Sink, stove and TV protection T@b 400

Small mods to help protect the glass tops and TV.  Made padded reversable covers.

Happy Trails,
Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

Comments

• CherylinDallasCherylinDallas Member Posts: 21
    driftless,

Great idea to make padded covers for the sink and stove.  I flinch every time I place something on top of the sink and stove glass, so I am going to copy your idea.  I am a quilter and have plenty of padding for my future covers. 

I love mods that don't require power tools.  Or electric wiring.  Or plumbing.  Thanks for the idea.

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited June 2018
    X2+thread, and sewing machines! Glue, bungees, command strips and Velcro! Some of us have a veeerrry limited repertoire! 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    edited June 2018
    @CherylinDallas, and are you sewing with a treadle machine, or just a needle and thread? C'mon women, we all use quite an arsenal of power tools. Sewing machines, vacuum cleaners, garbage disposals, dishwashers, washing machines, computers, etc. all come with electric cords attached and necessary for operation. Even a roomba plugs in. Even daily tasks require strength, ingenuity,  and engineering skills. You are all power tool officianatos and problem solvers extrodinaire! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    A scroll saw might help me make an absolutely gorgeous scrollsawn stove and sink cover that is properly treated for moisture. I don’t “do” sewing machines, although my scrollsaws do sound like a sewing machine. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Verna said:
    A scroll saw might help me make an absolutely gorgeous scrollsawn stove and sink cover that is properly treated for moisture. I don’t “do” sewing machines, although my scrollsaws do sound like a sewing machine. 
    I can't wait to see what you make when you get to your tools!!! Everyone new, V is an awesome and very talented wood scrolling artist and craftsman (woman).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Even simpler is using one of those microfiber pads for draining dishes. I just set it on the stove and it hasn’t flown off in travel yet! At the end of each trip it goes in the laundry bag with everything else.  The potholders were made by a gal at work who passed away this winter. She did beautiful work and I treasure them!!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    I cut a piece of yoga mat to protect our galley counter.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    SAM said:
    I cut a piece of yoga mat to protect our galley counter.
    Genius and would help with the TV, too. Could probably glue a nice strap to it for the TV.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• StevieStevie Member Posts: 36
    Yoga mat, doh! I wish I would have done this yesterday before chipping my counter when moving the microwave to the floor.
    Has anybody used an oven liner on the Tab stove top?  I want a solid piece to cover the area under the burners rather than those individual ones that you can get for a home stove top.  Seems like it would make it really easy to clean.
    edited June 2018
    @SAM, I have used a Silicone baking sheet for the stovetop.  It’s a flat, thin sheet of silicone, available at Bed, Bath & Beyond, and I’m sure Amazon has it, too. It has saved scratches and it stays in place during travel, although stuff on it won’t necessarily stay in place. 

I did realize this is not what you asked for, @SAM.  I have found a circular brush for dishwashing  is great for cleaning around the stove burners. It just works very easily, and no banging of knuckles on the burners. It’s similar to the one above, but without the soap reservoir. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    Thanks Verna.  Both good suggestions.  Amazon calls!
    @Verna am I understanding correctly that you put the silicone baking sheet around the burner? Did you trim holes for the burners? Thanks

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

@jkjenn, NO!  I put the silicon on the glass lid to keep it from being scratched. I hav3 NOT tried it around the burners. See the next paragraph for easy cleaning of the stov3 bottom. 

I use the scrubbing brush to clean the stove around the burners. For some reason the brush cleans better than any scrubby-rubbie-dubbie I have. Just put water with Dawn on the brush and scrub the metal bottom of the stove and it is clean....after you use a towel to clean the suds and stuff off the stove bottom. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    I found a grill mat that allows for trimming.  I plan to cut holes for the burners.  The silicone oven mats have fiberglass and they recommend against cutting.
    @SAM, I have not tried this.  You are on your own for experimenting. Yes, the silicone mats are good for hundreds of degrees, but please understand I have only used my mat for the top of the glass on the top of the stove. 

But, if you want to experiment, please tell us the results!  This does sound like a good thing, but the brush does make quick work of cleaning the bottom of the stove. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Grill mat—good!  Keep us informed, please.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    V, I ordered the brush, too.  I think the grill mat under the burners will be easy to clean.  We use a similar mat material on our home stove and it is so much easier cleaning up after my messy, quasi-chef husband.
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn, NO!  I put the silicon on the glass lid to keep it from being scratched. I hav3 NOT tried it around the burners. See the next paragraph for easy cleaning of the stov3 bottom. 

I use the scrubbing brush to clean the stove around the burners. For some reason the brush cleans better than any scrubby-rubbie-dubbie I have. Just put water with Dawn on the brush and scrub the metal bottom of the stove and it is clean....after you use a towel to clean the suds and stuff off the stove bottom. 
    Glad I clarified. 😁

SAM said:
    I found a grill mat that allows for trimming.  I plan to cut holes for the burners.  The silicone oven mats have fiberglass and they recommend against cutting.
    Looking forward to your report!

@SAM I think a grill may would also work great for my Coleman grill/stove! 

@jkjenn, I want John to try the grill mat on the grill, but he thinks that fat will pool and you end up frying your food.  Not sure how it works on the grill, but I think I ordered more than 1 mat, so I may try it on the grill.
    SAM said:
    @jkjenn, I want John to try the grill mat on the grill, but he thinks that fat will pool and you end up frying your food.  Not sure how it works on the grill, but I think I ordered more than 1 mat, so I may try it on the grill.
    I saw one Amazon review had cut holes in his for that reason. 

Ah ha!