Options

Traveling with Pets

BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
Hello all - I've been seriously considering getting a T@B.  Love the simplicity coupled with high quality craftsmanship and support. One thing I have not seen discussed is traveling with pets. I've searched but have not found any conversations touching on the challenges of traveling with a pet in a T@B, especially if you go where it is necessary to leave your pet behind. I have found discussions regarding RV travel with pets but they were for those traveling in larger vehicles. How challenging have you found traveling with your pet to be, especially with regard to temperature? 
Thanks for any information you can share!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I have been reading a bit in this topic. I could not have traveled with my last dog (coonhound) due to his anxiety issues, but I think my little Shih Tzu puppy will be up for the challenge.

There would be times I need to leave him, behind in the T@b, as well. Right now he shows no signs of being a barker, but it might be a little soon to know. Barking is probably concern #1.

I am contemplating taking him to Colorado this fall. The temperatures should be cooler and that makes it easier to think about it. I plan on doings few dry run through, first.

Some people use the tent room for the dogs. I think that could be a solution, but you would need to be careful not to leave them as bait for more aggressive wildlife.

Since my dog is small, I will bring a crate for him to sleep in and to contain ohm while I am gone. If I expect to be out for more than 4 hours, I will probably take him with me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I also have two small dogs.  They are very seasoned car travelers so that would not be an issue. One will even forgo her food for a 'ride in the car'! Mine can be a bit barky but settle down very quickly. I would be reluctant to leave them in the tent room - fear of escape and/or being taken. I'm worried about temperature. Many places can get quite toasty. Also, some states prohibit an animal being left in a car unattended. Would that apply to RV's as well? 
  • Options
    It seems as though the states you reference don't make it illegal altogether, altogether, just if you are negligent in the way you do so. I probably would not take my dog west in the summer. There are times have to use the rest room or run ion a grocery store. https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-laws-protect-animals-left-parked-vehicles

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Also keep in mind, some campgrounds will not let you leave an animal unattended in the campground. 
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Pretty much every campground I've ever been to seems to have rules against leaving pets alone. They also usually need to be on a leash at all times.   Also, some national parks do not allow them at all.  Some allow them in campgrounds but not on trails.  Some campgrounds don't allow them at all or only in specific dog-friendly loops.  For those reasons, my little 11-lb Japanese Chin rarely gets to go camping with us.  He only comes along when we are on short weekend trips where I can plan out the weekend so that he'll always be with us.  I just find it too limiting on long trips, especially in the summer.  All that said, some people seem to travel very successfully with their dogs.  I'll be interested to hear how they avoid leaving them alone without seriously limiting their own activities.  In the summer, it is especially problematic because of the heat.  I don't know how I'd even be able to stop at a visitors center since I couldn't leave him in the heat of the car.  When I do bring him, I am always sure to bring an ample supply of water with me for him (either from home or bottled) to avoid any potential digestive upset.  I also have one of those tie out stakes to comply with leash rules.  However, that is always a big tripping hazard, plus he ends up tangled up.  Needless to say, I'll be interested to hear how others navigate these issues!
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    We travelled and tent camped for years with dogs. Our trips are usually 3 weeks to 3 months, almost always staying in federal campgrounds. We currently have a 90 lb Bouvier and a 11 lb Poodle. Yes, there are some limitations but we would not have it any other way. Just remember that rules are made for those who need them. We use common sense but sometime bend the rules about trails and the couple of time that we have been "caught" were told that they wished all owners trained their dogs to behave as well. We have never had a problem leaving them in our vehicle, a soft top Jeep while we run into Wallyworld. Almost always can find shade if you are willing to park and walk some distance.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Oh I almost forgot Cleo our hamster who went on our last 2 1/2 month camping trip with no problems.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2015
    A main reason we got the Tab was because Motels and rental houses so often will not allow pets. We were very tired of finding a place to leave the dog when we went away. We often refer to the Tab as our (very expensive) dog house on wheels.

Our activities are always planned around the fact that we have our pooch. 

When shopping, even here at home, I'll be sure to find a shady spot (although shopping plaza designers have no concept of shade), or I might even leave the AC running in the car for him.

