Options

What size Generator to Power a T@B 400 AC Plus Lights, Refrigerator and TV

Hello everyone, My wife and I are retiring next year and are scheduled to buy a T@B 400 early in 2019. We have been researching and planning this for over a year. We plan on doing some boondocking and therefore want to have a generator as part of our kit. I have consulted with Nucamp and they suggest a 2800 W generator to handle the start up surge of the AC. I have seen others who have run the T@B AC with a 2000 W generator (2200 W peak). Looking to hear if any others have had a similar experience. 

Comments

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Tab 320 and 400 have very different a/c units. 2000 watts is fine for a 320 with a 5k btu unit. 400 needs more, maybe 3000 watts.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    jpi68jpi68 Member Posts: 80
    We are currently looking at a pair of Champion 2000W generators hooked up in parallel. Has any one else tried this set up with a T@B 400?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Yes, I have looked at that thread and downloaded all the info, however, reading the Dometic Cool Cat manual, installation of the Micro-air Soft Start would void the Cool Cat's Warrantee... Therefore we have been looking at a generator system that would work and not break the bank, or my back..
  • Options
    unclemikebobunclemikebob Member Posts: 10

I purchased a Honda 2800 after talking with the tech guy at nuCamp. Runs the ac in my 400 just fine.  I had a Honda 2000 and it would start and run the ac, but seemed to bog down just a little on start up. The 2800 is heavier and takes more room but I can manage and only fill it when I have it sitting where its going to be used for a while.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Another option may be go with smaller generator like the Honda 2200 and upgrade the off grid battery/inverter systems. The hybrid inverter systems are able to pull power from the battery bank to assist the generator momentarily with loads that exceed the generator output such as Cool Cat starting. That type of system is NOT inexpensive but may be better than lugging a huge generator that is only needed for the air conditioning. Victron has offerings starting at $1100 plus installation that would fall into this category of inverter. Bottom line is there is not going to be an inexpensive solution to running air conditioning while off grid.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    N7SHG_Ham - I agree, it seems that the most reliable would be the Honda Parallel system at $2,200, followed by the Yamaha at $1,911 and then the Champion at $916. Unfortunately the best ratings are in the same order as the highest to lowest cost...
  • Options
    @jpi68 well you usually get what you pay for, sometimes less and hardly ever more...
  • Options
    OK people, I have now read comments by three different T@B 400 owners who have run their Cool Cat AC using a 2000 watt generator. One used a Generac 2000, the other two were Honda's. One person ran the AC at altitude with the Honda 2200. As far as I understand they ran these without the assistance of the Micro-Air or other soft start assistance. Can any one else elaborate or collaborate on a similar experience?
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I have a Honda 2800i generator. It runs the AC fine, but sometimes it will trip my power input protection unit on ac startup. I bought and fitted a microaire soft start. The guys at the supplier were great got it off Amazon. Install was relatively easy. The difference is huge. The generator never bogs down and my power input protection unit never trips. If I have a problem with the coolcat I'll just take the micro air off and no one will be the wiser, since the micro-air has almost zero chance of damaging the coolcat, in fact it helps the compressor on startup.
    I am very impressed with the unit. Ran it off my generator for 8 hours and never refilled the generator. It was 90 outside and 74 inside. No problem. :-). BTW, it makes a huge difference to the thermostat cut on and off depending how you set the floor vent opposite. If you point it at the thermostat it turns off way too early.
  • Options
    simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44

