Pleated Front Screen Heat Damage from Sun?

CincyKidCincyKid Member Posts: 83
Hi, my last December brand new T@B 320S Boondock is exhibiting some strange behavior to the front pleated bug screen (see photo). Looks like heat is 'melting' the chemical used to create the seams causing the pleats to pull apart and take this appearance. Anyone else had this issue or had it repaired by T@B? So far it is still keeping bugs out but is becoming more difficult to fold up without the damaged section not folding properly.

CincyKid
Cincinnati, OH

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    That's a new one on me. Any chance it's heat from the stove rather than the sun? I would think the glass shield would prevent that, though...
    2015 T@B S
  • CincyKidCincyKid Member Posts: 83
    I suppose that is possible, do the instructions ever say do not use these bug screen with your stove?

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I never saw that anywhere, but I can't say I gave the instructions much attention.
    2015 T@B S
    I stopped by NuCamp's factory in Sugarcreek and Austin, the repair manager, replaced the screen free of charge since it was in warranty.  However, in the future I am going to lower the screen whenever using the inside stove just in case heat from the stove was causing any chemical that holds the pleats in place was melting. 

Austin was kind enough to do about one hour of warranty work even though I was not "in line" to have warranty work done.  I did call him a week in advance to say I would be stopping by and he and I agreed to a time to stop in since the effort was a simple one.  I also took advantage of the hour to get a factory tour from John who was nice enough to give up his lunch for that.  I will post photos of in-process T@Bs that show wiring routing and what's where inside the walls.

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    CincyKid said:
    . . . will post photos of in-process T@Bs that show wiring routing and what's where inside the walls.
    That will be great to see.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    edited August 2019
    Same problem. Melted kitchen screen. Doubt it’s from the sun.  More likely from cooking.  Is the dealership my I only option or can I buy a new screen and replace myself?

Edited to remove inappropriate language—Verna T@B Admin
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
    Morey, I recommend you contact the service people at NuCamp and tell them about this issue, they may be willing to send you the parts.  They have been very courteous and above board with me.  Number there is 330-852-4811 ext 309.

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @CincyKid @morey000 I gotta ask,   was the screen up or down while cooking and the damage occurred?    
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
    screen was down, they replaced for free, but from now on if I used the stove I plan to lift the new screen out of the way

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
  • DucheneDuchene Member Posts: 7
    My dinette window did the same thing.  It was replaced under warranty.  My thoughts on it are that it is a factory defect in the splicing of two rolls of screen.  

Cbusguy said:
    @CincyKid @morey000 I gotta ask,   was the screen up or down while cooking and the damage occurred?    
    for me- it was up (i.e. in the way).  I didn't notice the damage until later so I'm not sure exactly when it happened.  The front window was open a crack and I put the ceiling fan ON to act has a vent and suck cool air in.  I've tested it afterwards while cooking with my hand in the area of the melt, and I felt almost no warmth next to the screen.  Must have been a unique funneling of the heat.  Interestingly- the melted areas of the pleats are the edges that are on window side, rather than those pointing towards the stove.  ???
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    hmmm,  that is worry some.   so it is possible melted by the sun.  nothing conclusive.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
    edited August 2019
    I can say that since having mine replaced a year ago there has not been another incident from external sources, and I haven't cooked with that screen down.  When I had the original problem I was using my burner to boil water in a tall stainless steel coffee maker and wondered if steam exiting the top may have directed the hot moisture at the screen.  

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
    edited August 2019
    CincyKid said:
    I can say that since having mine replaced a year ago there has not been another incident fro external sources, and I haven't cooked with that screen down.  When I had the original problem I was using my burner to boil water in a tall stainless steel coffee maker and wondered if steam exiting the top may have directed the hot moisture at the screen.  
    that's an excellent theory!  hmmm- my coffee pot isn't especially tall (the blue one shown in the photo above), and I don't recall heating it up to a rolling boil.  As soon as I 'hear' the sound of the water starting to boil, I take it off the burner as I find making coffee with water a little below boiling temp is better.  But-perhaps it directed some hot steam somehow.  
    I noted the possible steam issue since the worst part of the screen damage did not seem to be centered over the burners.

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH