Options

Water Pump

We are on a road trip and hooked up today at an RV park after being off the grid for a few days and suddenly the water pump is rattling, but it only happens after the faucet has been turned on for about ten to fifteen seconds. The lower the flow the longer the delay b/f the banging starts. The rattle causes the whole camper to viberate. The sound is very similar to that of pump cavitation. I checked the water pump and it appears that it may have some air entrainment. Has anyone else encounter a problem like this and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Are you hooked up to city water?  Sounds like you are using the pump while on city water.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Liam_n_MaggieLiam_n_Maggie Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2019

We experienced the exact same thing with the rattling. When we first used the pump it was fine. Then we spent time at an rv park connected to water, and when we went back to boondocking, the pump rattled VERY LOUDLY.
    After doing some searching here, we followed someone's advice to inspect the filter as the first step since it was easy.
    Sure enough, it had debris in it. We cleared it out, put it back on, and the rattling is gone. Hope this works for anyone else who experiences this.
    Since it's so easy, it's probably not a bad idea for everyone to check and clear their filters (unless you believe in "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" :blush: ).
    2017 T@b S Outback. 2016 Toyota Tacoma.
    Islamorada, FL & Westbrook, CT.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Not sure if this matters, but I think our filter cup screws off from the bottom.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I believe the filter doohickey is a screw-on component. If you are careful not to force it too much, you may be able to rotate it a bit into a more accessible angle if desired.
    Mine does look different than the one shown above. It's just a clear cap without any depth. The screen inside is similar but maybe a little shorter.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    We also get that when there are bubbles in the line.  After running all the water fixtures including the outside shower, it goes away.   That is, of course, if it isn't being caused by the filter debris talked about above.
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Okay so clearing out the filter seemed to work, but was short-lived.
    Soon after the rattling returned.  :scream:
    So we dug a little further and read/heard that the pipes carrying the water are hard plastic and will knock against anything they come in contact with, like the walls, when the pump is running.
    So we bought squishy foamy insulation for pipes and wrapped them around the pipes where they were close to the walls.
    Problem fixed :) , hopefully for good.
    Pipe insulation was 1/2" (couldn't find 1/4" at Lowe's), and the cost was just under $7.
    Access to the pipes was through the panel and seat under the television and behind the shower. You can see in my pics that I used my new fancy white duct tape to hold the
    pipe insulation downward towards the bottom.
    Hope this is helpful to others.
    Great site!

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 586
    @Liam_n_Maggie Thank you!! This project has been on my list. Thanks for showing it's ok to remove that panel and how you attached the foam. I'll try this first since it worked for you. I also noticed some pipe to the left of the pump that could be hitting the wall and was going to wrap it too. Thanks again!!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I believe another problem location for rattling pipes (tubing) is right at the pump itself.  I need to get around to fixing mine some day.

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited March 2019
    @Liam_n_Maggie , "ditto" what @dsfdogs stated.  I too have had this on my "to do" list to rectify the rattling noise, which is fairly common with RV water pumps.  I have wondered why nüCamp does not use pipe foam to insulate all the water lines.  However, despite the minimal cost, from a business standpoint it does increase the labor time/cost.  Additionally, there is the potential that foam covering the pex lines might make it harder to locate the source of water leaks.  Regardless, it is an easy modification to add the foam where water lines are accessible, and a must near the water pump.  (Greg)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Yes - I also put the foam insulation around the pipes near the pump, and below the pump near the floor. Basically, anywhere that I saw these two pipes near something to bang into. Sorry I didn't include pictures of that as it was hard to get to. I was able to peek over the back shower wall through the access door then reached in with one arm (armed with the foam), and went by feel to get the pipes wrapped.
    Definitely do that too. Very easy and cheap fix to a big headache. 

• Options
    Thanks @dsfdogs, @klenger, and @Bayliss for adding your input. All good points.

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 586
    Ok, thanks on the additional areas you covered. It's so incredibly difficult to get back there. I finally attached a hook to the wall to hold the door open so I didn't have to use my head! 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    All I can say is, "That's using your head, @dsfdogs ."   ;)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)