Options

Traveling with Pets

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Hmmm. Good to know. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have never left the Fantastic Fan on because it is such a big battery power hog.

Check out O2 fans. They're available on Amazon, in Walmart, Gander Mountain, etc.  They are battery operated fans in various sizes. I have a 5" that uses AA batteries or it plugs into a USB port. A 5" that uses AA batteries. The 10" ones use D batteries.

I leave Sunny Day in the Silver Shadow for limited amount of times and I leave one or two of the O2 fans on for her with the FF fan vent open and one or two windows open. She has never caused a problem and most of the time I wake her up when I return. 

Those of of you with dogs/cats who need to be more confined could point the fan(s) at a crate with your pet in it. 

And, just to protect myself, I always have a thermometer in the SS so I can prove how warm it is. 

I also have have left Sunny Day set up as described above and left the keys for the SS with the camp host, just in case the tour I was going on lasted longer than I expected. I worried for nothing--she was good. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    There are also cooling pads/mats for them to lay on that you can purchase.  I have one.  It stays cool, but my shih tzu prefers not to lay on it.  If he was hot, I suppose he would.  I keep it in the Jeep just in case.  There are other, similar type items you can buy, too.  I even wondered about a dish pan of water that he could climb into in case of an emergency.  Usually when I feel he should be hot, he isn't.  I'm just a little overprotective, and he's just a little cold natured.   lol
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I travel with dogs, both for work and pleasure.  I never rely upon air conditioning.  Too many dogs have died because of air conditioning failure.  When parked, I use a solar screen for the windshield, and a tailgate lock.  They can be purchased at cleanrun.com.  can't seem to post the link.  

Also, when camping, I chain the dogs to the camper/vehicle, where they can duck underneath for shade.  I get them out of the car whenever I can.
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    A police dog died this year in a patrol car that AC failed on in the town I live... No monitors in the car...so sad...I am a pet owner and I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my animals in such a precarious situation.
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Deltaboy, that's terrible!  So preventable.  BbchBum, that's a great site!  Thanks for the link.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    Now six years later than last post,  anyone use an Icybreeze in their 320?
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No Icybreeze, but I have a Max Aire roof fan, and a DeWalt fan that uses the same batteries as my drill. Those are changes I’ve made in the past 6 years. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”