Outback Spare tire mount on tongue

We have a 2016 Outback and want to take the spare from the Yakima basket and attach it to the tongue. Looking for suggestion as to what specific bracket to use to attach the spare tire to the side of the tongue. Again, we have the standard outback spare tire to remount.  Thanks!

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Posts: 2,801Moderator
    Search “spare tire mount”.
    Sharon
    Cleveland Heights, Ohio
    2017 TaB CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan

• jkjennjkjenn Posts: 4,816Member
    Kfer said:
    We have a 2016 Outback and want to take the spare from the Yakima basket and attach it to the tongue. Looking for suggestion as to what specific bracket to use to attach the spare tire to the side of the tongue. Again, we have the standard outback spare tire to remount.  Thanks!
    FYI, you will find a host of them on eTrailer and Amazon. I added a piece of wood as a spacer on the tongue to give the tongue jack room to crank. The wood wax probably 2-3" thick.

Jenn Grover | 2015  [email protected] S Max Silver/Turquoise Trim | 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk v6 | Nights spent in [email protected]: 180 | Pittsburgh PA

• SWTexMexSWTexMex Posts: 8Member
    What mount did you decide on?  I have a 2017 Outback.. wanting to do the same thing.
  • KferKfer Posts: 12Member
    We decided to keep the tire mounted on the back rack and then we tied our beach chairs on top of the tire with bungee cords.  
  • KferKfer Posts: 12Member
    Here is what it looks like.....then we still can put our bikes back there and even our beach umbrellas on either side of the rack
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Posts: 289Member
    Kfer said:
    .....then we still can put our bikes back there and even our beach umbrellas on either side of the rack
    CAUTION

Someplace on this Forum is a post quoting NuCamp that Yakima Rack is rated at 75 pounds.

The Boondock Spare is 45-50 pounds so you only have 25 pounds to play with, way too little for two bicycles.  Staying within the rated load limits is a good idea so a bad road day event does not become a really bad event.
    2018 [email protected] 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE
    TV: 2017 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, Factory Trailer Brake Controller
       Adventures:  12       Nights:   34 
  • 4ncar4ncar Posts: 389Member
    Yakima rates the tower mounts at 165 lbs. obviously the means of attachment to the tab is the weak link. Would be good to know definitively...
    TV- '14 Jeep GC Eco Diesel & '09 JKU 
    2018 320S Outback
  • VernaVerna Posts: 4,764Administrator
    @4ncar, you can email [email protected] and he will have the correct answer. He has answered a lot of my questions lately. nüCamp will be back from their vacation on Monday. 
    Verna, Indianapolis, Indiana; 2019 [email protected] 400 Boondock Lite white/red; towed by a red 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD 4x4; [email protected] Administrator.  If not now, when?

• RangerTomRangerTom Posts: 61Member
    edited October 7
    Just bought the Rigid mount @rajamar recommended.  I have the 2017 OutBack and decided to move the spare tire to the tongue.  More tongue weight which is good when carrying a bike on the back rack and it makes access to the spare much easier.  With the Yakima rack still on the back it is available to carry other things along with a bike or two.
    It was an easy move just using the hardware that came with the mount but may still use 2 U-bolts when I get to the hardware store.  The mount itself though is very heavy duty and the holes lined up perfectly to accept the spare tire.  From what I can tell it is the most heavy duty mount available.  Well worth the few extra dollars.
    2017 [email protected] OutBack 320S, 2018 Toyota Highlander.  Pewaukee, Wisconsin.  Windsurfer, Kiteboarder, Paraglider Pilot
  • BrianZBrianZ Posts: 435Member
    @RangerTom,
     We used a similar mount, but eventually replaced the flat bar clamps with the U-bolts shown near the bottom of this page..
    http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/comment/100478
    I like how they flatten into a strap-like shape in the curved portion, with a cross-hatched pattern on the inside for a good grip.

edited October 15
    BrianZ said:
    @RangerTom,
     We used a similar mount, but eventually replaced the flat bar clamps with the U-bolts shown near the bottom of this page..
    http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/comment/100478
    I like how they flatten into a strap-like shape in the curved portion, with a cross-hatched pattern on the inside for a good grip.

Was ready to order but found that they no longer carry the 2 1/4 inch ones, but they had the 2 1/2inch ones.  I then bought some 2 1/4 inch muffler clamps from the local NAPA, but the hole spacing in the spare tire bracket I bought is too wide so I will need to buy 2 1/2" clamps.
    2017 [email protected] OutBack 320S, 2018 Toyota Highlander.  Pewaukee, Wisconsin.  Windsurfer, Kiteboarder, Paraglider Pilot
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Posts: 289Member
    edited October 9
    RangerTom said:
    . . . ordered 2 1/2" clamps and will see how they work.

Don't recall the U-Bolt dimensions used on my Jack Post installation.  Just took the hole spacing and depth measurements to a hardware store and found the best match in their stock.  Added 'red' air hose (matches Red Trim [email protected]) for padding and double hex nuts.
    First mod completed . . . before any camping adventures.
    2018 [email protected] 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE
    TV: 2017 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, Factory Trailer Brake Controller
       Adventures:  12       Nights:   34 
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Posts: 185Member
    Nice using the red air hose for padding. Spiffy indeed. I tried a clear tube and it was hard to put on, then didn't allow for a snug fit around the jack tube. I glued a piece of rubber mat on the flat plate and around the jack tube to give a snug fit and no metal on metal.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2018 [email protected] 320 S/2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4WD
    edited October 10
    Looks great and same mount I have.  I think I'll look at doing something similar, though at the moment it is very securely mounted without any play just using the hardware that came with the mount.
    edited October 15
    Purchased 5/16" X 2 1/2" Stainless Steel U-Bolts from a local ACE Hardware store and added clear plastic tubing.
    See attached photo.  Very securely mounted with a nut and lock washer added.  I do like having the spare off of the back of the [email protected] as it is much easier to access it if there is a flat.  Also, I no longer have to worry about having a sway problem due to low tongue weight, and the back Yakima rack is still available for bicycle and other things.