keep a SIM card in it. If we want to stream, I create a hotspot with my phone (Apple or Android) and tether the Note 3 to that. Usually, though, we download Netflix shows onto the Note 3 before leaving home. 
    If anyone wants more detail, with model numbers and pics, please email me.
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Ya, the big hurdle I’m finding is getting audio through the stereo. I am content with “suffering “ with the TV speakers, as with the firestick approach, I do not need 110VAC, as opposed to using my Apple TV device...time will tell; first trip with it will be Memorial Day weekend!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    I have the Jensen setup in my 2017 Tab cs but have no idea where the HDMI port is. Can anyone help me. I’ll probably have to download the manual,for my particular model.
  • MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    We need to use an USB to HDMI adapter to plug chromecast into tv?
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    With an Android LG V30 we hook Bluetooth to the Jensen then use a DDup USB C to HDMI cable (4k USB 3.1) from Amazon ($20) and the moment I plug in the cable (in the bottom back of the TV), the phone screen is echoed on the TV, and I can stream Netflix via wifi. Not that any parks have wifi that can support wifi Netflix streaming for all or even more than one of its campers.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    DougH said:
    With an Android LG V30 we hook Bluetooth to the Jensen then use a DDup USB C to HDMI cable (4k USB 3.1) from Amazon ($20) and the moment I plug in the cable (in the bottom back of the TV), the phone screen is echoed on the TV, and I can stream Netflix via wifi. Not that any parks have wifi that can support wifi Netflix streaming for all or even more than one of its campers.
    Download prior to entering said weak Wi-Fi Park....
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Floyd67Floyd67 Member Posts: 10
    For HDCP, what I noticed is that if I connect an Apple TV directly to the clamshell's rear TV (Jensen, circa 2015) through its HDMI input, I can connect to Netflix by 3g with my iPhone, and choose "Screen Mirroring' to the Apple TV, but it does not work. Both screens show anything else I do, just not the Neflix popup player in iPhone iOS11 on the clamshell TV screen.

Accidentally I found that If I start a 'hotspot' on the same phone, or on my wife's phone, that if I join that hotspot with both the Netflix-playing iphone and the Apple TV (which has it's own remote), then I can mirror fine as above. (3g iPhone connection, Netflix app, choose 'Screen Mirroring' from the iPhone bottom-swipe Control Center, watch on TV screen). (Someone must have made an agreement there where the Neflix app wont Apple TV mirror unless it can 'call home' by hotspot wifi simulation rather than 3g, or it's just a bug.)

All that said, we found its more often preferable to get old classic movie DVDs which are nearly free at this point, and just simpler and great while camping. Doing that you can also listen on the clamshell's excellent outdoor stereo speakers, which you can't do with the setup above given clamshell's rear TV's lack of stock audio connection to the Jensen center inside. When not watching a DVD, get a UE Roll speaker and bluetooth it with the source iPhone or better just plug it in the TV with an stereo mini to RCA adapter, using the TV's Setup menu (not Audio) to set audio output to 'variable'.
    :)
  • teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    I use a ScreenBeam Mini2 which allows me, without wifi, to mirror all the streaming services I have on my Galaxy S6 (Netflix, Showtime, HBO, CNN, etc.).  I purchased the device from Amazon:
    Actiontec ScreenBeam Mini2 Wireless... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14JG2Y?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf  
    The cost is about $48.

It plugs into the Jensen HDMI port and is powered by the USB port.  I have it neatly zip tied to the bracket arm behind the TV.  Because the S6 does not support MirrorLink, I also installed a free mirroring app on my phone.  

Providing I am getting a good data signal, it allows us to watch perfect TV.  When there is no data signal, we can watch movies I have previously downloaded to my phone.  Obviously, it also allows me to view anything on my phone, on the larger Jensen screen.

Hope others may find this helpful.
  • kdawgkdawg Member Posts: 24
    @trainwrecked — I have that same adapter and tried connecting it to the back of the Jensen TV HDMI cable, and then to my iPhone. I selected HDMI on my remote as the input, but it would not pull up any of my iPhone content. I'm not sure what I'm missing? Any suggestions would be great!!
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited October 2020
    @GATabber, first, you should be able to connect your IPhone 6 via the Apppe HDMI adapter to your TV and mirror the content to the TV Screen.  The TV is not a recording device, and HDCP should not block the NetFlix or other streaming content.

That said, streaming video on your phone direct to the Phone via cellular is going to take the same data usage, regardless of weather you connect direct to a TV or use a WiFi hotspot via your phone to stream via a box like Chromecast,
    while it is not going to increase your data usage, creating a hotspot will increase the phone battery usage.

As for getting the audio to the Jensen, you would need to plug the phone or 
    Chromecast device into the Radio head unit, as the TV monitor only has one HDMI port it uses for its connection to the stereo head unit.  You would need a USB connection to either the TV or Radio head unit or TV, then you would get audio on the house speakers.  If you use the Apple HDMI media adapter, it has a 1/8 stereo audio out that you could connect to the Jensen Radio head unit.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    I've had good luck using the Apple HDMI adapter for streaming or recorded video and bluetooth to the Jensen for audio.  The Apple adapter has an input for a lightning port, so you can charge while you play.  Sometimes on Netflix it won't play audio via bluetooth initially, but if I switch to another audio app, like Pandora, and select Bluetooth, then switch back to Netflix, it will play the audio through the Jensen.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA