Options

Food Storage for full-timers

LindaBLindaB Member Posts: 3
Hi! I am a newb and am preparing to live full-time in my 320 s Outback. What does everyone do for food storage? I am using Tupperware but am considering switching to ziploc bags to save space. TIA

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    We prefer zip lock bags. Hard plastic containers waste to much space in the fridge.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    X2 ziplock 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited August 2018
    @LindaB, my husband, me and our 2 boys aged 10 &11 at the time did 6 weeks, 21 or 25 states(can't remember) and 10,000 miles in our t@b 2 years ago. That's as close to full timing it as you can get without permanently doing it. The ziplock bags are great. They change shape to fit in nooks and crannies. I  use the freezer type because of the added strength. I double bag liquids like spaghetti sauce, soups or stews when I prepared food in bulk cooking sessions, which helped us spend more time in national parks and sightseeing. Good luck with whatever you decide, but you can count this as a X 3 vote.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Boy. great idea.  That saves a lot of cooking time.  I need to tell my DH who is the cook in the family.  Well, I say Chef - helps to stroke that from time to time:)
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    A hack for Ziplocks that @Verna shared a while back is to ditch the box and store the bags in a bag to save space. I use Ziplocks and the small Stanley camping Tupperware containers.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    LindaBLindaB Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm switching out today.  ;)
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Not for full timing but what we do is cook before we go camping or traveling and use our food saver. I love that thing. I often portion soup by freezing in a serving size square Tupperware, then popping it out and Food Savering it. The bags can be washed if you are concerned about spending or waste. I do sometimes unless it’s raw meat.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.