Options

TaB 400 Battery breaker tripping

The 40a circuit breaker installed by the battery shutoff switch keeps tripping while plugged in to shore power.  We haven’t had any issues until now. I unplugged the trailer and noticed the battery was at 48% abs it’s been plugged into shore power for a week. Any ideas?  Hoping for quick solution otherwise our Memorial Day camping may not happen. 
2018 T@B 400
2014 Toyota 4Runner
youtube.com/c/travelswithdelaney

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    Are you using a surge protector?   If not, that could explain the tripping.  I am not familiar with the 400.  Do you mean the circuit breaker for an outlet?  Our battery cut off does not have a circuit breaker.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Travels_with_delaneyTravels_with_delaney Member Posts: 15
    There is a Gloso 40a breaker installed between the battery and the battery shut off.  It keeps tripping.  I will reset it and it seems fine for awhile but when I go back out to check it, it has tripped again.  It must have been ok for awhile last night because the battery is now up to over 80% this morning but it was tripped again.  I'm going to call NuCamp today to see if they have had this issue before.  I guess the breaker itself could be bad.
    2018 T@B 400
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    It must have something to do with that huge battery.  Our battery is simply fused.
  • Options
    1. I spoke to a tech at NuCamp just awhile ago and he said the breaker is in lieu of the a fuse because of the size of the battery.  They aren't sure why it is tripping and think possibly something is lose.  I just checked connections at the batter and in converter box and it seemed tight.  I was able to slightly tighten one of the converter screws so we shall see.  Otherwise they suggested I get it into a dealership.  Unfortunately that is easier said than done as the nearest dealership is 2-3 hours away.  I'm going to monitor it this weekend and see what it does.  
    2018 T@B 400
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Could be a power surge when hooking up.  I had mine trip one time when I hooked my battery tender up, after returning home, and had not yet turned the battery cutoff yet.  Re set the circuit breaker and it has been fine since.  Our 400 did not come with the 40amp circuit breaker but I got it from Elsie and installed it myself.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    @Travels_with_delaney, are you using a surge protector?
  • Options
    I am using a surge protector. I NuCamp thinks something might be lose so I tightened the connections in electric box and on the battery. We will see how it does tonight. 
    2018 T@B 400
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    fargenablefargenable Member Posts: 1
    Was curious @Travels_with_delaney did this resolve the issue with the thermal breaker tripping between the battery and the cutoff switch?
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Patrick has sold his TaB400 and moved on.  I believe his issue with the battery and circuit breaker was down to a bad battery, which he ended up replacing.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    IF you have any lose connection that connection point will be hot! If you can feel around just as it happens being careful not to burn any fingers you might find out what circuit is drawing so much current. Caution we are talking about 12 volts not 120 AC! Don't touch 120 volt areas!
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge