Options

Inverter - Where to install?

I'm getting ready to install my inverter. Logic says to keep the main wire run (battery to inverter) as short as possible and put it as close to the battery as possible but the front box gets rather hot and then there's the whole proximity to the propane bottle thing. For those that have installed an inverter, did you mount it next to the battery, or in the electrical compartment or......? Maybe some pics?
2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Hi Chris, it may be helpful to update your signature line with the model of your Tab so the members can give advice specific to your model.  Also, try the search box.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JonWJonW Member Posts: 37
    I'm in the process of installing solar panels on the roof and plan on putting the solar controller and an inverter in the tongue box close to the battery. 

Plans are to construct a frame from aluminum bar attached to the black metal frame that positions and holds the propane tank and battery.  It will sit just in front of the diamond plate on the front of the T@B and above the battery.

I'll be vertically attaching a plastic cutting board to it, and the solar controller will be attached with screws to the cutting board.  I'm hoping there is room for the inverter to do the same.

I'm also going to attach some foam insulation (from a yoga mat) and heat reflective material to the inside of the hinged top and the curved front panel of the tongue box, in an attempt to keep the inside of the tongue box from getting so hot when sitting in the sun.

I'll shoot some pictures of all this when I start the work after returning from vacation in a couple of weeks...
    JonW - 2018 T@B 320U
    Marlborough, Mass
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    edited August 2018
    Hi Chris, it may be helpful to update your signature line with the model of your Tab so the members can give advice specific to your model.  Also, try the search box.
    This request is rather generic so model of T@b does not matter. 

Yes, I know about the search function and use it a lot. I have also done a Google search and search Youtube. Sometimes, you just don't find the info you are looking for so you have to ask. I don't post here very often but I've been here for quite some time.
  • Options
    JonW said:
    I'm also going to attach some foam insulation (from a yoga mat) and heat reflective material to the inside of the hinged top and the curved front panel of the tongue box, in an attempt to keep the inside of the tongue box from getting so hot when sitting in the sun.
    I've thought about doing that also. Currently, I have a temp sensor in the tub to monitor temp levels. 

I wonder what the max temp an inverter should live in. My instructions don't really give that.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Since you’ve already tried the search, I wonder if you saw this, found when I searched on inverter location. https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/92082#Comment_92082

John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Yup, saw that thread and the ones linked in it. Lots of great info about inverters but only three actually mentioning where they were installed. 
  • Options
    BTW - I did finally find in the manual that my inverter recommends up to 45C (113F). Very borderline with my front tub.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It actually matters if your T@b is a 320 or 400. The install location advice would be different.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I felt very uncomfortable putting an electrical device in the tub with a propane tank. So to be safe, I put it in a metal box in front of the tub. If small enough, can you put it in the space below the Norcold? You will be drilling a new hole for wires regardless, so might as well put it in the cabin. That is, if it's quite enough (mine isn't).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've ruled out the tub. Just too hot. I have a short nose trailer so no room in front of it like you did. 
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    It actually matters if your T@b is a 320 or 400. The install location advice would be different.
    Nah. I like seeing what others have done regardless of model. Plus, it might help someone else.
  • Options
    Right now, I'm considering the regular electrical compartment and the passenger side rear underseat area. I'm considering the latter because I'm going to install an outside electrical outlet back there too. I'll wire it in with a plug so I can either plug it in to the regular electrical system or the inverter if I want power outside while at no hookup campgrounds or boondocking.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2018
    ChrisK said:
    Right now, I'm considering the regular electrical compartment and the passenger side rear underseat area. I'm considering the latter because I'm going to install an outside electrical outlet back there too. I'll wire it in with a plug so I can either plug it in to the regular electrical system or the inverter if I want power outside while at no hookup campgrounds or boondocking.
    I've got a 2005 Forest River travel trailer sitting on a lot out in AZ and we installed a 2000 W inverter charger and a solar controller in a kitchen cabinet and the 4-6 volt batteries are sitting beneath the trailer below ground (for cooling in the desert heat) in a waterproof box.  I have two 235 W monocrystalline panels sitting out on a rack too.

The underseat area should work for you as long as you use heavy cable and factor in voltage drop. etc.  And of course it also depends on the load or what you'll be running off the inverter.  Tabaz uses his to run a small microwave oven for food prep and has done well.  We do the same and my wife uses her sewing machine, we use a crock pot, TV, trailer lighting, ceiling fans, coffee pot, etc.  The batteries are fully charged by 10:30-11 AM every day and we are even able to run a small, portable swamp cooler inside the trailer as well.  Obviously you watch things, evaluate your energy needs and function accordingly.  

I also installed a Victron battery monitor too to monitor the system and available power.  Very good investment and beneficial!  I had to chuckle as I never dreamed we'd be using a crock pot for cooking in the desert!   :o=)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Michigan_Mike, So...at first you just thought it was a crock! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ericnliz said:
    @Michigan_Mike, So...at first you just thought it was a crock! :rofl:
    Exactly!   :o
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @ChrisK : We put the inverter (& batteries)  in passenger rear storage area too.  We wanted a large battery bank, didn't like the idea of adding 250# to the tongue, so just went with three large Vmax batteries and a 3000/6000W inverter in back.  Kind of a oddball dual system where the front battery is just used to run a few things on the road, and the rear bank runs everything when parked.  But yup if only keeping the batteries up front and inverter and accessories in back, WindyNation and others sell heavy 1/0, 2/0, 4/0 wire to make that battery to inverter long connection... depending how many crock pots or air conditioners one needs to run.  A larger inverter does put out considerable heat though... 

WindyNation 2/0 Gauge AWG (15 Feet Black + 15 Feet Red):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9OECDC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JofCBbKTR4HBZ
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I'm using 4awg cable to hook it up. I've pretty much decided on the passenger side rear compartment. Fits so nicely in there. The inverter is only 1000w and I'll probably only use it for charging the computer, my bike, and various RC toys. Theoretically, it will run the Instantpot but that would be pushing it and We'll just use the stove when off power.

@DougH I was actually thinking of adding another 55ah battery to the camper and putting it back by the inverter. Problem with that is that I'd have one battery in the heat and one in the cool interior. One would not charge well. The Victron controller says the batteries should be near the same ambient temp as the controller. The extra AGM battery I was looking at was pretty small so I may just get 2 of them and put them both back there and ditch the battery in the tongue box. I could probably use a little weight loss in that area. I actually 3D printed a lightweight copy of the smaller battery to see where it would fit and there are lots of possibilities.

My overall plan is to stick with the system I have now and, in a year or so, upgrade the batteries to a much higher AH and get a bigger inverter. One that can run my Keurig or whatever else. Baby steps for now.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @ChrisK : The main issue is usually if a partner is hesitant to give up rear storage space. But once you explain that the morning Keurig depends on more battery or inverter, all objections disappear.  :)  
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max