Need body work done and nobody can do it!

Has anyone ever had their T@B damaged and needed body work done? Mine was damaged in a tornado 3 weeks ago and I have still not been able to find anyone who can fix it! They all say they don't have the parts and can't order them (why!?) or they've never heard of this camper before. I called the dealer where I bought it, who is a dealer for T@BS, and they didn't know if they could do it either, so they asked to see pictures of the damage. I sent them a week ago and haven't heard back. Winter is coming and I want this taken care of before the snow flies. I live too far away from NuCamp in Ohio to realistically bring it there, the insurance adjuster mentioned to tow it there, as if they wouldn't tow it there for me, so if I can't find a place around here that is able to fix it, I would be out so much money because the damage was only 1/3 of the price I paid for it, and I've only used it 7 times so I don't want to junk it already! I am so bummed out about this. What has anyone else done when they needed body work done?

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Has anyone ever had their T@B damaged and needed body work done? Mine was damaged in a tornado 3 weeks ago and I have still not been able to find anyone who can fix it! They all say they don't have the parts and can't order them (why!?) or they've never heard of this camper before. I called the dealer where I bought it, who is a dealer for T@BS, and they didn't know if they could do it either, so they asked to see pictures of the damage. I sent them a week ago and haven't heard back. Winter is coming and I want this taken care of before the snow flies. I live too far away from NuCamp in Ohio to realistically bring it there, the insurance adjuster mentioned to tow it there, as if they wouldn't tow it there for me, so if I can't find a place around here that is able to fix it, I would be out so much money because the damage was only 1/3 of the price I paid for it, and I've only used it 7 times so I don't want to junk it already! I am so bummed out about this. What has anyone else done when they needed body work done?
    I would reach out to nuCamp and see if they can help you find someone who could do it for you. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Widen your search for trailer repair or an automotive body shop.  Call NuCamp and ask about parts and advice on what type of shop can do the type of work you require.  Dig a little deeper with your insurance agent on who they would authorize to do the repairs.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    What part of the country are you in? People may be able to make recommendations if you share that information.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • GaiaGoddessGaiaGoddess Member Posts: 21
    jkjenn said:
    I would reach out to nuCamp and see if they can help you find someone who could do it for you. 
    I am actually still waiting to hear back from them from 3 weeks ago.

Widen your search for trailer repair or an automotive body shop.  Call NuCamp and ask about parts and advice on what type of shop can do the type of work you require.  Dig a little deeper with your insurance agent on who they would authorize to do the repairs.
    Sorry this is messed up, apparently on this forum you can't delete and start over and i can't get my cursor to go in the white part. I have already tried a bunch of dealers, they all say they have either never heard of this camper or they can't order parts, can't help me, etc. I can't afford nor do I have the time to travel further than 3 hours away which is where I might have to go, if they will ever get back to me. That's my main issue is places are not getting back to me,  still waiting on NuCamp from 3 weeks ago. My insurance company will authorize anyone as this point, the adjuster was also trying to find a place but was also unable to so they are just letting me find someone (i'm sure they didn't want to waste any more time).
    edited October 2018
    Marceline said:
    What part of the country are you in? People may be able to make recommendations if you share that information.
    I'm in southern MN. The place I found that MIGHT be able to fix it is where I bought it at Elk River RV which is 3 hours north of me, but it's been a week since I've heard from them.
    I don't know about the autobody shop idea. T@B bodies are made out of laminated panels, not steel. I wouldn't trust a shop that doesn't have experience with laminates. I think that I'd go to a boat repair guy before an auto body shop.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @GaiaGoddess, have you been calling them or emailing them?  What number/ address are you using?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    the damage was only 1/3 of the price I paid for it
    How did the adjuster determine the cost to repair if they haven't been in contact with someone that knows the proper way to fix it?
    Was the T@B tossed around in the storm or did something fall on it?
    Can you post a photo of the damage?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    TabberJohn is correct...how did adjuster estimate cost of repair? 
    I spent 37 years in claims, doing all jobs including various management duties.  Claims adjusters have estimating programs that work well for cars and houses but I suspect they aren't very good at estimating repair to a more unique item like a T@B with laminated panels. 
    So besides reaching out to Nu-Camp I'd go back to insurance company.  They have duty to make you whole...and that would include transporting trailer to repair facility, and back.  If no repair  facility near you maybe transport to Nu-Camp is appropriate???  If that too expensive maybe trailer is a total loss???  Even an RV dealer may not be able to fix major damage appropriately.
    If adjuster is not helpful ask for his manager's name and number, if he is not helpful ask for next level up, etc.  And finally your state insurance commissioner may offer some ideas. 
    But I suspect your adjuster will be more helpful when you explain no repair shop is stepping up to repair your T@B.
    Good luck.    

