Options

What I finally did about bicycles.

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
Back when we tent camped we’d put the camping gear in the minivan, and towed a small rack and roll trailer with our kayaks and bicycles. That won’t work if we’re towing the T@B, so we’ve been struggling to find a way to take our recreational gear with us. We have racks on the SUV for the kayaks now and there’s no room for bikes up there.

We already have a trunk mount bike rack that I sometimes used with my Sienna minivan but it won’t work with the Highlander, which has a flimsy plastic rear spoiler so there is no way to connect the top straps. There is a brand of rack (Hollywood) that has a rack that is designed to hook to the roof rack without touching the plastic spoiler. But based on our measurements it would extend so far from the back of the SUV that we wouldn’t be able to make turns without the bikes touching the jack post and tongue mounted spare tire.

When we were at uCamp we looked at all the bike racks that everyone had on their trailers, but there are downsides to all of them. They increase tongue weight, they’re expensive, and you have to lift the bikes pretty high to get them on the rack. And they’re on the trailer, so you still need some way to transport your bikes to a bike path. So things like the Jack It, Up n Front, Swagman won’t work for us.

I ordered a Curt D210 ball mount / receiver which in theory would allow me to hitch up the T@B and use our hitch mounted bike rack simultaneously. The T@B tongue must be at exactly the correct height to hitch up, and there is just not room for the bikes between the back of the SUV and the T@B’s jack post.

I finally ordered a pair of folding bikes. We can haul those in the SUV when we’re towing, or if we want to take them to a bike path somewhere. After exhausting all the other options, we think thos is the only one that will work.
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Please know that when you add an extender of any kind, you cut your hitch receiver towing capacity by 50%. Your Highlander can probably handle the decrease in weight.

If you find you have a lot of play in your bike hitch, you can get a hitch tightener. I have one on my sway bar/wd hitch cuz I hate the rattle.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    The Curt D210 doesn’t cut towing capacity because it is basically a hitch ball with a 2” receiver welded to it. It’s not an extender. It’s a great idea, too bad it doesn’t work. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited September 2018
    @Photomom, we did the same thing, only we put them in the minivan.  Nice bikes - Eurominis.  We also don’t need to worry too much about them getting stolen stored in our minivan.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Photomom said:
    Back when we tent camped we’d put the camping gear in the minivan, and towed a small rack and roll trailer with our kayaks and bicycles. That won’t work if we’re towing the T@B, so we’ve been struggling to find a way to take our recreational gear with us. We have racks on the SUV for the kayaks now and there’s no room for bikes up there.

We already have a trunk mount bike rack that I sometimes used with my Sienna minivan but it won’t work with the Highlander, which has a flimsy plastic rear spoiler so there is no way to connect the top straps. There is a brand of rack (Hollywood) that has a rack that is designed to hook to the roof rack without touching the plastic spoiler. But based on our measurements it would extend so far from the back of the SUV that we wouldn’t be able to make turns without the bikes touching the jack post and tongue mounted spare tire.

When we were at uCamp we looked at all the bike racks that everyone had on their trailers, but there are downsides to all of them. They increase tongue weight, they’re expensive, and you have to lift the bikes pretty high to get them on the rack. And they’re on the trailer, so you still need some way to transport your bikes to a bike path. So things like the Jack It, Up n Front, Swagman won’t work for us.

I ordered a Curt D210 ball mount / receiver which in theory would allow me to hitch up the T@B and use our hitch mounted bike rack simultaneously. The T@B tongue must be at exactly the correct height to hitch up, and there is just not room for the bikes between the back of the SUV and the T@B’s jack post.

I finally ordered a pair of folding bikes. We can haul those in the SUV when we’re towing, or if we want to take them to a bike path somewhere. After exhausting all the other options, we think thos is the only one that will work.
    It sounds like you did a good job researching and considering all the options, and choosing the one that works best for you. 

You might have been able to fit a pair of kayaks and a pair of bikes on the roof with some nice wide cross bars.  I often see canoes loaded two wide on vans and SUVs. 

In any case, congratulations for solving the problem.  Now you can go play, in whatever way you desire!
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    rkj__ said:

You might have been able to fit a pair of kayaks and a pair of bikes on the roof with some nice wide cross bars.  I often see canoes loaded two wide on vans and SUVs. 

Another factor you have to consider is how much weight you can put on your vehicle roof. With two kayaks, two Thule crossbars and mounts, and two Hullavators (we are old and wimpy) we are right at the roof capacity for our Highlander. 
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Glad you found what's best for you. After a couple years of different bike racks (none worked well for me) I too went with a folding bike. 

2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Photomom said:
    rkj__ said:

Another factor you have to consider is how much weight you can put on your vehicle roof. With two kayaks, two Thule crossbars and mounts, and two Hullavators (we are old and wimpy) we are right at the roof capacity for our Highlander. 
    Wow, I would not have guessed the weight capacity of the roof rack to be a limiting factor, but I'm not shocked either. 

I was looking at the Thule Xsporter pickup truck rack the other day, (my boss uses one for his canoe) and it's capacity was 450 lb.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    All vehicles (at least the ones that come with roof racks) will have a roof weight limit in the owner's manual. There are a couple of things at play. One is obviously the strength of the roof and the attachment of the factory rack. Less obvious is the fact that putting weight on the roof raises the vehicle's center of gravity. Remember that early SUV that had rollover problems? I believe the weight limits are in response to that, both from a safety perspective and from a liability perspective.
  • Options
    You'll need to add up the weights of everything including the boats, whatever holds your boats, and anything you need to attach it to your vehicle like Thule bars, foot packs, etc. Fortunately our kayaks are lightweight (Canadian, BTW :-) ) so we can get two of them and two Hullavators up there, barely.

Thule racks are overengineered, the weak point is probably your vehicle!
  • Options
    JustJohn said:
    Glad you found what's best for you. After a couple years of different bike racks (none worked well for me) I too went with a folding bike. 

It really is the obvious solution, I just didn't really want to buy two MORE bicycles to add to the stuff in the garage!
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

✔ folding bike
    ✔ inflatable kayak
    ✔ stow in T@B or TV
    ✔ happy camper/cyclist/paddler
    ✔ dwindling bank account

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options

✔ folding bike
    ✔ inflatable kayak
    ✔ stow in T@B or TV
    ✔ happy camper/cyclist/paddler
    ✔ dwindling bank account

I keep telling my husband that my goal is to not die with money in the bank...