Routing Wires (Solar) Under the Outside Corner Trim?

I intend to put a solar panel on the roof of our '16 320 S Max.  My original plan was to put a hole in the roof over the AC, install a "solar wire gland fitting" ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0111RNZDY), and route the wires down the wall between the TV and the shower.  And initially, perhaps route through the AC roof vent, rather than through the glands.

Reviewing previous posts, I see people using VHB tape to run wires over the top, and down along the corner trim.  The corner trim (side-to-top) looks like it has a cavity under it, and would make a fine conduit to run wires from the roof to the battery (assuming my charge controller is located there).  Has anyone done this, or for other reasons removed that corner trim?  If so, can you describe the process to remove and what I'll find under that trim?

Thx,
Jon

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,412
    @OpenSky, IIRC at least one owner did what you describe with the wires. I also know there are owners who have removed and replaced the corner trim for repair purposes. Try searching the forum and hopefully someone with first-hand experience will chime in here!
    2015 T@B S

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If you remove the trim, do not over-tighten when you reinstall. That seems to increase the likelihood of cracking 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 255
    @jkjenn
    Hi Jen.  I know this is an old post, but can you tell me how that trim is attached?  I have searched the forum a bit...but haven't found anything yet.  I have a 2021 T@B 320S which I am meticulous about!  I was just washing and waxing and found that one of the pieces seem a bit loose.  I don't want to bend it too much...but I can't seem to find the attachment point.  Any advice would be appreciated!
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @jkjenn
    Hi Jen.  I know this is an old post, but can you tell me how that trim is attached?  I have searched the forum a bit...but haven't found anything yet.  I have a 2021 T@B 320S which I am meticulous about!  I was just washing and waxing and found that one of the pieces seem a bit loose.  I don't want to bend it too much...but I can't seem to find the attachment point.  Any advice would be appreciated!
    I haven't looked at how tge trim is  attached on a 2021 or newer, yet, but prior to 2021, it was screwed inti the trailer. The trim was redesigned for the 2021 model year.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

@jkjenn Thank you for the quick reply!  I did find a post that described the previous design...as you mentioned.  The new design is tricky....no screws in the keder rail.  If you gently pull the trim away from the body, you can see screws underneath...but I can't imagine that is how they are removed.  Thanks again and I'll keep looking!
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    On our 2021 400 the trim is installed underneath the keder rail. If you loosen a few of the Anderson screws holding the keder rail on the trim should loosen a bit giving you a view as to how they’re attached. Essentially the trim is sandwiched between the body and rail (there’s an oblong screw hole molded into the trim where the screw goes through). As @jkjenn mentioned don’t over-tighten those screws as you’ll crush the trim.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    @manyman297 - Thank you!  I'll look again.  
  • WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    The trim pieces on the 2021 320S are held into a groove in the top of the keder rail with small metal clips and adhesive.  Some early versions, including ours, had a habit of a trim piece pulling out of the groove.  Perhaps they didn't have the radius of the trim quite right to match the radius of the trailer.  There were even some cases of the trim piece coming completely loose and flying off the trailer while going down the road.

I contacted NuCamp about our issue and they sent me some new clips and adhesive.  There is a vertical groove in the top of the keder rail.  The combination of the small metal clips and adhesive hold the plastic trim piece into the groove.  There are no screws involved.  You can carefully pry the plastic trim off, but it's a pain to clean the old adhesive out, get the clips positioned, put new adhesive in, and get the trim positioned correctly.  I know - I've had to do it to a trim piece on each side.  

Below is a pic of the trim piece that has pulled out of the groove.

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    @WayneW.  Thank you!  That makes sense...as I could not see any screws anywhere in the keder rail.  Mine is not too bad...but I will keep an eye on it.  Thanks again!