Options

Solar Panel & Controller Choices?

1bentbike1bentbike Member Posts: 10
We have 2 series 24-12volt batteries wired in parallel. What solar panels and controllers are people using. Would like to add an inverter to supply all AC plugs in the trailer which would require a smart converter charger and a transfer switch. any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    There are a lot of decent panels on the market, today. I recently bought 4 Renogy Mini-Eclipse 50w panels and am using a Victron SmartSolar 100/15 solar controller. Early tests are promising.  I also use a Victron battery monitor. Bother the monitor and controller are bluetooth enabled and have a good app for monitoring your battery and solar .

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    +1 on the Victron controllers. After a lot of research we used a SmartSolar 75/15 and an older (non-Eclipse) style 100 W Renogy suitcase folding panel. The SmartSolar Victron controllers have built-in bluetooth while the BlueSolar line is bluetooth capable, but require a separate plugin bluetooth transmitter.
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I just got the same controller, @rajamar, and awaiting delivery of a 100W Renogy Eclipse.  Trying to figure out whether the load terminals are optional, but having trouble reading the microscopic print in the tiny manual. 😳  

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @BrianZ, the load terminals are typically optional on charge controllers.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    BrianZ said:
    I just got the same controller, @rajamar, and awaiting delivery of a 100W Renogy Eclipse.  Trying to figure out whether the load terminals are optional, but having trouble reading the microscopic print in the tiny manual. 😳  

For easier reading you can get the manual .pdf here:
    https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/smartsolar-mppt-75-10-75-15-100-15-100-20#manuals

While there you should also grab the "Which solar charge controller: PWM or MPPT?" white paper - excellent technical info.

Regarding the load terminals: I couldn't figure that out either, so I set up all my SAE-connector pigtails to use the load terminals in the circuit if I wanted to.

I had some trouble getting the Android bluetooth app connected and called Alan at baymarinesupply.com . Bay Marine Supply is an authorized Victron dealer and Alan fields technical support questions. He's extremely knowledgeable and helpful. After getting the bluetooth issue squared away I asked about the load terminals and how to use them in our application. Basically he said don't bother - they're intended for remote locations where there are multiple battery banks and load switching devices. The SmartSolar controllers monitor battery voltage and have programmable low voltage disconnect and reconnect thresholds - default disconnect at 11.1V, reconnect at 13.1V.

That being said I had already wired mine so we have the option to use them, but I haven't used them yet.

They can shut off the load to protect the battery, but there are limitations to what can be on the load side - no inverters. 

I have not written up my solar project yet, but here is the way I wired it up: 

NOTE: just noticed by both the red and green asterisks I forgot to specify that 5 has to be connected to 6 for the electrons to get in from the panel.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks you all for the great responses - very helpful!  Now I have plenty to keep me moving forward.  I'll probably skip the load connections, certainly for now anyway, until I get up & running.  I have quite a library of PDFs now!
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @rajamar, curious why you put your battery cut off switch on the negative lead off your battery?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Another tip on the Victron solar Bluetooth setup is that the default pin is 00 00 00.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited September 2018
    @rajamar, curious why you put your battery cut off switch on the negative lead off your battery?
    Mostly based on this thread: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/745/battery-disconnect-switch

and this video:

https://youtu.be/NPI3f3edL9U

I also did some Googling and found that the question is discussed/debated on several RV and automotive forums. The general consensus is that while it will work on either terminal, many disconnect at the positive side because that is the way RV manufacturers do it.

See:
    https://www.heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/22139-Battery-Disconnect-Switch-Positive-or-Negative 
    and:
    http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20705627/print/true.cfm