I'm using a Honda eu2200i to run every thing that came with my 2018 tab 400. It runs the a/c with no problems, I do shut it off for a few minutes to operate my microwave or coffee maker and then turn the ac back on. It's light weight and starts with just one pull!  I first tried the off brand models and found out, you get what you pay for!
    2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
  • Options
    NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    edited September 2019
    I use a Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight. It runs the AC no problem. I also run the microwave off of it (I shut off the AC first)
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    Interesting.... We bought a Honda eu2200. It will run the AC at elevations below 2,000 feet, i.e., the Midwest, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio...... Here in Colorado no such luck, at elevations of 5,000 feet the generator will not run the AC. The Honda will run the microwave, at altitude, no problem. Thankfully, it has been our experience that at our altitudes, and humidity levels the Fantastic Fan is all we need to cool off the cabin... Still we think that we will eventually pick up the Honda 2200 Companion, which would give us up to 4,400 watts of power. That could possibly power our AC and microwave at the same time... not that we would need to do that...
  • Options
    I live at around 3000 feet, I just bought a new Honda 2200i with a propane conversion. It will start and run the Coolcat in my 2019 400 even on eco mode. I will likely add a microair easy start in the future to make it less of a jolt and help with start up at altitude. If you can get past the startup, any 2000 class generator should be able to maintain running, the current draw running is just a little over 1/2 of the rated power of these generators.
  • Options
    I have heard good and bad things about the micro air. The good is that it helps in running the T@B 400 AC on a 2,000 watt generator at altitude. The bad is that it may void the warranty on theT@B AC.
  • Options
    jpi68 said:
    I have heard good and bad things about the micro air. The good is that it helps in running the T@B 400 AC on a 2,000 watt generator at altitude. The bad is that it may void the warranty on theT@B AC.
    True. I think key word is "may". I think Dometic would have to prove the mod caused failure and MicroAir has indicated they would defend the product.

Reality is have you ever heard of an EasyStart causing a failure or for that matter anyone having to replace a CoolCat under warranty for any reason? I haven't, so I think mostly nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I am not very handy, and even though I’ve seen the wiring diagrams and pictures of how to install the easystart not sure that I want to try it. I have heard of people going to RV shows where there was an easystart booth and that they installed the unit at the show. Has anyone else heard of this?
  • Options
    NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    I have 2019 400 BDL with a Coolcat AC. I use a Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight that works well running the AC
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • Options
    cafyrmancafyrman Member Posts: 25
    My EU2200i runs the AC on my 2018 400 pretty well, but it goes into overload when I'm up at 4000 feet.  Oddly, it doesn't seem to do it when the AC first starts, but right in the middle of running.

Any thoughts on that?  Will the Microair help with that?
    2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    @cafyrman the MicroAir only comes into play at compressor start, so unless the issue mid running is when the compressor comes back on, I don't think the MicroAir will solve the overload issue.
  • Options
    cafyrmancafyrman Member Posts: 25
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @cafyrman the MicroAir only comes into play at compressor start, so unless the issue mid running is when the compressor comes back on, I don't think the MicroAir will solve the overload issue.
    That's the only thing I can figure... maybe the compressor is coming back on while the fan is still running and I don't notice that it's kicked off and back on.  I think I might try to dig up my Kill a Watt to measure actual use while hooked to shore power.
    2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    TacoDr1verTacoDr1ver Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of getting an Ecoflow 3600 watt solar generator. Would that run the Cool cat in my 2021 400 Boondock and for about how long?
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 10
    A 3600-watt solar generator is the size of the unit’s inverter, which should power the CoolCat AC.  The question is how big of a battery does that unit have in it, this is what is going to determine how long you can run the AC.  It takes about a 400 amp hr. Lithium battery to run the AC for about 6 hrs. in avg conditions.  The other question is the ambient air temp, inside the trailer and the outside air temp, which will determine how hard the AC needs to work.  Lots of factors at play here.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Citruscountytab400Citruscountytab400 Member Posts: 10
    I use a Honda 2200eu companion generator and the 400 AC along with all other appliances such as the microwave lights and refrigerator can run at the same time.  I do use the water heater on gas when running off the generator.  in general, you will never use all appliance at the same time, so I would suggest you look at a Honda or Yamaha suitcase generator and buy it for life.
    Full-time rving since 2006, tab owner since 2022
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    I use a Honda 2200eu as well and we are very satisfied with it’s performance.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5