I doubt we'd leave him in the T@B, except in a pinch he'd be fine. He's a shepherd mutt, about 50#, and pretty tolerant of being alone.  He's happier in the truck.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I live in an area on the east coast where they'd pretty much form a lynch mob if you left your dog in the car when it is over 70 degrees or so, regardless of shade or cracked windows  I really resent that nanny state perspective, but it seems to be reality around here.  They'll literally call the police and some will consider breaking your window.  I've seen the discussions on my town's Facebook page.  "Dog locked in car on Main Street!"  People literally respond, "break the window!"  Nuts.  I am all for treating animals well, but leaving your dog in the car in the shade with windows cracked on an 80-degree day for 5-10 minutes is not beyond the realm of reasonable and kind pet ownership.  

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animal-issues/cruel-practices/dog-hot-car/
  • Options
    I have had people complain about me when I left my dog in the back of my Jeep with the back window rolled up and the side windows removed, basically leaving him under an umbrella! No common sense at all.
  • Options
    I am also in Florida and there is always immense concern for the dogs when I leave them in the car. I appreciate the danger of heat buildup and how fast it can occur. However, I had one individual comment on my leaving the dogs in the car when the outside temp was in the 70's and the sun was setting. I find it ironic that if I left my elderly mom in the car under the same conditions I would get zero comments ;-) I guess they figure she can watch out for herself.

There are ways to monitor and maintain temperature remotely. I am in the process of researching them to see how applicable they would be to the T@B. When I get a good grasp of the options I will post what I have learned.

My longterm goal is to take extended trips with my pets, especially during the summer when it is just to darn toasty down here! 
  • Options
    We go out camping for pretty much 3 weeks minimum. The tent life was good but the wife wanted to wash her hair on occasion. We found that La Quinta was our best bet if possible. They may not say it but they are pet friendly, don't charge extra for the pooches and are clean and pretty nice. Don't know if we will still have to motel is occasionally now with our T@B but I'm sure the hair will need washing with high pressure on occasion.
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I almost always have my shih tzu along, and sometimes my daughter's lab.  I never leave the shih tzu in the Jeep without the AC for any length of time in the summer. I have a bike basket and a pet stroller,  and choose to take him with me, and am sometimes surprised at the places that allow it.  If not, I just don't go.  If it's a half day excursion, you can sometimes find pet sitting locations.  I've never been to a campground that said pets weren't allowed, and I find that a high percentage of folks travel with a dog or  two.  I use my add-a-room for longer stays, or when others are along, but the dogs don't stay in the room without me present.  I have crated my shih tzu and left him in the T@B.  He isn't a barker and sleeps while I'm gone.  You can buy temp monitors that send an alert to our phone when your preset temp is reached.  We were camping at a large COE area one very hot and humid summer when the whole loop lost power.  Rangers were frantically trying to find the owners of the camper beside me, as they had their camper locked tight with dogs inside.  It was like looking for a needle in a haystack because the area had 5 campgrounds on a huge lake.  We left before discovering the dogs' fate.  So sad, and that really stayed with me....
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options

Crystal, I wouldn't bring my dog if temps were too warm. I hate to stop for gas, bathroom breaks, food, and sights too often and it would be a constant source of worry. I also would not bring him if going somewhere like Utah unless it were the middle of winter.

I have two really good dog sitting options at home, so I have always opted for those, but think I would enjoy the company of my new little guy in the right circumstances.

• Options
    Actually the Moab area is pretty dog friendly. There are a lot of trails that they are legal on. My dogs have a great time there.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    They bust out car windows in Arizona when animals are left inside vehicles.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Ya, I don't stop for food.  I eat out of the T@B at various places so that he can be with me.  I do stop for gas and the bathroom, but those are too quick to worry. I have an electric start, so I can run the AC with the doors to the Jeep locked for a bathroom break.  We've made it work without issues.  I'm not doing long road trips in July and August.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

My dog goes wherever I go.  I have no one (other than a boarding kennel--never) to leave him with, and wouldn't even if I did.  This means I have to cut some excursions short and miss some things I might otherwise see, but I would miss the dog even more. If I can park in a shade and it's not too hot, I might leave him for up to an hour.  If not, it's quick stops.

I feel it is my responsibility to provide for the emotional needs of my dog as much as the physical.  If you feel differently, I have no problem with that.  I have even told someone who said that my dog really loved me that a dog will love anyone who feeds them and pats them on the head.  It's just that I have chosen to be the one to feed and pat this one.

