Wet cushions?

Cushions are wet under drivers side window while ac is off on a 2016 T@b. Is it normal for the a.c. exhaust to leak during rain? Also lots of condensation dripped from passenger side window with a.c. on! Just purchased this T@b...wishing I had bought another Casita.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    When you run your A/C, it is important to tip the tongue down slightly.  That allows the condensation to flow from the drip pan into the hose that drains in front of the driver side tire.  If you don't go tongue down, the water accumulates in the drip pan and then sloshes toward the rear of the trailer under tow, soaking the cushions.  You won't be the first one to experience this!  Are you running the A/C accessory fan (switch on the wall to the right of the A/C)?  That will help keep the A/C fins cool and allow the A/C to work more efficiently.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    Something you may want to check is to see if it is leaking under the white plastic tray directly under the AC unit.  Check along the edges where it meets up with the wood paneling.  As mention by @Sharon_is_SAM make sure you a bit nose on the tongue for it to drain.  If it still leaks after this check for signs of small cracks along that plastic tray.  My brand new unit came with a hairline crack that caused this very same issue.  When running the AC the cushion directly under it would be wet.  Sure enough it was cracked.  I super glued it and took the AC unit out and used OSI Quad shield caulk to create a barrier inside and that fixed it.  See attached picture.  It was a fairly simple fix.

• jetboatnjetboatn Member Posts: 4
    I have tried the fan but can't tell if it's running. Will it run with the air off? If so, I can't hear it run.  
    jetboatn said:
    I have tried the fan but can't tell if it's running. Will it run with the air off? If so, I can't hear it run.  
    Yes it will run with the AC unit off.  There is a separate switch by the shower side wall that turns it on.  It is a very quite, small 12V fan.
  • RWSmithRWSmith Member Posts: 12
    jetboatn said:
    dhauf said:
    jetboatn said:
    Yes it will run with the AC unit off.  There is a separate switch by the shower side wall that turns it on.  It is a very quite, small 12V fan.
    My exhaust fan is very quiet when running, but not so quiet that I can't hear it (when the A/C unit is OFF).

If you can't hear yours running, then I would suspect that it's not working. I would start checking fuses. (Don't know which one though. I AM STILL A NEWB TO THIS RODEO.)
    2018 nuCamp T@B 320 S (Boondock), a.k.a. "Red R@bbit" • 2016 Jeep Cherokee "Trail Hawk" (w/ Towing pkg) • Mount Holly, NC
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @RWSmith, That comment about bein' new to the rodeo cracked me up! :rofl: It's not a REAL rodeo until 'ya git bucked off a time r two! @jetboatn , I do agree you should be able to hear the fan running, as I know I can hear mine even with the A/C running. I'd do a little investigating to find where the leak is actually coming from as it could be a couple different things that have been discussed above. I've never personally had a leak, but know others that have, & it's worth checking in to just for the piece of mind. Good luck & let us know what you find, as it might help someone else as well. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We had a little leak during rain on our drivers side window.  The seam on the rubber gasket was installed at the top of the window, and a little bit of water was making it past the seam and running down the window onto the cushion.  A litte dab of silicone stopped the leak.  I'll never understand why the put the seam at the top and not the bottom.  A leak at the bottom would run down the outside of the camper.  I'd check that first.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @jetboatn, check your fuse box.  In previous models, the A/C accessory fan, Alde and Alde outlet were all on the same fuse.  Is your Alde working?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Pulled a.c. out. The drain hole had a piece of foil in it. Looks like the foil came from the air flow diverter on the back of the a.c.! Also, The wire connector on the exhaust fan was loose. Cleaned and reinstalled everything...we will see!
    Thanks to all for the help!
    jetboatn said:
    Thanks to all for the help!
    Excellent!  Glad it was a simple fix!  Glad yours was not cracked also.  Mine was a bit of a pain to fix.
  • Spectre9Spectre9 Member Posts: 39
    @dhauf I also have said hairline crack.  Mine was behind playwood  2018 model 320s outback 8/2017 manufacture I bought Sep 2018.  

Looking closely, it appears the plastic is a bit large for the framework, so it is flexed a bit leading to stress fracture.

I feel like you assessed situation and did not want them tearing out said pan. Which was my conclusion as well - it is essentially glued to everything.
    edited September 2018
    Spectre9 said:
    @dhauf I also have said hairline crack.  Mine was behind playwood  2018 model 320s outback 8/2017 manufacture I bought Sep 2018.  

Looking closely, it appears the plastic is a bit large for the framework, so it is flexed a bit leading to stress fracture.

I feel like you assessed situation and did not want them tearing out said pan. Which was my conclusion as well - it is essentially glued to everything.
    Very interesting and @Spectre9 you are correct, it’s a big deal to change out that pan.  Unfortunately I feel like this is probably a common issue since the plastic is thin, and as you said is tightly squeezed in there.  A bit of super glue on the crack and the polyurethane based caulk did the trick for me and no more leak.  My brand new 2018 Tab was replaced though by a 2019 model under warranty for me due to many other different issues I found.  My new unit does not seem to have this problem, but if it does happen to crack I will do the same thing as I did on my previous unit.  I also was tempted to try flexseal but had the poly caulk already on hand so I didn’t bother to get it.  Perhaps a few coats of flexseal inside the pan would work well also.
  • Spectre9Spectre9 Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2018
    I also tried the superglue option @dhauf and it helped some, but my crack extends under the plywood (the “shelf” to left of AC has piece that extend to bathroom).  I cannot get under the wood and crack appears to extend there, and water is now pooling in top of the plywood and running all way to bathroom.  If I didn’t know leak was there it would ruin wood over time.

So while I could report to nucamp I don’t really want to tear apart camper so I shall just seal it all up myself with a poly glue caulk or more likely a silicon caulk since I have some on hand.

Frankly I was just reluctant to DIY until I saw another owner (@dhauf) fix rather than going to dealer.

Caulk all around seems only option since the framing bar-stock is hollow and the welds are just tack welds, so any water that gets in the framing can propagate to anywhere in the tray - including my crack under the framing.  So making a “tub” inside the framing seems best call,

Thanks much for sharing photos.