Options

ScreenBeam TV Mirroring Device

I've read various posts regarding TV HDMI devices, some of which seem to generate complications with the Jensen TV/audio system.  I therefore thought I'd share my experience with a ScreenBeam Mini2.

I was looking to use my home cable subscription to play the various channel streaming apps (HBOgo,  Showtime Anytime, CNN, etc.) I have on my phone, via my 2018 Tab 320S Jensen tv.  Although there are multiple popular devices available, like Roku, Firestick, etc., they usually require a wifi connection.  Obviously, the need for a wifi connection limits where and how often you can use them when camping.  Fortunately I came across the ScreenBeam Mini2 on Amazon:  
Actiontec ScreenBeam Mini2 Wireless Display Receiver(SBWD60A01) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14JG2Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_9IIUBbMFDGEHH
This is a small stick device that plugs into the open HDMI connection on the back of the tv and can be powered via the axillary power outlet, also on back of of the tv.  By using the supplied small HDMI extension cord, the stick and wires can be neatly positioned and zip tied to the tv swing arm.

The ScreenBeam is compatible with many miracast-type enabled devices and apps.  In the case of my Samsung S6, I simply downloaded the Samsung Smart TV app.  Now, providing I have a phone data signal, I can wirelessly mirror everything from my phone, including audio.  Connection is simple and quick and video/audio is excellent.  When connected, the Jensen essentially becomes a smart TV.  We can now watch virtually any channel or Netflix movie we want, or listen to Spotify or Pandora or radio, with a single wireless connection.  

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    edited October 2018
    @teztab it important to add that according to it’s Amazon listing it is NOT compatible with any Apple devices. All others seem to work just  fine. Very cool product though! Now to play with my laptop and mobile hotspot and see if this would work. Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    @teztab it important to add that according to it’s Amazon listing it is NOT compatible with any Apple devices. All others seem to work just  fine. Very cool product though! Now to play with my laptop and mobile hotspot and see if this would work. Thanks!
    Sure, sorry Apple people.  As is often the case, Apple have their own protocol!
    If you are using your hotspot to stream to a properly enabled PC, this should work fine for mirroring on the tv.
  • Options
    One thing I meant to add is, even if you don't have a data signal, the SreenBeam allows you to easily show on your tv, any content you've previously downloaded and stored on your device.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Interesting, @teztab.  So, I'm wondering how much data might one consume to stream an HD show or movie via mobile data connection, as our plan is not unlimited.  In about half of the campgrounds we've stayed at in the last year, we didn't have any cellular connection, let alone 4G, so having media saved to your device in advance seems like a good idea. (And more possible on Android phones with plug-in micro-SD card storage, like the 256GB card I'm currently using.  Again, sorry Apple users.)

For the last year, we've been using one of the $20 adapters below with an HDMI cable connected to the TV for mirroring our Galaxy Note8 screens to the TV, either at home or on the trailer TV.  It has some limited Apple compatibility too & handy for cellphone photo slideshows on the TV.

USB C to HDMI Adapter (4K@60Hz), CHOETECH Type C to HDMI Adapter Cable (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) Compatible with 2018/2017 MacBook Pro, 2016/2015 MacBook, Surface Book 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 9 / S9 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DGKBYP

We had an adapter device similar to the above for our previous Galaxy phones that used the old D-shaped micro-USB connector, but Samsung has switched to the Thunderbolt protocol for their newer USB type C port.  Wireless screen mirroring has never been the most reliable for us, going directly from phone to TV, so I expect your device improves on that by making it less dependent on the TV's built-in receiver & protocol, since they all have HDMI.  

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    BrianZ said:
    Interesting, @teztab.  So, I'm wondering how much data migh9t one consume to stream an HD show or movie via mobile data connection, as our plan is not unlimited.  In about half of the campgrounds we've stayed at in the last year, we didn't have any cellular connection, let alone 4G, so having media saved to your device in advance seems like a good idea. (And more possible on Android phones with plug-in micro-SD card storage, like the 256GB card I'm currently using.  Again, sorry Apple users.)

For the last year, we've been using one of the $20 adapters below with an HDMI cable connected to the TV for mirroring our Galaxy Note8 screens to the TV, either at home or on the trailer TV.  It has some limited Apple compatibility too & handy for cellphone photo slideshows on the TV.

USB C to HDMI Adapter (4K@60Hz), CHOETECH Type C to HDMI Adapter Cable (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) Compatible with 2018/2017 MacBook Pro, 2016/2015 MacBook, Surface Book 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 9 / S9 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DGKBYP

We had an adapter device similar to the above for our previous Galaxy phones that used the old D-shaped micro-USB connector, but Samsung has switched to the Thunderbolt protocol for their newer USB type C port.  Wireless screen mirroring has never been the most reliable for us, going directly from phone to TV, so I expect your device improves on that by making it less dependent on the TV's built-in receiver & protocol, since they all have HDMI.  

Extended video streaming is obviously going to consume lots of data/bandwidth, so without an unlimited data plan I would not recommend streaming.  As for the wireless connectivity of the ScreenBeam, in my experience to date it has proven to be very robust in terms of both reliability and quality. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I use a a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter with my Android and PC. I either pre-download movies or shows or use my Fios TV app which does not cou t against my data on my VZW plan. 

After I burn through my downloaded content, Inusually visit a library or other free wifi location to use wifi to download new content.

For livestreaming, I try to use Sirrius radio because it uses very low amounts of data.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We bought the screenbeam because it was a little cheaper.  The hdmi and usb plugs however needed more space to plug in next to each other.  My wife went out to get an adapter for this, but came home with the microsoft unit.  It also didn't fit with the initial plugins, but it had the extra adapter that came with it and then it fit fine.  I had heard that this one had trouble with Netflix.  I have to say, when I plugged in the Microsoft one, the install was very easy and I had no troubles with Netflix etc.  I did have some confusion at first when my sister called in the middle of all this and all of a sudden, her face was on my tv screen..  Argggg....  We don't really use the tv all that much, but once in a while during a heavy rainstorm or latter in the evening its nice.  

Two thumbs up...  so far...

btw, thanks @jkjenn for the comments about this here and in your blog..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    One drawback to these HDMI streaming devices is that many T@Bs use Jensen TVs that have only one HDMI input, which is already in use to link to the audio head unit.  For newer units, it is the only audio connection to the head unit.  So, you have a choice to make.  If you want to use HDMI/ARC and listen to audio through the main wall speakers, you can't use a streaming device.  If you want to use a streaming device, you have to unplug the HDMI cable leading to the head unit, and then you're stuck with listening to audio through the TV speakers.  You can't use both the head unit and the streamer at the same time unless you're willing to fish new RCA or optical cables through the wall to the head unit OR replace the TV with one that has multiple HDMI ports.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We just listen through the tinny tv speakers
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    You can also use a bluetooth speaker and pair the bluetooth to the device where you are playing the media.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014