Options

Trailer not accepting charge from tow vehicle

rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
On my most recent trip with the T@b, I discovered the trailer battery was not being charged by the tow vehicle. 

I bought a mutimeter. When I check the truck side of things, there is power to the 12V battery pin. 

If if I touch the probes of the multimeter to the trailer plug pin connections, I get nothing. 

The trailer is a 2016 CS-S, with no Jensen.  There is no battery disconnect switch in the trailer.

Im not great at dealing with electrical issues.

Help? 
2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Comments

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 88
    where are you testing the trailer plug connection?
  • Options
    mgreen2 said:
    where are you testing the trailer plug connection?
    The plug at the end of the cord, which plugs into the tow vehicle.  One probe on the ground pin, one probe on the 12V / battery pin. 
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    If you don't have a battery disconnect do you have the auto reset circuit breaker? They go bad. It should be inline with the positive wire off the battery.

2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    If you don't have a battery disconnect do you have the auto reset circuit breaker? They go bad. It should be inline with the positive wire off the battery.

Coming off the battery, I’m pretty sure it’s just a fuse. 

If if there was a problem in the main positive line off the battery though, that would mean nothing would work off the battery, right?  The battery is running all the 12V circuits in the trailer without issue. 
  • Options
    rkj__ said:

Coming off the battery, I’m pretty sure it’s just a fuse. 

If if there was a problem in the main positive line off the battery though, that would mean nothing would work off the battery, right?  The battery is running all the 12V circuits in the trailer without issue. 
    Ah, ok. Can you follow the 7 pin cable back to the junction box under the trailer. All the wires connect in side it. Maybe the wire came apart.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    If the pins are intact and not dirty/corroded, I would also check the junction box.  You probably know this, but, disconnect your battery/shorepower before tinkering inside the box.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Ok, I'll inspect the junction box for anything that is visibly wrong, and report back.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    rkj__ said:

If if I touch the probes of the multimeter to the trailer plug pin connections, I get nothing. 

The trailer is a 2016 CS-S, with no Jensen.  There is no battery disconnect switch in the trailer.

So you have verified the following:

The fuse at the battery is intact and not blown?

Connections at the battery are clean, not corroded, lugs are tightened down good, wire connections are crimped tightly, not loose, etc?

Positive & ground wire connections at the battery are intact and making good electrical connections?

I'm not sure when the factory started installing the on/off battery disconnect switches in the trailers but if there is one it should be in the tub area I'm guessing.   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    rkj__ said:

So you have verified the following:

The fuse at the battery is intact and not blown?

Connections at the battery are clean, not corroded, lugs are tightened down good, wire connections are crimped tightly, not loose, etc?

Positive & ground wire connections at the battery are intact and making good electrical connections?

I'm not sure when the factory started installing the on/off battery disconnect switches in the trailers but if there is one it should be in the tub area I'm guessing.   

Fuse ok - all 12V features run on battery power ok.

Leads screwed to the battery are tight, and free of significant corrosion. 

I have not inspected every crimp connection.  I'll look for any issues there. 

I believe the cutoff switches were added late 2016 / early 2017.  As mentioned, my trailer does not have one. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you do not have an AGM battery, are the fluid levels in the battery at an acceptable level?   I know, that was probably the first thing you checked. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    If you do not have an AGM battery, are the fluid levels in the battery at an acceptable level?   I know, that was probably the first thing you checked. 
    It's a flooded battery.  I checked it recently, and found the water level basically unchanged.  It does not tend to lose significant amounts of water.

There are no issues charging off of shore power. 
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @rkj__ , with battery disconnected check continuity between junction box and pin on end of plug that goes to TV. Possibly open in cable between junction box to the plug that goes into TV.

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Thanks.  I found this image posted by ScottG.  It looks like it's the terminal second from the right that is of interest to me.  And, it's the heavier gauge black wire, with the yellow connector I should check for continuity, correct?

I'll try to check it out sometime this week.

• Options
    That should work, and the post to the right looks like neutral. Check that to.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    rkj__ said:
    . . .  file to all the pins to clean them up.
    Might add one of these to your tool kit:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I also use a little dielectric grease to help keep the 7 pin corrosion-free.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    X2 @jkjenn! I use it all the time. I also use it for my shore power cord on both the trailer end & the cord itself.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @rkj__ when I unhitch, I make a conscious effort to make sure the end of the T@B side of the 7pin connnnector is pointing down, to help try to keep it dry. That helps, but sometimes, the connection will need to be cleaned. See the suggestions above for anti-corrosives to keep on hand. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Verna, I try to keep mine downward as well. The dielectric grease helps keep the moisture out of the pin slots. A good visual once in a while never hurts though.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf