Portable DVD player vs Jensen

A recent bumpy ride, and a loose screw on the Jensen TV mount, left our screen on the floor and trashed.  Replacing it will cost at least $200 and more if I replace the Jensen mount that I don’t trust (and NuCamp no longer uses). However...for $50-100 we can get a portable DVD player...does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @DurangoTaB, my Jenson TV broke two years ago. I replaced it with a $175 (approx) 12V TV/DVD combo from Amazon. Since I Boondock so much, I never did verify that it worked with the Jenson entertainment center, but the sound was good enough for me. Plus, I no longer had to get up to change DVD’s. The color was great on it, too. (The names was Acexx or something like that, but there were others also with a built-in DVD player, just more expensive.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Thanks Verna...I think Jenn Grover did something very similar.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

@DurangoTaB, I believe @jkjenn got the same 19” model I purchased. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We purchased a portable DVD and a separate speaker.  It’s fine for the limited time we use it.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    V, did you have success with your digital movies you put on usb from your dvd collection? I've been using 256g usb 3.0 while digitizing my dvds. I'm doing it because I have a tiny house and want all my dvds packed out of the way.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Oh, regarding the 12V TVs. I've had the worst luck with them. I finally got a regular TV and bluray player since I only really watch it rarely and I'm rarely boondocking a this time in my life. Then I realized my speakers were less than par and the TV speakers were directed towards me and I could hear better (or I could use wireless headphones - I'm always worried about bothering people). 

Then I found my Jensen unit had a bad speaker crimp. *Sigh* All campers have issues off the lot. BTW, I'm talking about my Riverside Retro toy hauler. Very good quality for the size (21' tongue to tail). I won't get rid of my Jensen since the outside speakers are awesome. I did put an on/off switch on the Jensen so it wouldn't pull power when the camper was unused.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    My success with 12V DC TV’s is the opposite of that of @Ratkity.  I put one in my 4x8 Teardrop, one more in my 5x10 Silver Shadow Teardrop, the Jenson had a bad circuit board connection from the time I purchased it used in my T@B S Max, and the newer one in the T@B S Max was great. 3 out of 4 isn’t bad to me. They do take a beating and keep on working....with a few exceptions. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I bought a Sony Blu-ray player (BDP-S1700) and cut the cord at the plug leaving only the hot and common wires.  I carefully separated the two, added an extension and ran it to the converter for power.  This way it works on 12V.  Very easy to do.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Oh, I simply ran a HDMI cable from the Sony to the television behind the shower wall.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.