Options

Zamp vs Renogy

2»

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    No doubt - MPPT is great technology!  The question is the diminishing returns in efficiency on smaller systems.  Only you can determine whether the additional cost (if any) is worth it.  If you can get one at a good price like @pthomas745 or even just because you want to, go for it!
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @ColoradoJon, I went for it (MPPT) for many reasons, but the main one being that I plan to get "More PowaH!" a bit later and I love the bluetooth option of the particular MPPT model I bought. No running wires to the inside of the camper. It's a fun thing to experiment and play around with, but 100W of panels cannot compete with my phantom power drain in the toy hauler. I can't wait until I'm ready for the big time and going with 400W or more of solar! For now, I'm just doing the group 27 battery, 100W of panels locked to my porch railing and placed in my flower bed (no flowers) and the battery shut off switch in the shut off mode. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    As a side note, on a total overcast and drizzling Sunday my Renogy 100w suitcase was generating just under 15v at 1.5a.  Sufficient to maintain and slightly charge my battery.
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI