Options

Leveling camper when boondocking

TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
edited October 2018 in Tips & Tricks
I’m just about to take possession of a t@b 320 Boondock. Yay!

i am planning to take it to a boondock site that isn’t perfectly level. I’ve been poking around for advice about setting up on irregular ground, and haven’t been able to find much. I went through “Post up some shots of your T@B set-up at the camp site!” thread and couldn’t find many examples of t@bs on anything but flat campground pads.

i did find the shot of @SkiCO site below on the following page: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/437/post-up-some-shots-of-your-t-b-set-up-at-the-camp-site/p34

This site setup seems to be a very inventive setup and much like the setup I’ll be needing. But, I want some opinions and advice about a few things. Before I dive in, I’m sorry @SkiCO if I’m being too critical. First, I’m sure he would have preferred not to use rocks on the front stabilizer, but I think my biggest concern would be with leaving the wheel on the jack. That seems to be a weak point.

as for the height of the setup, all the other points are nicely lifted with leveling thingies (those LEGO-like stackable things). The stabilizers are all down and would add a lot of stability, making the whole setup pretty stable. 

So, if I setup my camp just like this, and replaced the rocks with levelers and took the wheel off the jack and put a block of wood on top of those levelers, would you folks consider this a safe setup? Could the lower side go higher? How high could the jack go without goin crazy (how many inches of levelers could I put beneath a fully raised jack)? I don’t see any wheel chocks. Is that a problem with all the stabilizers deployed?

(Somewhere I saw a pic of a very extreme use of levelers, but I can’t find it right now. For the sake of discussion, can anyone find it?)

thanks, @SkiCO for being my guinea pig.

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Looks a bit dangerous to me without chocks.  It's this kind of situation that prompted me to bring home a 10ft 2x8 and cut it into 2ft lengths, so I can stack them and still have room for chocks around the wheel.  The jacks I installed on the back let me lift the wheel off the ground to slide the blocks under.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Look at a BAL Leveler. It will lift the low side a pretty good distance, then you can save the waffle blocks for putting under your stablizers and front wheel. You can replace your style wheel with a flat foot if desired.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Depending on how rocky the ground is, digging a hole to lower the high side works to within reason, obviously you don't want and part other than the tire on the ground.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    I've used a BAL leveler at one spot and had to lift one side of the trailer almost a foot.  I also had to use a nice flat rock to "stabilize" one stabilizer.  I always leave me wheel on the jack, I've never thought of taking it off when parked. 

I agree with the chocks, though.  The BAL works as a chock, but I would still chock the offside wheel.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    Will will the BAL leveler work on rocky or uneven ground?
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    When I had to lift that one side, it was in the desert in California, and the site was mostly gravel.  The surface didn't have lot of holes, etc, it was just on a strong slope.  Check the videos on the BAL:  it really slides on the surface on two "pipes".  The pipes might catch on some stones/gravel/grass as you try to slide it around the tire.  I carry a small trowel if I need to dig around or repair an uneven surface like that.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    We leave our wheel on the jack almost always.  There are dish-like pads designed to keep it from rolling.  Sometimes you need that height of that wheel with the jack.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio