Alde Water Heater

SystemSystem Posts: 180
This discussion was created from comments split from: Windows Tab 400 -2018.

Comments

• VdunajVdunaj Member Posts: 5
    Hi! We have a question now about our water system, the Aldi system to heat water runs on electric correct?  If hooked up to electric, there is no need to turn on propane?  Ours isn't too hot, just warm with no cold.  We will probably need to adjust the temperature mixer.  Thanks for your assistance!
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    From what I understand, it's more efficient on propane, but yes, it can run on electric only.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    The Alde boiler has a default temperature.  If you want temporary hotter water, adjust the shower setting higher and it will boost water temperature for 30 minutes.  If the default temperature is too cool, you need to adjust the mixing valve.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • AJLilchickAJLilchick Member Posts: 10
    How long after I fill water tank should the water start coming out hot?
    edited September 2018
    @AJLilchick, I don’t know the exact timing as there are several variables at play (how cold is the water to start, using electric only, LPG only or both electric and LPG).  I will assume you have the digital display turned on and since it is summer, your thermostat is turned down below ambient.  As a result, the glycol pump will be off, so all the heat generated by the Alde will be available to heat the hot water tank.  
    The fastest way to heat water to maximim temperature in the summer:

1.  Turn off electric on the Alde display.  Do not connect to shorepower - instead Turn on LPG.  The Alde defaults to electric and you end up with less than 2 kw of energy heating your water.  So, use LPG initially.   Once your tank is hot, you can revert to using electric to run the Alde.  Maybe about 20 minutes using LPG, maybe longer using shorepower.

The situation is different if you are heating your cabin.  Then the fastest way to heat water (and your cabin) is to use both electric and LPG.  That’s another story.  

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2018
    Alde has designed it to get the heat source from propane, or electric, or both propane and electric. 

If both propane and electric are selected at the control panel, the Alde will use both the shore power and the propane to initially 'get up to temperature'. Then, once it's warmed up, it will default back to electric only...

That's the quickest way to get hot water (or to get a warm tab interior!) I think Alde says 15 - 30 minutes or so.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you have the digital control panel you can monitor the exact water temperature using the Service menu. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    @ChanW, I thought the same thing, but I just re-read the Alde manual (for the hundredth time😀) and that only applies when we are heating the cabin.  

In summer, if you have the thermostat set low so the LPG is not called for based on cabin temperature, the Alde on both LPG + electric defaults to electric - the lesser kw heat source.  Also, when you are not using cabin heat, there is no SHOWER “boost” either as that is actually contingent upon actually stopping the circulating glycol.  I edited my comment above because they can simply turn off the electric.  Just when I think I have the Alde figured out, I find that I misinterpretted something.  I wish we had a Swedish speaking forum member!  The issue of using both electric and LPG and boosting hot water volume on pg 11 of the manual is done within the context of heating the cabin.  On page 6, the very first paragraph on hot water, they say you can use either electric OR LPG and they refer to temporarily increasing the temp of the hot water by referring back to using the thermostat - which you only use when you heat the cabin.

I love the Alde.  I dislike the manual.

Sharon

Thank you all. Also how is the water heater filled with water? Is it when I fill my water tanks?
    being onlybtwo week old to owning my tab I have a lot of questions, perhaps silly and or simple for some.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ha! I stand corrected (once more!) (It happens whenever I try to function before coffee)

Thanks Sharon...  :s
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @ChanW, I think a lot of us interpretted the manual that way.  Just this month, I was hitting the shower boost - I am sure it seemed very real that my shower was hotter in that 90 degree heat and 99% humidity we were having!  Easy to come to that conclusion from the manual.  So I feel like the Alde learning curve will never end.  Now for a shower😜
    Once the water tank is filled with water am I  to assume the boiler has water in it and I need to wait 20 to 30 minutes to get hot water.
    @AJLilchick, please read the Alde manual.   But in the meantime, there are 2 ways to fill your Alde water tank - using a hose vs using water from your fresh water tank.

1.  Hook your water hose up to the City Water Connection, open your taps and flush the toilet to get out all the air from your plumbing.  (Watch so you don’t overflow your gray tank if you let it run too long.). The action of opening your hot water calls water into the Alde tank.  Let your hot water run until there is no longer any air coming out and the flow comes out steady.  Your Alde water tank should be full at that point.  Caution, do not be tempted to run your water pump with the city water connection in use.  The water via hose is already pressurizing the plumbing system and you can damage your pump.  

2.  To fill your Alde water tank when you do not have a city water connection, fill your Fresh Water Tank using the fill port on the driver’s side.  After it is filled, turn on the pump.  The pump will pressurize and you will hear it run then settle down.  When you next open a tap, flush or shower, your pump will run to provide water.  Next get the air out by opening taps and flushing the toilet.  
    And, again, opening the hot water will call water into the Alde water tank as above.  This is a far less efficient way to de-air and fill your Alde tank, so when you can, use #1.
  • shawnevansagencyshawnevansagency Member Posts: 29
    If I turn on my hot water side and water runs freely, what steps can I take to get the water heater working.    I have never used the water heater before.    

i have  the old 3010 display and it is dialed in correctly.   
    See reply on New to Alde thread.