Antifreeze and water tank

Is there any reason why I should not leave some antifreeze in the water tank over the winter? I am using the antifreeze method, not the blow out method. (I think it was on Vernas that I saw "the last tap leave it open until the pump is drawing air from the fresh water tank, then close it and turn off your pump.)  I don't know why this would be necessary. Leaving some antifreeze in the tank should be okay. I do understand the process of flushing when de-winterizing, so the only reason I can think of is that it makes it a little easier when you do that process in the spring.

SueBC
British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I'm thinking that I drain the lines, put 3 gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Then turn on each faucet one at a time until I see antifreeze coming out. I'm sure that there is a lot of antifreeze left in the tank. Everything was fine after I sanitized and flushed in the spring. I'll read up again before I do it this fall. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    kybob said:
    I'm thinking that I drain the lines, put 3 gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Then turn on each faucet one at a time until I see antifreeze coming out. I'm sure that there is a lot of antifreeze left in the tank. Everything was fine after I sanitized and flushed in the spring. I'll read up again before I do it this fall. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Exactly what I have done.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I think that there is no harm if antifreeze remains in your tank, but, expect a long, spring flush.  Don’t forget to flush your toilet, let some drain down to the gray and black tank valves and open and close the valve gates to get it on both sides.  Also, open your fresh water drain valve to let a little out through that plumbing and valve.  How do you manage your Alde?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2018
    Also, open your fresh water drain valve to let a little out through that plumbing and valve.  How do you manage your Alde?
    Yeah - thought of doing the water drain valve (haven't done yet but will). With the Alde, I went with 'Winterizing your T@B, 2016 + on this site regarding the valves, what to turn on and off, as per photo after water drained.

SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
    @SueBC, before you set those Alde bypass valves to prevent antifreeze in the Alde, just make sure you drain and measure the output of the Alde hot water tank to confirm that you got out close to 2.5 gallons.  The Alde rep was at uCamp last month and the issue of using antifreeze in the Alde was discussed.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Sharon_is_SAM, Could/would you share what was discussed please?  :|
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @ericnliz it was included in the Q&A video. Spencer from Alde has the first 30 minutes or so. If I remember correctly, he didn't think there was a problem with antifreeze in the Alde, but you wouldn't want to run the heater...if this is incorrect, please let me know...
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dsfdogs, The reason I asked is that I (OOPS!) inadvertently ran antifreeze through the Alde hot water tank when I accidentally hit the pump button prior to switching valves when I first had to winterize my trailer a couple years ago. I ran countless gallons of water through it & then decided that wasn't enough, so made the same mistake with a bleach mixture while sanitizing my fresh water tank!  :o:s I can at this point rest assure you that the Alde tank is one clean machine! Took a LOT of rinsing before I couldn't smell bleach any more! :whistle:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited August 2018
    dsfdogs said:
    @ericnliz it was included in the Q&A video. Spencer from Alde has the first 30 minutes or so. If I remember correctly, he didn't think there was a problem with antifreeze in the Alde, but you wouldn't want to run the heater...if this is incorrect, please let me know...
    Yeah, this sounds right. I think the concern was if you do run the heat make sure the antifreeze is able to withstand the high temps (which can top 150F!)
    Spencer's part of the video is worth watching--there were a nuggets of info in there that were new to me!
    2015 T@B S
  • GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    I winterize with an air compressor. But, I still put a gallon of rv antifreeze down into the fresh water tank. The 1st winter we had our T@B the "L" fitting that the drain connects to froze and split despite having the drain open. I sterilize and flush the tank in the spring. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
    edited February 2021
    @ericnliz, I had to go dig out my notes.  This info is from Spencer of Alde USA at uCamp:

1.  Recommend using Century Glycol (food grade)
    2.  Glycol exchange:  the pump used to drain the glycol is called a filler-bleeder and you can rent it from Alde.
    3.  The required pH of the glycol is 9.5 - 10.5
    4.  The Alde 3020 model with the included high altitude compensation started to be installed with the late 2017 Tabs.
    5.  You do NOT need to add antifreeze to the Alde water tank, although you must drain it of water.  Even if a little water is left, it will not freeze and expand to the point of damage.   I believe some Tab owners were told by their Dealers to add antifreeze.  As ScottG noted, Spencer discussed that the issue with adding the antifreeze to the hot water tank, was surrounding use of the Alde for cabin heat.  Using the Alde to heat the cabin via the circulating glycol, will also heat the contents of the Alde water tank, and the antifreeze may heat beyond it’s recommended heat limit.  I don’t recall what happens to that overheated antifreeze, just the bottom line - avoid it in the Alde or do your antifreeze homework!

@GibW, same advice that I gave to SueBC - make sure to open the fresh water tank drain valve and run the antifreeze through.

@ericnliz, the funny thing about the entire antifreeze in the Alde debate is that it will not hurt the Alde as long as you don’t use the Alde.  But, what has potential to negatively impact the stainless steel in the Alde hot water tank is BLEACH!  Still, I read an article about the effects of bleach on stainless steel and I believe real damage only occurs with a more concentrated solution at a prolonged exposure.  I have learned to leave well enough alone - no antifreeze except in the traps/tank gates/ toilet and bypass the Alde in the spring when sanitizing the fresh water tank and plumbing.

I can’t believe we are talking about winterizing already.  It is August and my outside thermometer read 92 F today!  
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    Yes, truly guys, buzz (camping) kill!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    Yes, truly guys, buzz (camping) kill!

Sorry - I live on the west coast of Canada (BC) and as it is my first winter with the trailer, wanted to get my info correct - just get out the 'zapper' if you hear the buzz!
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • VeronicaVeronica Member Posts: 12
    @Sharon_is_SAM -Thank You for your notes on the video!  

Our Alde expansion tank had a crack in it.  We don't have a close t@b dealer that knows anything about servicing the t@b or the Alde.  We took the tab to the nearest Camping World.  The found the cracked tank and replaced it.  They mentioned that we would need to flush the alde.  We have had our tab for 2yrs, and Spencer mentioned changing the alde antifreeze every 2 years.  Does anyone know if we need the filler-bleeder to remove the old antifreeze or can we just put new antifreeze in it?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    First T@b trip August 15-Sept??, 2016.
    Nights in T@b: 23 (so far)
    States visited (including driving through): SC, NC, TN, KY, OH, IN, IL, WI, MN, ND, MT, AB (Alberta, Canada), MT, WY, SD and counting. 

@Veronica, see the link below regarding a discussion on a glycol exchange.  It should help.  We have not undertaken this task yet, but, I think it is not difficult, just tedious.  Good luck.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2360/anyone-attempted-a-glycol-exchange-on-alde/p1