BTW:  I had no pets for the first sixty years of my life and if you had told me then that I would ever feel that you, I'd have said you were crazy. :smirk:

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I left my best frie d with our daughter when we went to Tanzania for a month. When she delivered him back to us he was glad to see us but tried to get in her car when she left. He apparently thought we had abandoned him. To make it worse he was homeless when I rescued him. I told myself that I would never do that to a dog again. If my dog ain't welcome neither am I.
  • Options
    I am lucky that my parents are willing to keep my little (canine) guy when we travel.  He loves his visits there, but is still very excited to see us and to jump in the car to leave with us when we get home.  For that reason, leaving him with "Mimi and Pop Pop" seems the kinder option for us.  Every dog is different.  I don't do boarding kennels either after a very bad experience with another dog of mine 20 years ago.  
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Lisa, you make a very good point, "Every dog is different."

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RLIGHTCAP1RLIGHTCAP1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking online and found this teardrop.  I wanted to have a camper type air conditioner installed in my car to keep the pup cool while traveling. Mechanic thinks I'm crazy, but not as crazy as my husband thinks now. I told him that I want a T@B for our 11 lb toy poodle. I haven't seen here where any of you said that you put the pup in the camper with the a/c on while you go sightseeing or have a meal.  ok...am I crazy?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    People have done that, but the stories you always hear are the ones about when the electricity failed and the dog was locked inside the camper with no AC...

The air conditioner in most (all?) campers depends on the electricity that the campground provides. 120v AC, sometimes called 'shore power', ie: regular 'house current', is what's required for RV air conditioners, because they draw so much power. 

Your car's air conditioner uses the engine to power it.

HTH :-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    otterhereotterhere Member Posts: 5
    I'm actually looking into travel trailers (and even Class B vans) BECAUSE of my two cats who, being only 9, probably won't die before I retire and whom I can't conceivably leave with pet-sitters for all the months and even years I hope to spend traveling the country.  Also, even those hotels, condo/house rentals, and friends/relatives who'll accommodate a dog are not so happy to have cats around!  But I, too, face this dilemma.  Heck, I'll want to spend the day hiking or the beach!  I guess you run your batteries keeping them cool or warm and just hope nothing malfunctions.  If it does -- that's the risk you run?  No one ever said this lifestyle was "safe"...
  • Options
    otterhereotterhere Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2015
    Hamster, yes.  I can see the blog now.  Rabbits, guinea pigs, and rabbits are also nice and calm.  After the cats die.
  • Options
    I too would like to wander for a few hours and feel my dogs are safe from heat. I'm not to worried about cold. I've been searching for an energy efficient personal ac unit.  There are relatively small swamp coolers out there but they only work in low humidity environments and seem to get mixed reviews. The IcyBreeze cooler is something new I have stumbled across. On low they claim it will run for 6 hours.  I'm curious as to how much moisture it would generate inside - but I do like the off the grid capability. If power were to go out in a campground it would continue to work. The question would be how to rig it to only turn on if the temperature reached X degrees - or just leave it on when you know it will be a toasty day. So far just tech reviews. No consumer reviews on amazon yet. 
    http://www.icybreeze.com
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2473488,00.asp
    http://www.industryoutsider.com/icybreeze-coolest-cooler-ever/
  • Options
    It all depends on the ambient temperature. My pups are used to warm weather and could handle mid to low 80's with no problem. I'm just one of those who need to research all possibilities. The weather is so variable lately that who knows how far temps will migrate outside of the norms. Generally I would think a fan would be sufficient. The key is to find one that is a power miser and doesn't generate much heat.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The Fantastic Fan?  Isn't one of the reasons that it's 'fantastic' is its efficiency?

If the outdoor temp is 80-85°F 'in the shade', I'd like to see what the difference is inside a Tab that's in a shady spot. 

Also, is there some kind of alert device that will call your cell when the temp reaches 'X' degrees? Or maybe email, which would work with any internet access.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    If you pay attention to police vehicles with K9 in them you will see that the officers leave their vehicles running when they leave them. What you will not notice is that they have a device that alerts them if their vehicle stops running so they will know to tend to their partners. I'm not really sure if the notification is triggered by the vehicle not running or by the temperature. Never asked, just know they alert.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    ChanW - I don't find the Fantastic fan that miserly - Sucks more juice than anything else in the T@B - I only use it if I've got good solar or the generator. Sucks too much juice for running on just the battery - My experience anyway.