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited October 2018
    @GaiaGoddess I’d recommend nicely hounding nüCamp (she says on late Friday afternoon). The degree of visible damage may only be a part of the total. Send them interior and exterior photos again and ask them what others have done when experiencing this degree of damage. Have insurances paid for transportation to the factory for repair, have trailers been totaled? Have they allowed non dealers to do repairs? We’re sort of operating blind here as we don’t know what, where or how severe the damage is. I know nüCamp will reply but am surprised they have not done so yet. Please keep us informed of your experience as it could help others in the future, especially if these storms become more commonplace. Thank you and good luck.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    Marceline said:
    I'm in southern MN. The place I found that MIGHT be able to fix it is where I bought it at Elk River RV which is 3 hours north of me, but it's been a week since I've heard from them.
    There is a TAB dealer and service center in Mankato MN - Keepers RV.  I've had them do work on our 320.  I don't know if they do body repair but it's worth a call to them.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I am with@Vikings and knot just because I know him. Don’t allow your insurance carrier to get off easy. Get what you pay for. Good luck.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Call nuCamp again, please.  Messages become misplaced, emails pile up.  Push yourself to the front of the line with this.  Waiting 3 weeks to get a return to your message will only frustrate you.  
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Just curious, what kind of body damage did you experience in the tornado? Are your roof or sidewalls perforated?
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    We found a great T@B repair shop in Chippewa Falls. Prestige Auto and RV. On Hallie Rd.  Chris is very helpful and he communicated with NuCamp for us.  if he cannot help you I'm sure he would have some ideas. 7158330066
    edited October 2018
    I am behind on messages, I will try to answer everyone as quick as possible (not much time to reply to everyone separately). My insurance adjuster was able to reach someone at NuCamp and he sent them his pictures, while I sent them mine too, they just responded to him instead of me. The estimate is from them for $6000, which is less than half of what it's worth, so it's not totalled. The damage is only on the side with the door, the window was busted out and there are huge cracks in the wall on either side (another RV got pushed into mine in the storm). The RV dealer where i bought it IS a T@B dealer so they should be able to fix it better than anyone. If they can't, I'll have to try the one in Mankato and Chippewa Falls. If all of those fail, then I will ask the adjuster why insurance can't pay to have it towed there. 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @GaiaGoddess, good luck with every aspect of this. With nüCamp in the mix, I'm sure all will be repaired to your satisfaction. Sorry you had to experience tornado damage to your t@b but glad you weren't in it at the time.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Wow, that's severe damage. Sounds like the entire right side will need to be replaced, and that sounds like a factory job to me. Good luck!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

Estancio said:
    Wow, that's severe damage. Sounds like the entire right side will need to be replaced, and that sounds like a factory job to me. Good luck!
    The estimate has everything on the side, yeah, even things that weren't even touched, like the door, and the outside light, I dont know why they would have to put whole new ones on when those are fine.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @GaiaGoddess, the side panels are one piece units. Although the door appears to you to be ok, the frame may have been tweaked when the side was damaged and would be out of alignment when reinstalled, so it is best to replace that entire side. As you said, too new to give it up yet. Again, good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • JeegeJeege Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2018
    Our T@B was hit by hail resulting in pock marks all over the front, back, and roof. We talked to the dealer who said to have it repaired at NuCamp in Sugarcreek, Oh. We did that; they replaced the entire "skin" front to back and the trailer looks like new. It was pricey so hopefully you have insurance. Austin, who heads the service center, was wonderful to work with as was everyone at the facility. 
  • RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    edited October 2018
    With that kind of damage, I would push for a factory repair. Maybe a dealer getting a Tab delivery could load it on the trailer to send back to Nucamp. I would bet few if any dealers have replaced an entire side wall on a Tab.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
    Well i'll see what this dealer tells me (the one I bought it at), I am still waiting to hear back from them. But if it's up to me to drive it to Ohio, I dont know how I can ever do that, I would need to stay in a hotel for however long it takes them to fix it, probably a week or two, and no job is going to give me that much time off (getting a new job any day now).
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Well i'll see what this dealer tells me (the one I bought it at), I am still waiting to hear back from them. But if it's up to me to drive it to Ohio, I dont know how I can ever do that, I would need to stay in a hotel for however long it takes them to fix it, probably a week or two, and no job is going to give me that much time off (getting a new job any day now).
    Why not drop it off? You could either drive home or fly back. CLE is a very easy airport to get in and out of and security is fast. You could probably work with Austin on pick up and drop off dates.

I can second the recommendation to let the factory do the work, if it all possible. They are excellent.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

If the factory is the only place for repair, I would think insurance would pay to have it transported - even on a flat-bed truck.
    jkjenn said:
    Why not drop it off? You could either drive home or fly back. CLE is a very easy airport to get in and out of and security is fast. You could probably work with Austin on pick up and drop off dates.

I can second the recommendation to let the factory do the work, if it all possible. They are excellent.
    It would take me 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back then another 4 days total again to go back for it. i'm not going to get hired anywhere if i tell them I will need this much time off right from the start. And I'm not leaving my car there, I need my car to get around, and never feel ok if I'm not with my car (kind of a wierd thing I have).
    If the factory is the only place for repair, I would think insurance would pay to have it transported - even on a flat-bed truck.
    I'll ask them, if it comes to that. But I would think the insurance adjuster would have said that when we talked, but he said it like it was my responsibility.
    I'll ask them, if it comes to that. But I would think the insurance adjuster would have said that when we talked, but he said it like it was my responsibility.
    The insurance company will try to get away with whatever they can get away with.
    If the only place that the trailer can be properly repaired is the factory then they need to pay to get the trailer there (and back). Don't sign anything with the insurer until you have this sorted out to your satisfaction.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    While I don't agree 100% with Marceline re "company will try to get away with whatever they can" if you don't ask insurance company will presume you don't mind transporting T@B to Ohio.  So ask... 
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited