Options

Stabilizer Jack question

cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
I just had to replace the stabilizer jack unit on our Dutchman CS - front passenger side - due to the failure of the nut that the jack screw travels thru.  Thank you, Elsie!
My question is:  does anyone lube the jack screw or do you just leave it dry so it doesn't attract road debris/mud/dust?
Thanks,
John
John & Cheryl
2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
Edmond, OK

Comments

• Options
    xheavyxheavy Member Posts: 10
    Following 
    2018 Tab 400 / TV 2017 GMC Canyon Diesel 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We sprayed them with wd40 2 years ago but haven’t touched them since. Of course, we use the power drill bit to raise and lower them, so that makes it easier anyway.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    There are many choices of DRY lubricants which will work.  I use a wax based spray on lubricant that eventually flakes off taking dirt with it.  Once a year seems to be adequate to keep them running smooth.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    We use a dry, silicone spray on the jack screw and all moving stabilizer parts.  Clean with wd-40, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    My experience is that oil only attracts and holds dirt. Dry lubricant is best.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    I have heard that Boeshield T-9 is an excellent dry lubricant and metal protectant.  I have no experience with it but am about to start using it in various places to see how good it is.  It is NOT cheap but from the descriptions and reviews it may be just the thing for a camper!  Maybe someone who has been using this product will give us an opinion.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I worked in a cabinet shop with a retired Boeing guy and we used Boeshield (Boe as in Boeing) all the time on cast iron surfaces...the stuff works great!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Have used Boeshield for decades on automotive and marine uses. I worked on the Grumman LEMs and various naval fighter jets and once I saw how T-9 was used in production it sold me.  Currently using on my T@B to lube and protect the hitch, the jack wheel and the stabilizers. Also spray on the wheels and lug nuts. I carry a small spray in my trailer tool kit. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2018
    You worked on the LEMs!?! I think that's a pretty distinguishing patch to have for your jacket! (Thanks, it says a lot about Boeshield, too)
    rcuomo said:
    Have used Boeshield for decades on automotive and marine uses. I worked on the Grumman LEMs and various naval fighter jets and once I saw how T-9 was used in production it sold me.  Currently using on my T@B to lube and protect the hitch, the jack wheel and the stabilizers. Also spray on the wheels and lug nuts. I carry a small spray in my trailer tool kit. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya