12v outside outlet?

Has anyone installed a marine grade 12v outlet like this one on their T@B’s propane tub? https://www.furrion.com/store/attachment/download/1837f7b6c557dcc63bb678d794bcfb95

We have an ARB and are trying to figure out how to power it when we don’t have electric at our campsite. I would fuse it and glob some silicone sealant on the terminals to seal them.

On a related note, has anyone had their TV dealer reroute a 12v outlet from a switched fuse to an unswitched fuse? All the outlets in our Highlander are controlled by the ignition switch.
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Photomom said:
    Has anyone installed a marine grade 12v outlet like this one on their T@B’s propane tub? https://www.furrion.com/store/attachment/download/1837f7b6c557dcc63bb678d794bcfb95

We have an ARB and are trying to figure out how to power it when we don’t have electric at our campsite. I would fuse it and glob some silicone sealant on the terminals to seal them.

On a related note, has anyone had their TV dealer reroute a 12v outlet from a switched fuse to an unswitched fuse? All the outlets in our Highlander are controlled by the ignition switch.
    On the Grand Cherokee, the outlet in the cargo area can be switched to not require ignition to power the outlet by moving the fuse over one slot. I wonder if you have an option like that?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Photomom, I have wired a Zamp (SAE) plug onto the end of my ARB extension cord and I plug it into a second Zamp plug on my front tub. It works well. I run the extension cord out my side door window, lay it on my roof rack and take it to my front tub. 

I also have a Battery Tender SAE plug wired to my batteries. When I’m camping I have a Battery Tender fused 12V outlet that I can plug into the Battery Tender SAE so I can use a 12V vacuum or a 12V air compressor for tires or blowing out my water lines for winterizing. I could change the ARB extension cord to be a 12V plug and I could use the Battery Tender 12V outlet for the ARB if I chose. 

The service manager at the Toyota dealer threatened to void my entire warranty on my Toyota Tacoma if I dared wire in an unswitched 12V outlet. I know I can get an unswitched 12V wire under the driver’s seat, but I’ve never done that. My above ARB extension cord works well for me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited May 2018
    Photomom said:
     I would fuse it and glob some silicone sealant on the terminals to seal them.

Silicone sealant (RTV) that smells like vinegar (acetic acid) will corrode metal and is not recommended for electrical connections.  There is alcohol based RTV available that is specifically for electrical work.  Choose carefully!
    Have fun!

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited May 2018
    Verna said:
    @Photomom, I have wired a Zamp (SAE) plug onto the end of my ARB extension cord and I plug it into a second Zamp plug on my front tub. It works well. I run the extension cord out my side door window, lay it on my roof rack and take it to my front tub. 

I also have a Battery Tender SAE plug wired to my batteries. When I’m camping I have a Battery Tender fused 12V outlet that I can plug into the Battery Tender SAE so I can use a 12V vacuum or a 12V air compressor for tires or blowing out my water lines for winterizing. I could change the ARB extension cord to be a 12V plug and I could use the Battery Tender 12V outlet for the ARB if I chose. 

The service manager at the Toyota dealer threatened to void my entire warranty on my Toyota Tacoma if I dared wire in an unswitched 12V outlet. I know I can get an unswitched 12V wire under the driver’s seat, but I’ve never done that. My above ARB extension cord works well for me. 
    Where did you get the extension cord?

If you’re driving and take a couple hour break for lunch does the ARB stay cold?

I found this thing and am wondering if it would be helpful. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/HM47675.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjwre_XBRDVARIsAPf7zZj76jYoFNhr6GOXug0xAVDt4xtmRX2XAAT9r9irxGw9hgrJNbadXcEaAlAMEALw_wcB It turns your 7 way into a 12 volt outlet.
    @Photomom, I got the ARB extension cord from the vendor I bought the ARB from. It’s about 15’ long.  Not cheap, but it is a heavy duty cord. 

I have left the ARB unpowered for 4+ hrs and it only gained 2* in summer temps. I do cover it with three flannel quilts, plus I do have the ARB fitted cover on it. 

I have not not tried the 12V plug on the 7-pin connector. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Cool device.  The 7 way - 12 volt adapter should be hot when the ignition is off, so no worries about cooling the ARB when you stop for a while.  Better than placing an isolation relay in the Highlander which would keep your 12 volt outlets live.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    The problem is it’s outside so you have to leave the back window cracked and run the cord out. 

I will I’ll think about Verna’s idea but I’m pretty sure my Zamp port, if I have one, is blocked by the bin mounted on my platform. 

Why can’t things be easy, at least once in a while?
    @Photomom, yes it is. I leave it disconnected when not in use. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna, where would I get a SAE plug that I can graft onto the end of an extension cord so I can plug it into the Zamp connector?
    @Photomom, Walmart in the trolling motor parts area, or any sports store that handles trolling motors. Amazon also has the, but be sure to use one with a 10 gauge wire. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN