Options

Ball Hitch Noodle Shin-Saver

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
edited November 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
Now that we've got the hitch tightener installed & are planning not to remove it very often, we needed something to protect against bruised shins while loading/unloading the van.  Because I wasn't very impressed with the offerings on Amazon, I decided to try making a shin guard using a "pool noodle".

I started by making horizontal cuts no more than halfway through at the top & bottom of the three different parts, then vertical cuts at or narrower than their width, then various oblique cuts at different angles to dig out some of the inside foam to create space for the hitch parts to fit.

The hitch does not fit all the way into the center, because I wanted to leave the full thickness of foam on the other side where protection is needed most.  Note, I also filled the hole on top with a leftover scrap carved to fit snugly to help prevent rain & dirt from going inside.

I wrapped a double sided velcro strap around the noodle both above & below the main support bar of the hitch.  I found that a serrated knife, such as this old bread knife cut very easily & was good for long straight cuts, but for detailed work, maybe something like a tomato knife or box cutter would be better.  Seems like this should work, but it hasn't been tested yet, so we shall see.  It's easy enough to get on & off quickly, so that should not be a deter me from using it.

Since we carry bicycles inside the van, this may be most valuable when getting them in & out, when I am more focused on not ripping a hole through the ceiling with a handlebar than with not bumping into the hitch.  The only thing worse than bone pain is self-inflicted bone pain. 😉
-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments

• Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    That’s awesome
    I just cut a poole noodle  in half and use a cord

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    That's using the ol' noodle!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    And one for the T@B tongue..

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    Spiffy!! The other benefit besides saving your shins, is the greasy ball is covered. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I wonder if I can do that for my huge weight distribution hitch! I keep a permanent summer bruise on my shins because of that thing.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    What does it look like, @Ratkity?
  • Options
    @BrianZ, it looks like the biggest shin whacker you've ever seen! I'd go outside and take a picture, but I'm a wee medicated and have a very, very sore foot. I'm probably not going to try to tackle the steps outside of the front door to take a picture. 

However, I found a picture online. I circled the part of the hitch that sticks out. The bars are put on when hitched up to camper.

I think the hitch itself weighs 70# so leave it on all summer. This is for the dual axle toy hauler.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Thanks, @Ratkity. That is quite the contraption, isn't it!  I'm thinking you might be able to just wrap a 2-ft length of pool noodle around the body of that hitch with a rope through the hollow center & ends tied in the back.  Then you may be able to just slip it on & off, if snug enough.  If the full size noodle is too stiff to bend around it, either try cutting 1/3 off the circumference lengthwise, or else get a smaller diameter one.  I got mine at Lowes & they had both sizes.
    And you're right, that is the biggest shin-wacker I've ever seen!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Ratkity, you need to wrap that in an entire egg crate mattress😂
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    :rofl:@SAM and @BrianZ! I call it my Zombie Rear Sweeper. If the grill guard in the front doesn't get them, they will lose their legs on the hitch! I even have "Zombie Response Team" sign on my camper and velcro stickers saying the same thing on the German Shepherd puppy's vest. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    You don’t even need a wheel lock!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I have a special handle I use that grabs the ball so I can balance the monster when I do take it off.

I always use a lock. I had a bad experience as a young woman when the cotter pin broke and the 40# solid steel hitch (Dad gave to me) fell off after the main pin wiggled out and the trailer escaped. No, the chains were useless! Low speed accident. Did NOT slam on brakes when I saw it gaining on me for a sec. Most people's first reaction is to slam on the brakes. Fortunately, I was taught to just let up on the gas and take a sec to assess the situation. No damage to truck or Uhaul. Trailer was empty except one small item. That was my 3rd-three hour round trip moving to a new place. Fools and Drunks, eh? I don't drink either, but considered it after that trip from Hades. Oiy.
  • Options
    @Ratkity, the smaller pool noodle (2-1/4" diam) can be bent to go around your hitch, but the larger (3-1/2" diam) is too stiff to be bent to fit.