Zamp vs Renogy

We're about to take the plunge for solar. Which manufacturer is preferred/recommended, Zamp or Renogy.

What size is best, we have a 2017 320? 160 watt seems to be the popular choice but........We still have the manufacturer's standard 12v battery.

The T@B has a Zamp plug in but in reading, there is an adapter for the Renogy. Does the Renogy come with that adapter?

What about an inverter? Is an inverter that useful? Most everything runs off of DC anyway, except the AC.

Thanks

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    AC runs off 120 or generator.  An inverter to run the AC would consume your battery.

Renogy is cheaper. A lot of people use a 100 watt suitcase and are happy with the results.  You can buy a $10 adapter from Amazon ( or Renogy may now sell them) OR just reverse the solar wires at the battery.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Either will work.  The Zamp port is a nice, but any panel/solar controller can be adapted to work with it.  Or you can ignore it and use just basic alligator clips from the controller and go directly to the battery.

I have a Renogy and a Suaoki panel, and I can use the Zamp port with simple wiring mods, the adapter, or the alligator clips.  Renogy does not provide the adapter. 

If you have been out in the Tab, you should have an idea how much power you are using, and what extra appliances you might want to use.  I carry a small 300 watt inverter that plugs into the12v ports in the Tab for simple battery charging or a little bit of laptop use or a small fan, etc.   300 watts is adequate for those sorts of very small things.  I carry a 900 watt inverter that attaches directly to the battery (not the 12V plugs!) for items with larger wattage.  (I've only used it once or twice in a couple of years). 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited May 2018
    We don’t use an inverter, and don’t have much use for one. So much runs off of DC / USB. 

Sizing your solar panel depends on your usage. But, keep in mind, conditions are not always ideal. Higher wattage panels will help you meet your needs on cloudy days, or days where you have only limited sunshine, due to shaddows or weather. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my Zamp 200 watt suitcase. I spend 4+ months in Southern Arizona every winter without electricity, relying solely on the Zamp to recharge my batteries.

Last winter, I experienced 2 very rainy days coupled with two very overcast days, and the Zamp kept the dual 6V golf cart batteries above 12.2V for all 4 days. Others had to resort to using generators to top off their batteries, but I was fine. Yes, they are more expensive, but I have no doubt they will outlast their 25 year warranty (and we will not discuss how old I will be when the warranty runs out ;) ).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    I have the Renogy 100 watt eclipse suitcase. Very happy with it and the controller that fits inside. The solar technology is changing so much and prices are coming down that I would not invest a lot because it might be obsolete in 2 years.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited May 2018
    For me, price won out in the end and I went with a Renogy 100W suitcase. After digesting a plethora of opinions on this forum, I came to the conclusion that there were so many variables I would need to figure out battery management for myself. And, since I didn't know squat going in, I was hesitant to drop serious coin on what for my purposes might prove to be a white elephant.

As others have noted, the Renogy does not arrive plug-and-play ready. You will either have to clamp it directly to the battery, or use adapters to mate it with the Zamp port on your T@B (if equipped). Adapters weren't included when bought my suitcase, but with a few cuts and splices I modified it in short order.

I'm still learning. Last year I removed the controller from the suitcase and made it a modular unit that can be set up permanently in camp or still be used in a stand-alone manner. I won't rule out a lager panel--or the Zamp brand-- for future purchases.
    2015 T@B S
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I didn't expect to, but I ended up with a Renogy 100W suitcase (without built-in controller). It's about all this old lady can safely lift. It's an amazing product and with an MPPT controller, I can get voltage output on cloudy days! I've heard the same positive reviews about Zamp. Both very good products and both have fabulous customer service. Zamp has a waterproof controller and it took some time before Renogy came up with one as well in their suitcase panels. 

I like the portability. Keep in mind that 25 ft still falls short to find the sun! (I live on the East coast). 

So, armed with the fact that both brands are fabbo, pick your poison (not sure if Goal Zero has a suitcase, but they are high end quality too).

Experiment in your driveway. Keep the battery isolation switch off. Check battery. Flip it on and see if it can keep up with phantom power (it doesn't in my 20 ft trailer). Driveway camp with solar out. Use everything 12V for two nights and days. Take away solar. Do the same thing. Note the difference. It's all how you personally camp. Camp with careful use of lights and nixing the TV/moves and unplug TV (using a laptop/netbook with movies on thumb drives or downloaded) and using solar Luci lights. 

If handy, add an on/off switch to the Jensen (have to set the clock each time you turn it on). 

See how things can be different for different people? Figure out how you camp comfortably and work from there.

Sorry this got long. There are a bazillion posts out there saying the same thing, but they are hard to wade through.

Happy Camping!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Had my Zamp suitcase panels lying flat in my TV with a BAL leveler standing upright next to it (guess where this story is going).  Forgot about it and decided to take a drive.  BANG! comes a noise from the rear of my vehicle.  I realized what had happened and thought "There goes at least one very expensive solar panel."  To my shock and surprise, the BAL did zero damage to the Zamp.  Perhaps the Renogy panels are equally robust, but after that episode, I'm a Zamp Fan.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • scaupscaup Member Posts: 81
    Thanks for all the information. There does seem to be a substantial difference in price between the Zamp and the Renogy. The best price I've found for Zamp 120 is Amazon at $538 and for Renogy on the Renogy website is $389.

The Renogy website does say that "The Charge Controller is Not Waterproof." Is it difficult to keep the charge controller out of the rain or as simple as putting a plastic sack over it?

Are extension cables specific to the manufacturer or are the generic?

I hear what is said above but is Zamp that much better to charge the extra $s or are they just trying to sell their name?

Is Renogy sold by local reps or just on their website?

Thanks
    We ordered our Renogy suitcases without the controller knowing the included, attached controller was not waterproof and exposed to the weather. Also, it is best to have the controller close to your battery to limit voltage loss.   We put our separate controller in a lunchbox inside the tub initially, but now we attach it to the inside of the tub lid using Dual Lock. We remove it for transport.  It should stay nice and dry that way.  

The cables are not manufacturer specific, just be aware of the connectors that are used leading from your chosen panel.  I think MC4 connectors are pretty standard now.  If you want 30 feet of cable to keep your panels in the sun, use a minimum of 10 gauge to limit voltage loss.  Some people have used landscape wire with success.  We used the 10 gauge cable from Renogy, but be aware that it is very stiff.  When we moved our controller to the tub lid, John replaced the pigtail wires with flexible marine grade wire (purchased a wire remnant from Amazon) and now the controller is easier to store.  

I have no reason to believe that Zamp is any better than Renogy.  With the OEM solar port on the tub configured for Zamp use, the Zamp brand is plug and play, but your included controller is attached to your suitcase panels. You can easily change the wires at the battery and make a Renogy plug and play.  FYI:  The 2018 Tabs no longer have the solar port.  We purchased our Renogy suitcases online.  They often have sales and maybe open box items.
    You can also separately purchase a panel, controller and proper wiring and make it work with or without the Zamp plug.

Amazon sells all sorts or panels, including the Zamp and Renogy brands. Panels seem to have become commodities, with warranties and support being the main selling points.

I've switched from a 30 pound 100 watt panel to a 4 pound flexible panel.  The controller is always tucked into the propane tub. 
    2017 Outback
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I use a Victron solar connector with HQST  flexible solar panels. Flexible panels, in general have shown to be slightly less productive than hard panels, but the trade off is worth it to me, because they are so much lighter and easier to store.

Most solar controllers reverse the polarity at the solar controller for protection. From what I understand, the Zamp controllers do not, thus, their ports reverse the polarity. I simply switched the polarity of the Zamp port on the battery end. Victron did not have when I installed, but do now offer controllers with MC4 connections. That would be really nice.

Renogy has what appears to be a very nice 120 watt flexible panel that was recently released. I have been considering adding one or two as a permanent install on the T@b for those times when I am either on full sun or just overnighting sonewhere. They are rather big panels, so it would be a real committment.

Goal Zero does also make a good suitcase panel. They have excellent quality and good customer service.

The other 2 brands that I would consider are Gopower and Grape. Gopower has a good reputation but run a little higher cost than Renogy. Grape gets solid reviews and you can usually pick up a 100watt hard panel from Home Depot for under $100, which is tough to beat.

I will be using 2, 50 watt flexible panels in parallel with an MPPT controller accessory for a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 lithium to power my ARB fridge. My plan is to mount the 2, 50 watt panels on my roof rack on my TV and to run the ARB off of the Goal Zero Yeti battery. This will allow me to keep the fridge running on my long days away from camp, when the vehicle is not running. 1 is a Renogy and 1 is an HQST, but they are identical in specs.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    Renogy also sells via their Ebay store. We got an open box eclipse suitcase there for less than their web page was selling the same item. They offer a 10% off coupon via their web page, the first time you visit it, if you signup for their emails. If you missed it the first time just clear the history on your web browser and go to their web page again. 
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    I went with Renogy 100w suitcase.  Bought the "open box" deal and received a new unit.
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I need to add.... I have my Renogy suitcase permanently set up in the flower bed (no shadows and locked) and put the waterproof Victron MPPT controller with bluetooth dongle inside a lunchbox near the battery of my camper. The bluetooth dongle isn't waterproof.

So right now I only use the 100W suitcase to maintain my battery when the camper is parked at home. I love the bluetooth dongle and the ability to monitor the battery at all times via the Victron program. I have to be fairly close to the lunchbox though. Bluetooth doesn't like to go through layers of aluminum.

The suitcase from Renogy may not have the waterproof dongle, but they do sell a water proof one.

For my toy hauler camper and *where* I have my panels, the 100W is not enough to keep my battery charged with the phantom power (I have an off switch for the Jensen I installed). Seelevel panel, converter, CO/propane, remote control MaxxAir fan and usb ports seem to be the culprits in that camper. I don't have a 12V television system. With the 30A breaker switch flipped, it takes care of the battery perfectly. I anticipate that battery to last a long, long time.

I would like a minimum of 300W flexible panel system later, but for right now, I camp in places with a lot of shade. In the meantime, I have a controller set up that is totally ready for it!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Price is a big factor - I was hesitant to opt for the Zamp system because it was considerably more expensive than the Renogy.  However, the Zamp system is completely plug and play, and if you do not want to mess with customizing/wiring/worrying about this or that, the Zamp system is worth the money.  I ended up with the Zamp 160W that I purchased from Amazon.  When you factor in the water proof controller and the quality of the components it was definitely worth it *for me* to pay the extra money.  Heck, the carry 'case' itself is high quality, protective unit that is light weight.  I was very impressed with the system when it arrived.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    I mounted my not waterproof charge controller inside the tub on my Outback. It has been there for over two years through all kinds of weather both traveling and set up in camp and still working fine. I highly recommend you mount the controller as near the battery as possible, much more efficient that way. Your battery storage should equal or exceed the output of your panels to be efficient.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    I'm also a Zamp fan (have 160w and just a 29group battery) - Zamp's customer service is the best. One of the "legs" on the Zamp was a bit wobbly. Email to Zamp saying I was passing through Bend and could they help me. "Absolutely - just bring it by." No appointment, so digging out paperwork - just dropped it off, they said to return in an hour. Not only did they put new legs on it, they also rewired it (they had just come out with more robust wiring)...handed it over and I was on my way. I LOVE good customer service!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    @JustJohn
    How did you attach the charge controller and backing plate (is that a cutting board?) to the T@B? POP Rivets?
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    I think the price difference comes from where the panels are manufactured. Zamp panels are made in the US, Renogy in Asia. I got Zamp panels and am totally happy with them.
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    rajamar said:
    @JustJohn
    How did you attach the charge controller and backing plate (is that a cutting board?) to the T@B? POP Rivets?
    The mounting plate is a cutting board trimmed on two sides to fit. There are so many sizes you can find one to fit without trimming but I used one left over from a boat project. I drilled three holes in the mounting plate and the back of the aluminum tub and attached it with small bolts and lock washers. The charge controller is also bolted to the plate. Really pretty easy mount, cutting board and aluminum drill easily.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    One important point I think everyone should be aware of when comparing ZAMP to Renogy, is that Zamp does not utilize MPPT (Max Power point tracking) technology in any of their charge controllers for some reason.

I haven't seen much discussion about this point when comparing the two brands, but an MPPT charge controller greatly outperforms PWM technology in terms of efficiency and will simply charge your battery faster by putting out more power. 

Zamp seems to make great quality products (as stated by many people on here), but they are a lot more expensive when compared to Renogy. I would be curious to know what the maximum charging amps people are getting using a Zamp charge controller. 

If anyone wants to get into numbers, my renogy premium kit (MPPT) has output over 6amps in optimal sun conditions from a single 100W eclipse panel.
    2017 T@B Max S
    @danp212, for systems under 600 watts, it is generally accepted that mppt is not beneficial.  We have a Renogy PWM controller and get over 6 amps with a 100 watt suitcase.  You do not have to have an mppt to effectively charge using a small system.
    At 100 watts a MPPT controller would add an almost incalculable power advantage.  The size and output of portable solar units just do not justify the use of more expensive MPPT technology.
  • danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2018
    Excellent information thank you @SAM and @ColoradoJon for sharing! What about adding a second panel in series at 24V, would an MPPT controller take any more or less advantage of the higher voltage? Or is it still negligible at a lower total wattage. 
    2017 T@B Max S
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    At 100 watts a MPPT controller would add an almost incalculable power advantage.  The size and output of portable solar units just do not justify the use of more expensive MPPT technology.

Interesting.  I've read plenty of people bragging about their MPPT controllers on their RV / expedition rigs, but have not actually done much reading about the differences. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    The more watts of solar you have the more benefit you get from the MPPT controller.   Watts from the panel to the controller is the requirement, not voltage.  There are other benefits to the MPPT controllers, though, so read up on them!  Typically, though, for smaller wattage systems the benefit does not outweigh the cost.  On the other hand - the cost of these controllers are getting better all the time and it's almost a case of 'might as well'.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I chose an MPPT controller because if the increased efficiency. I can run 2 panels in series at 24v, decreasing voltage loss and increasing efficiency. Tge MPPT controller I use converts the 24v to 12v for the battery charge (or actually, to the charging voltage recommended by the battery manufacturer.) Greater efficiency leads to a quicker charge time, which is optimal when you have to be out of your site before lunch or on partly cloudy days.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

I bought an MPPT because:  it was on sale and I liked the form factor.  I have 3 different controllers, and on my tiny system I doubt it makes enough difference to worry about. 
    2017 Outback