Options

T@B 320 - Suspected Door Leak

Hello all.  Drove through a fierce two hour long rain and hail storm in New Mexico last night while pulling my one month old 2018 T@B 320. Hard/hard rain. When I got to my campsite that same evening I noticed that the floor of my T@B trailer was wet. Difficult to say exactly how water got inside, but the area nearest to the door was wet, so suspect a leak either underneath, or around the door.  Checked my windows. All were locked tight and dry. Aft and stern cabinets and storage areas were also dry.

Anyone have a similar experience? More importantly, a way to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Kerouac

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    If you haven't seen it yet, read the "Important Maintenance Reminders" announcement posted at the top of this forum.  It describes some of these preventive measures, but you may have to dig into other discussions referenced for more details.  You may also want to contact the warranty dept.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    This should not happen on a new T@b. Go to your dealer for a remedy and if they are not helpful, reach out directly to NuCamp warranty. They will make this right for you.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Vent under the fridge?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    We have always had that problem with our T@B.   We travel with a towel rolled up against the bottom of the door.  The DM T@Bs used a lighter door so I would expect a new model to not have the problem.  You would be surprised how much the body flexes while traveling down the road.  There are some videos taken from the interior and also from the TV that are sort of shocking.
    Hopefully it is an easy repair for yours!
    Have fun!!
    Bob

• Options
    Vent under the fridge?
    I have had to drive through some serious rain and never had water come through the fridge vent.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Check the cabinet under your fridge just in case driving rain came in through the side vents. If it’s dry, call NuCamp and ask them. Good luck!

@pthomas745 starting late 2016/2017 they reversed the fridge and the fins vent out the side to the right of the door. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Actually, please contact your dealer first, please. Give them a chance to work with nüCamp. If the dealer is unable to repair to your satisfaction, then please contact nüCamp. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Check the cabinet under your fridge just in case driving rain came in through the side vents. If it’s dry, call NuCamp and ask them. Good luck!

@pthomas745 starting late 2016/2017 they reversed the fridge and the fins vent out the side to the right of the door. 
    FYI, the vent was always on the side. The high altitude kit was on the front.

• Options
    KerouacKerouac Member Posts: 9
    Wow!  Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful responses. Agree this should not happen in a new T@B.  

Update: Did an inspection of the trailer from the outside after getting home from my trip today.  Got up on a step ladder and noticed the fantastic fan vent (hood/dome) was cocked open slightly on one corner.  Don't know if it was like that when I was driving through the rain last night or not. This could have been the water entry point.  

Camped last night and set up after driving in the downpour.  Can't remember if I used the vent last night camping after driving through the downpour or not.  

Bottom line: I may have had the fantastic fan vent/hood cocked open while I was driving through the rain.  Water could have gotten into the trailer that way.    Hope that is the answer.

The door looks well sealed. I can't see how water might have gotten in . Rather than go through a rat killing exercise to fix something that may not be a problem, I will wait and continue to monitor observe the situation on rainy days and see if the problem persists.

Thanks again to everyone that responded.

Kerouac
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Kerouac, do a search here for Aero Flo, which is a cover for the Fantastic Fan vent so you can use it in a rain storm and stay dry. There are a couple of more brands that are preferred by others and they will be mentioned also. I can’t imagine not having the vent cover so I can always get some fresh air. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Kerouac, drove mine home from pick-up at the dealer. Hellacious storm. Got home and the interior of the t@b was soaked. Upholstery,  cabinets, walls etc. Turns out we were not level from nose to tail. Coupler was about an inch higher than the tail. This tilted the a/c drain pan toward the rear and the drain line is forward toward the bathroom wall. Make sure you are level or even slightly down at the coupler.  Got a deeper drop on the hitch and it hasn't happened again, even through 60 mph winds and horizontal rain impacting the a/c side. Good luck, and here's hoping you've already solved the quandry.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Update. Looks like I do have a leaky door. Went camping this weekend (Jefferson Lake, Colorado).  Washed the trailer at the nearby coin op car wash when I got home. Just to check, sprayed water on and around door.  Got home and sure enough, water inside my T@B just inside the door.  Looked all around door.  Could not see anything obvious except at the lower right hand corner of door, appears there is a gap in the door seal.  Not sure if that is the entry point or not.  Will start to begin the leak locating exercise tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  Will call nuCamp tomorrow.  Assume this should be covered by warranty?  My dealer is 134 miles from my house. Gulp...
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Wait until dark and shine a flashlight from the inside to locate the leak from the outside.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Spoke with nuCamp and local T@B dealers. Dealers are busy and warranty work was not available until mid to late July. Not convenient, since we are traveling for most of the summer.   Two suggestions made sense and were implemented:

1) Adjust door's "strike" plate to allow for tighter door seal - done.
    2) Add weather stripping to existing factory installed door seal - done - added additional weather stripping in "gap" between existing door seal and door.

Will update on results when we pull our unit through the next rain storm.
  • Options
    Kerouac said:
    Spoke with nuCamp and local T@B dealers. Dealers are busy and warranty work was not available until mid to late July. Not convenient, since we are traveling for most of the summer.   Two suggestions made sense and were implemented:

2) Add weather stripping to existing factory installed door seal - done - added additional weather stripping in "gap" between existing door seal and door.

I hope that takes care of your issues!

• Options
    MaryPuckerMaryPucker Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 2021 Tab 320S.

How did you adjust the strike plate?

Where did you add additional weather stripping?
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 289
    Kerouac said:

I just discovered that I am having this issue as well after some serious rain and wind where I am at. It has made the bottom board of the cabinet swell up and looks like some mold has started to develop. What weather stripping did you add?
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Kerouac was last on the forum in November.  Hopefully they will reply.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio