Options

Anyone have problems with campgrounds assigning poor sites to fit small trailers

2 out of 7 campgrounds on trip we took with 2017 T@B charged same price for our assigned site having no picnic table and very small tight space as sites assigned to large RVs. We reserved campgrounds in January for July vacation.  First campground squeezed us into tight space with no picnic table and site had no site number posted—thinking campground chose to put us in this site because we could fit unlike a larger RV. Second RV campground did the same thing.  We travelled with family using a fifth wheel trailer and had asked to be assigned sites together so we know we were charged full rate for these sites. Has anyone experienced similar problems?
2017 T@B 320S silver with blue trim, towed by 6 cylinder RAV

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have had this before. I have also had CG owners be able to fit me in better sites. What I like about sites reserved through Reserve America (national parks, forests, some state parks) is that you pick your own site. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Yes. Happened once in largely empty campground. Fortunately we were with friends with a slightly larger camper who were essentially given two sights, so we had plenty of room to hang out. Still, it didn't leave me with a lot of warm fuzzies for the place.

Most of the time I stay at places that let you choose your own site.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Reserve America has been great because most of the CGs have a picture of the sites. I can look at it and think, OMG, my long truck couldn't possibly make it into that beautiful truck with that silly tree on the other side of the road.

You don't know how many times I've come across sites that were perfect, but there may be site markers (short 4x4's) or huge trees that make the turn into the site nearly impossible. 

Speaking of picnic tables.. them suckers are made to be heavy so they don't "walk away". A few are chained to the ground. The ones that aren't are always in my way when backing up! I can't lift them, but fortunately, I camp with some muscular dewds and dewdettes. Much appreciated help is always available.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, You DO know you don't have to pick the whole table up at once, right? :s:o I've had to move a couple of REALLY heavy ones in my time, and find if you scoot one side, then the other, it's not quite as exhausting. :fearful::rofl:
    Back on subject.. I've had experiences where some of the "land yachts" have done the opposite, and taken spots that they literally destroyed trees, and surrounding greenery by trying to sandwich their way in to a WAY too small spot. :o:s I, also prefer to reserve spots where a photo of the space is available to view. Since a lot of my camping is boondocking, I can usually pick my own spot. I can't say I've even been subjected to a smaller space because of the T@B though. That has to really suck. Especially if you're being charged a premium price for the site. My sincere condolences to those of you that have had this experience. I think it would make me a little :angry:   
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My 2015 GMC truck had an extra long bed (the old std - 6'2") with a crew cab. I was towing the T@Bitha and there was this GRRRRRR(beep) tree on the other side of the road that I had to move up and inch, go back an inch, turn steering wheel ... rinse and repeat at least 12x! ugh. I must admit, no damages to the truck and it was an amazing feat of backing up. Too bad no one saw it! Geesh. It wasn't that the T@B didn't fit. My goodness, a 35 ft land yacht could fit in it and it was a beautiful spot EXCEPT FOR THAT PINE TREEEEEEEE (you can tell I was traumatized by the incident). Since that tree was directly across the site, it didn't matter which direction down the road I drove to back up... the tree didn't move! 

I can't even imaging trying to back into that spot with the toy hauler, even though the Ford has a smaller bed. Maybe it would do better. The toy hauler is only 21 ft tongue to tail. It's really small. Just very tall.

The odd thing is that many RVs and campers have this thick membrane roof. It has a 10 yr guarantee against leaks... excepting branches and limbs and driving/parking incidents. I can't imagine all the people who just barrel into a spot with hanging limbs and they have that type of roof.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I usually use Google Maps and look at the satellite photos of a campground to find my spot.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    Capt_KLRCapt_KLR Member Posts: 38
    Work in my favour a couple of nights ago. Assigned a small site to accommodate the mighty T@B. Turned out to be the best site at the end of a wedge created by the course of a creek on the property. 

However, have been assigned sites that are very poor.

Another thing I have noticed is where the sewer connections are placed. I have been assigned places where the connections are at the back of site, totally useless for the T@B. Sorry, hope I didn't hijack thread.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Capt_KLR, the rear sewer connection is why I carry a 15’ and a 10’ extension sewer hose. The two combined seem to be enough. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”