Options

Alde Heater- Can power to water heater be turned off when using a Generator

eltonelton Member Posts: 13
I want to use a generator in FL and need to know if Alde Heater can be turned off. I assume the system works thru the Thermostat automatically and does not draw power if set low enough, however, to be sure would it be best to turn it OFF somehow? How do I turn If OFF? Is this harmful?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @elton, which control do you have digital vs slider?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @elton, this is a question I haven't considered before, but I think(which can be dangerous) if you really need to shut the power off, you could turn off the individual breaker, labeled alde in the converter box? Experts and electrical engineers chime in here please!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited July 2018
    @elton, at most the digital control might draw a negligible bit of 12V power (either from the converter of the battery) at all times. There shouldn't be any 120V drain if the unit is off.

I can't see any advantage to completely disconnecting the unit, but if you must do so than the easiest way would be to flip the Alde's 120V breaker and pull the 12V fuse. IIRC those circuits serve only the Alde so no other devices should be affected.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There's a 110V plug on the other side of the driver's side side bench under the center bench. The Alde can be unplugged totally from there. Just a side note: that silly plug creeps out. Make it the first thing you check if you find your Alde not responding! :) 

P.S. Not sure about the 400. Maybe V can check in her down time (yeah, right), to see if there's that 110V plug for the Alde.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, there is a 110V outlet in the 400 and in the 320 for the Alde.

But, I would caution unplugging from the 110V unless you turn the display or analog control off first. You will have fewer blown fuses if you always turn the display off before connecting or disconnecting power. 

I agree with @ScottG that this will save very little energy, whether 12V or 110V. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    When I read elton’s post, it sounds like he just wants to turn off the Alde while running the generator.  Can you safely run the Alde while using a generator?  Is it necessary to turn anything off while using a generator or do you just need to turn it off when you initially start the generator and avoid any surges?
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Generators rarely have surges. Their inverters supposedly put out pure sine waves. If you are concerned, you can use a Progressive Surge protector (or something similar), but you'll need a loopback plug to get power to the camper. Honda and Yamaha's are known for pure sine waves. There are more <50 decibel generators that are being made, but I only know about those two.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)