Options

Victron BMV 700 battery monitor display troubleshooting

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,505
For those of you with the Victron BMV, just wanted to share our experience with troubleshooting.  Since it has a shunt, the display is always on.  Twice now we have found the display blank  - once when we had just brought it out of storage and today when I entered the Tab to do some work.  Incidentally, I believe both times following some heavy rain.

The first time, we checked the shunt (mounted inside the TaB), the positive supply cable and even the dongle.  Everthing was intact.  I called PKSY -our dealer -and asked if it could be the fuse on the supply cable. They suggested it may be a loose wire somewhere rather than the very low amperage fuse.  So we fiddled with the supply cable at the shunt and magically the display turned on.  Never really identified a loose connection.  Today, no amount of fiddling with cables would render power.  I called the Maine office of Victron North America and spoke with Rich who suggested we check the fuse.  Our positive supply cable was bundled with the cut off switch wiring and we found the fuse holder buried under loom and lots of electrical tape.  While not blown, the fuse holder had some moisture and corrosion.  We cleaned off the fuse and reinserted and the display powered up.  Yeah!  The 2 ends of the fuse holder slip over the cable and there is a gap where water can enter.  We cleaned it up and will  put some dielectric grease around the fuse holder to help seal it from the elements.  Another fuse to add to your collection -T 100 mA E 250v fast blow cartridge fuse.
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good information, thanks for sharing!  I will have two Victron displays to maintain.  👍🏻😉
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,505
    Charge controller, too?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    FYI: I just removed my Victron BMV712 from my 400 (long story - but not due to an issue with the Victron). In the process of removing the shunt, I came across a factory crimp neg lead on the battery going to the converter and till I re-crimped it, no power in the 400!

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2018
    @LSkrabut, trust me, the factory electrical workers are having re-training in this area.

Marvin found one on my 400 before I even hitched up, and the nüCamp employees are watching another discussion on the forum concerning bad crimps. Marvin kept my splice for “show and tell”. 

As a former telephone company employee who had to splice wiring daily, I am very aware of the results of bad crimping (even though we used different parts for splicing). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    If you use the right crimp for the wire used and the correct tool, I dont see how you can make a bad crimp. We crimp from #22 gauge up to 2/0( much bigger then #2). The best tools will not release until the correct tension has been applied.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You can get a bad crimp, if the wire is not fully seated, Nd you align the crimp tool incorrectly (in front of the wire), discovered one on a negative lead to the battery on my TaB400.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.