Options

Norcold Fridge Hose Loose

We’ve had problems with our Norcold on propane for some time now...both getting it to light and staying lit (elevation independent).  This has turned into a 45 minute ordeal where I usually give up and keep trying as I can.  Eventually, hours later, it seems to stabilize.  After a recent trip I pulled the stove out to see how much hassle it’d be to pull the whole fridge out and check the igniter/thermocouple, and discovered one of the hoses was disconnected and dangling inside the cabinet; it’d never been installed correctly, only being held in place by duct tape that had pulled loose (see pix).  Unfortunately, I wasn’t up to pulling the fridge out to install a longer (metal) hose so it’d reach into the port hole, so I did the best I could and re-duct taped it (about 10 layers).  I suspect someday it’ll just have to come out.  

Pulling the stove top off is easy, but beware, don’t strip or break the plastic mounting screws on the Dometic...they want $75 ($50 parts, $25 shipping) to replace them!  Part #4071439865.

To those of you having problems with your fridge...you might want to take a look under the hood!

As I found it...top hose is completely disconnected: 

The cam washer holds the bottom metal hose in place: 

The best I could do...held in place with 10 more layers of silver duct tape:

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I’m curious @DurangoTaB, did your T@B have to have the hoses moved off of the fridge fins?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    @jgram2...yes, kind of.  I had to move them slightly with a hose clamp (and it wasn’t these two hoses...these guys are REALLY stiff.  

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @DurangoTaB Ok then. Thanks. Does that failure mean propane was getting INTO the T@B?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    My theory is, because we’ve had problems with both the Alde and the Norcold, is they’re either not getting enough flow...or pressure...of propane.  Stovetop works fine.  I’ve tweeted the regulator (clockwise half turn), fixed those hoses, and will be careful as others have advised to slow open the valve on the propane tank.   Whew...3 years and 32 trips later and we’re still working the bugs out! 

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    A CG host cautioned me to open slowly, especially when going from lower to higher altitudes because the pressure can loosen or break a hose and also to wait to fill the tank until I reach altitude. I don't know enough about the science behind their claim to know whether it was true or not.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    @DurangoTaB, does your fridge work on propane now?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    7,000ft elevation test (our drive in Durango).  I pulled the T@B out, leveled it, SLooooWLY opened the OPD propane valve, lit the stove top burners to prime the lines, and turned on the Norcold (on gas)...and voila, she started up immediately and without the incessant clickity clicketly click of the past. YAY!  The Alde started up quickly and quietly as well.  Yay!  Camping at higher elevations in a couple weeks (although the State just announced Stage 2 fire restrictions), but I’m cautiously optimistic that the slightly increased flow/pressure from the main regulator has finally solved 2 problems.  

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    7,000ft elevation test (our drive in Durango).  I pulled the T@B out, leveled it, SLooooWLY opened the OPD propane valve, lit the stove top burners to prime the lines, and turned on the Norcold (on gas)...and voila, she started up immediately and without the incessant clickity clicketly click of the past. YAY!  The Alde started up quickly and quietly as well.  Yay!  Camping at higher elevations in a couple weeks (although the State just announced Stage 2 fire restrictions), but I’m cautiously optimistic that the slightly increased flow/pressure from the main regulator has finally solved 2 problems.  
    Yeah!!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Our fridge no longer works on propane so I was excited to read your report and hopeful that our problem was similar. I pulled the stove today and checked those hoses, but they are securely attached. And I also removed the vent covers on the front of the trailer to check if anything was blocking them, but they are clean as a whistle.

Rats.
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Our fridge no longer works on propane so I was excited to read your report and hopeful that our problem was similar. I pulled the stove today and checked those hoses, but they are securely attached. And I also removed the vent covers on the front of the trailer to check if anything was blocking them, but they are clean as a whistle.

Rats.
    Bummer, I was wo dering of you had resolved your issue, yet. How does your igniter look?

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Photomom said:

Rats.
    Bummer, I was wo dering of you had resolved your issue, yet. How does your igniter look?
    I don't see any damage externally. I THINK I can remove a screw and pull it out of the burner box and will try that tomorrow, nothing to lose, right? I also sent an email to NuCamp repairs to see if they will look at it when we are at uCamp.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Photomom, have you considered using some compressed air to see if any spider webs or crud could be blocking the hoses. I think some people accessed the vents from the outside, but I could be wrong.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
    This thread helped me. Not with the loose hose but the fridge not starting. I had the gas on all the way and it tried to light a couple time but all I got was a whoosh. After reading this, I figured it was a problem with too much propane getting to the fridge and it was blowing itself out. I turned the gas off and lit the stove to lower the pressure in the lines. I turned the gas back on but not all the way. It lit almost immediately.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole