Options

Installing a Lagun...

ELKELK Member Posts: 213
edited August 2018 in Products and Accessories
I'm just about ready to install the Lagun...I decided to put it inside so I will have some flat space. I want to install it on the driver's side bench and have been reading the 2x4 warnings for stability.   Mine (I bought it at least a year ago) came with different directions and attaches with bolts instead of screws. It came with 2 plastic angled shims and also has a large plywood plate that goes on the back side of the bench. DO you think that'll work as far as stability goes?
s?
2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have support on both the inside and outside of the bench. The exterior support also creates a nice space, giving you more room to manipulate the table.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Should be just fine as long as there's no on one dancing on it!   =)  The surface area with the added wood panel should suffice.  There are others who have done exactly the install you are planning.  Just be careful with the wiring and converter and everything should work out as planned.  Took me about a 1/2 hour to drill through my side wall after rechecking, rechecking, measuring multiple times before installing a mount outside the passenger side wall.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Mine is on the driver side and I love the location. Easy to move completely out if the way while set up.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    thanks, friends!
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Your base will look like this.  As seen it is sufficiently sturdy.  Outside shim of 3/4 plywood gets Lagun pillar out past bed rail.  Inside shim adds strength, and if using 3/4 inch plywood adds enough strength for solid bolting.  The inside shim does not have to be all one piece so you don't have to remove existing factory bracing. 

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    thanks!

• Options
    edited August 2018
    To fit the back support inside the "box" I have to make it smaller....the width of the space is only 5" between utilities...The plate itself is 3.5"....Hope that will be enough.  3/4" plywood?
  • Options
    On mine two bolts on right side of 3.5" plate (as you look at it) go through the vertical 1x4 inch reinforcement inside box that is part of factory framing.
    Two bolts on left go through a block I added (3/4 plywood ok). 
    Make your added block as tall and wide as you can, and add some construction adhesive where added block meets up with any existing factory structure pieces. 
    If kit comes with big wood screws (as I recall it did)  I'd switch to bolts with oval heads that sit down into plate, using washers and nuts inside box.  Should be available at Ace or Home Depot type stores.   You wind up with more holding power with bolt/washer/nut combination, though this requires finding appropriate type/length of bolts, etc.  
    Good luck. 

• Options
    Vikings said:
    On mine two bolts on right side of 3.5" plate (as you look at it) go through the vertical 1x4 inch reinforcement inside box that is part of factory framing.
    Two bolts on left go through a block I added (3/4 plywood ok). 
    Make your added block as tall and wide as you can, and add some construction adhesive where added block meets up with any existing factory structure pieces. 
    If kit comes with big wood screws (as I recall it did)  I'd switch to bolts with oval heads that sit down into plate, using washers and nuts inside box.  Should be available at Ace or Home Depot type stores.   You wind up with more holding power with bolt/washer/nut combination, though this requires finding appropriate type/length of bolts, etc.  
    Good luck. 

Thanks. There is only the side of the bench where I'm mounting the plate because I'm putting it on the Driver's side ... no 1x4....but it did come with 8mm bolts and washers...
    I'm using all the pieces that came with the Lagun and no more.  Looks like we might have different models. I have a Max s and my back bench is where where you put the plate....

• Options
    Just spent way more time than I want to admit trying to do this!  I got the back plate and the mount on...but when I try to put the spacers on...they just don't line up; I drilled multiple times...but I guess not well...the bolt wanted to go in crooked....so I still need a spacer on the front of the bench.....SO much to learn about power tools.... I think I need one size bigger drill bit for the spacers....

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Edison: I haven’t failed, I’ve just found 10,000 ways it won’t work! 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    I wish the factory had drilled holes in the spacers..... sigh....

• Options
    Bigger bit/holes in spacers should not significantly reduce strength or hurt anything. 

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We just installed a Lagun bracket on the outside of our trailer. The first thing I did was position the bracket on the spacer and used a pencil to trace the bracket holes on the spacer. Then I used a nail set to make an indent in the exact center of each circle to keep the drill bit from walking. Then I drilled the holes in the spacer using the same size bit as the supplied screws and verified everything lined up. 

I found it it helpful to use painters tape to securely mount the bracket and spacer in position then drilled pilot holes through the bracket, spacer, and trailer wall into the wood 2x4 bench supports. I hope this process will help you. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Very clearly explained!  I finally got it done. The problem was the plastic spacers...they stubbornly refused to let go of the drill to make a straight hole. I bought a bigger bit and it worked out fine. If I ever go outside the trailer...I will use yourinstruction! thanks!

• Options
    PixandMsBeePixandMsBee Member Posts: 34
    I am mounting mine on the side of the bench support on the passenger side facing forward.

I am not sure about the two plastic beveled spacers. I bought the kit used and there are not any instructions. Can anyone enlighten me as to how to use them?

Thanks! 

2022 T@B 320-S Boondock Edition

2022 Outback Limited XT

SOK 100ah LiFeP04 Battery

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited July 2022
    @PixandMsBee The plastic pieces are shims meant to change the angle of the table mount if needed to compensate for a mounting surface that is off vertical level. Others have paired them together to form a spacer piece between the table mount and cabinet when needed. In your case, with a 2022 and the dinette end mounting location, they likely are not needed. (This is likely what ELK did. Older models have trim pieces on the sides of the dinette that can interfere with the table mount, and often need a spacer to offset the mount enough for use; mine required a thicker spacer than the plastic provided, and I ended up cutting wood to fit instead.)
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The shims are meant to be used when mounting the bracket to the side of a sailboat cockpit, which on newer fiberglass boats are slanted at an angle.  The shims are meant to backup the backside of the fiberglass cockpit side and correct the angle.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.