Options

No 12v

2»

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks again, @dhauf, for the suggestion.  I used the brush-on product on my shunt circuit board, and I do think it probably goes on thicker than a spray would & maybe allows you to be more selective in where it goes.  However, in this case, I probably should have used a spray, because the soldered side of the circuit board that I wanted to coat is underneath of metal parts that block access to some areas, whereas a spray would have reached them easier.  I managed to reach them with a toothpick, but with difficulty & less confidence about thorough coverage.  On the other hand, I would be concerned about the spray inadvertently getting inside the shunt's RJ-12 socket or power pin/sensor sockets and interfering with the contacts.
    In any case, it is still working, and I  think better protected against corrosion or shorts due to humidity & condensation.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    What is the shunt you are referring to?  Is it at the wall mounted monitor for the battery, water tank, grey and black tank monitors?

Thanks
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @BigGrover, no, not the SeeLevel, but a part of the same Victron battery monitor system with which @jkjenn was reporting problems when she started this topic.  The shunt is part of a battery monitor device that reroutes cables attached to the negative battery terminal through a two-terminal block before going to the battery.  It has electronic sensors between the two terminals that relays all battery usage and charge status information to a monitor which provides more detailed and accurate battery charge status & usage history information than just a simple voltage level reading.  The electronics are apparently susceptible to environmental moisture if not well protected, which may affect its performance that otherwise normally provides some very useful information about how long the battery may last.

Here's what the shunt looks like (circled in red).  The large black cable goes to the battery neg, while cables normally connected there would be connected to the shunt's vacant terminal post here.  This puts the sensor cables in between on a small circuit board for monitoring battery usage.  It's these electronics that are believed to be susceptible.  Putting them inside a junction box like this helps, but humid air can condense on cold metal & corrode wires.  Silicone sprays & liquids are available for coating electronics to protect from moisture.
    I also mounted this box hanging from the end at right, so condensation can run down the wires & board and drain out.  I coated this little circuit board with a silicone liquid protective coating.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    BrianZ said:
    @BigGrover, no, not the SeeLevel, but a part of the same Victron battery monitor system with which @jkjenn was reporting problems when she started this topic.  The shunt is part of a battery monitor device that reroutes cables attached to the negative battery terminal through a two-terminal block before going to the battery.  It has electronic sensors between the two terminals that relays all battery usage and charge status information to a monitor which provides more detailed and accurate battery charge status & usage history information than just a simple voltage level reading.  The electronics are apparently susceptible to environmental moisture if not well protected, which may affect its performance that otherwise normally provides some very useful information about how long the battery may last.

Here's what the shunt looks like (circled in red).  The large black cable goes to the battery neg, while cables normally connected there would be connected to the shunt's vacant terminal post here.  This puts the sensor cables in between on a small circuit board for monitoring battery usage.  It's these electronics that are believed to be susceptible.  Putting them inside a junction box like this helps, but humid air can condense on cold metal & corrode wires.  Silicone sprays & liquids are available for coating electronics to protect from moisture.
    I also mounted this box hanging from the end at right, so condensation can run down the wires & board and drain out.  I coated this little circuit board with a silicone liquid protective coating.

Looks awesome @BrianZ Nice install! Glad the coating worked well for you.