Options

Can 6 volt batteries be troublesome ?

We are super excited to receive our 2019 Clamshell by the end of the month. We ordered it with the solar package and also the boondock (diamond plate) front tub. We have been researching batteries and have some questions I hope some one can help with. We will mostly be boon docking. The dealer said they typically install a 12 volt group 24 battery. I would like to upgrade to (2) 6 volts for the larger amp hours. The dealer warned us that if one of the 6 volts goes down you will have no power, hmm, I guess that is obvious.

Question #1- Are 6 volt batteries notorious for problems? Not really sure why the dealer would want to warn us of that?

Question #2- The dealer said (2) 6 volts would not fit without modification, but they could do the modification, does anyone have a picture of (2) 6 volt batteries mounted in their front tub, with propane tank?

Question#3- Are battery boxes required? does the battery have to be inside a box?

I am really hoping to go with (2) 6 volt Trojans, just hoping modifications don't cost 2 much.
Please share your thoughts and any pictures you may have. 
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It sounds like they just do not want to do the work. I am sure it happens, but I have never heard of anyone losing one if their 6 volt batteries. As a matter of fact nüCamp now installs them in the 400.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Ditto what Jenn said.  I’ve used 6v batteries in my last 2 tabs and never an issue.  FYI 2 12v batteries in parallel will die if either one goes bad too, false logic from the dealer on that one.  
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Do a search on 6 volt batteries.  Multiple people have 2 in the front tub.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I have two 6v batteries in my Outback tub.  They both fit, along with the propane tank - but my tub was installed slightly forward and not tight against the trailer wall.  If you find that two do not fit you can simply move the tub forward on the tongue a bit.  I do not have mine in a battery box, and a box really isn't necessary.  They can pick up road dust and rain, though, since the back of the tub is completely open.

It is possible that you could have one of the 6v batteries go bad, which would render the system useless until you replaced it.  Yes, this can happen with two 12v batteries in parallel, but you can simply disconnect the bad battery and connect only the good one.  You still get at least one battery this way.

Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @miked, if you need large capacity, two 6 volts batteries advantages far outweigh the potential for problems.  Your other option for capacity besides 2 batteries is one large one.  They can be very expensive and very, very heavy.  And they can fail, too.  Two 6 volts is a safe, economical way to increase your battery capacity.  You may need/want someone else to do the install.  Just sayin’.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @miked, I have not heard much about a single 6 volt battery going bad in a two battery system, but it is true that you will then be unable to tap into 12 volt battery power. However if you have a single 12 volt battery (the standard RV set-up) and it fails, you no longer have access to 12 volt battery power either. False logic as @Normfun said. I'm also in agreement with @jkjenn. If a battery fails, you can find a location to plug your trailer in and the converter will power your 12v systems. If additional off grid time is desired, the dual 6 volt battery set-up is a less costly and technologically easier set-up to accomplish. Good luck with whatever option you choose.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    The better case might be to go camp and see how the stock battery and solar works for you. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    mikedmiked Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all your comments! It's great to have a group of people to help you make decisions based on real facts!! Thanks ColoradoJon for the picture!!

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I prefer to use two 12 volt batteries in parallel. Like what is used on larger boats. Not quite as much capacity as two 6 volts. It allows me the option of using one battery at a time or both together. For example if I forget to turn off some device and I deplete one battery I still have one in reserve. When switched to both batteries they both charge at the same time. I was also able to use the battery that came with the trailer and just add one saving me money.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    seitzmikeseitzmike Member Posts: 25
    Two 6V golf cart batteries are the way we decided to go.  You have to have space in your box or have one custom made, as we did.  Rarely hear of any problems with golf carts.
    2016 T@B CS-S   2016 KIA Sorento   Vancouver, WA
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    We have two Lifeline AGM 6V batteries in our regular trailer which replaced the usual Group 27’s. The benefit of AGM is that it takes a charge faster and can charge at higher voltage.  Plus it’s sealed so there is no off gassing or fluid checking as with flooded types.  The thicker internal metal plates in 6V are designed for slow, long term discharge as you see with golf carts and RV’s.  They are all around better electrically than the standard marine 12v for this use.  

Dont sweat sweat the idea of losing a battery. It is a rare event and worst case, you boondock.  Reliability is higher than with Group 27.  
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    We sold our vintage DM T@B some years back, and replaced it with a small Sprinter-based RV. Our RT SS Agile was set up from the factory for boondocking, with three 100W solar panels on the roof. What did they use for coach batteries? TWO pair of 6-volt deep cycle batteries. As long as we don't need AC, we never have to "plug in."

I had replaced the single 12V battery in our T@B with an Optima 12V, and that was a huge improvement... but if we still had the T@B and I had it to do over, I'd have gone with a pair of 6V golf cart batteries, knowing what I do now. (Just don't forget to install a cut-off switch, if you don't already have one, to completely eliminate parasitic drain when sitting idle.)    My 2 cents. :)