Window shade total replacement.....doable?

Lo All!  Take a 9lb. xtra hyper toy poodle who wants to see out of the passenger side window when the shade is raised and you have a torn up passenger side window shade.
  No, I haven't called nuCamp yet (OR the vet for doggie downers) but both are on the "to do" list.  Question is has anyone replaced the whole shade assembly.  The screen is fine (it was up) but the shade is toast.  Or, maybe Swiss cheese but it has GOT to be replaced.  If anyone has any experience in replacing a shade I would really appreciate a get back.
  Thanks in advance and see you around the campfire....Pete

Pete & Jeanne 2019 T@B red and grey 400 Boondock Lite..TV 2015 Nissan Frontier, Southern Louisiana

Comments

• rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    You should be able to get replacement assembly from nuCamp. Don't know your model year, but the instructions in this discussion should give you an idea of what is involved:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2114/blinds-shades-assembly-instructions#latest
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    We experienced a similar problem when one of our canine companions attacked the bug screen portion of the door-side window shade on our 2018 320.  The screen appeared entirely destroyed but on closer inspection I found that while it was completely mangled it was not torn or pierced.  So, before ordering a replacement from Nucamp, I decided to attempt a repair (I learned from Elsie that only complete units were available).  Surprisingly, I was able to completely dismantle the shade frame, reform the concertina folds in the screen and reassemble the unit.  It turned out to be just fine but now, if we have to leave the dogs in the camper for any period of time, we transfer their crate to the Tab!  Good luck with your repair...
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2018
    Gotta love them dogs for sure!    =)

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • PJ123PJ123 Member Posts: 41
     Lo All!  Teztab I'm afraid that this is going to be one of those "complete replacements"  Elsie mentioned. Some of the pleats are just plain, slap gone (I don't WANT to think where they might have wound up).
      Rajamar, model year is '18 320 S boonie so finding a replacement shouldn't be to hard to do..It's just having to do so is the rub. 
      But after all is said and done Michigan Mike is right on.  Just gotta love the pooches for sure!
       Thanks for the get back y'all..see ya around the camp fire!

Pete & Jeanne 2019 T@B red and grey 400 Boondock Lite..TV 2015 Nissan Frontier, Southern Louisiana
  • teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    PJ123 said:
     Lo All!  Teztab I'm afraid that this is going to be one of those "cyomplete replacements"  Elsie mentioned. Some of the pleats are just plain, slap gone (I don't WANT to think where they might have wound up).
      Rajamar, model year is '18 320 S boonie so finding a replacement shouldn't be to hard to do..It's just having to do so is the rub. 
      But after all is said and done Michigan Mike is right on.  Just gotta love the pooches for sure!
       Thanks for the get back y'all..see ya around the camp fire!

Understood, I guess your pooch was hungrier than ours!  Full replacement is very easy.  Ours is a 320S '18 and you just pry off the corner caps to reveal the four retaining screws.  So you can easily unscrew the old and replace with the new...
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I bought new shades/screens from NuCamp for my 2007 and installed them myself. They are five screws. One in each corner, and one in the top center of the support bracket. Really easy. Especially as a replacement. Take the four corner pieces out and remove the screws, take the old one off. Hang the new one up on the top center bracket and screw in the new screws.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • IstokpogaIstokpoga Member Posts: 22
    Similar issue here, but not as dramatic yet. Two fifteen pound canines that sleep the day away until they hear our TV return.  Our new-to-us 2017 has gotten its shades bonked out of place a couple times already, and though they're still okay, this isn't gonna work forever. 
    Just yesterday I decided I needed to devote some time to some sort of protection/panel/screen that is removable and aesthetically reasonable. Maybe even a half-curtain.  
    Following, listening. 
    Fred & Victoria with Bichons Venus & Gator; On the shores of Lake Istokpoga, Florida; Tan@Bell@ 2017 Teal & White 320 S towed by a 2004 Nissan Titan and occasionally by GatorRoo, a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6 L 
    "It's great to be a Florida Gator!"
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Istokpoga said:
    Similar issue here, but not as dramatic yet. Two fifteen pound canines that sleep the day away until they hear our TV return.  Our new-to-us 2017 has gotten its shades bonked out of place a couple times already, and though they're still okay, this isn't gonna work forever. 
    Just yesterday I decided I needed to devote some time to some sort of protection/panel/screen that is removable and aesthetically reasonable. Maybe even a half-curtain.  
    Following, listening. 
    Many folks put window awnings on the outside of their windows. If you are using air conditioning, perhaps leave the shades and screens open, and the windows in vent mode and block out the light with the exterior awnings on the outside.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
     Thanks all!  Feel better now.  For awhile I was even considering the doggie downers (just kidding!!!)  It seems that, as you guys have stated, it is a fairly easy fix. Mouseketab and Teztab have supplied the directions.  It's the first OMG moment in the Ladybug (black with red trim) and I gotta say DW handled it a lot better than I. The replacement is already on order and should be here in a few days. Thanks again everybody..see you around the camp fire..

Hi Y'All!!  Don't know why the above was not posted when I wrote it.  Guess I didn't smack the 'send' button hard enough.
      I came back to page because I realized that I hadn't put this thread to bed.
      Shade assembly arrived three or four days after order.  It comes as a complete unit that is all assembled in the frame with all attachments included.  Mouseketab is right on.  Four screws off and four screws in.  Done deal.
      So thanks everybody again for the info and words of encouragement.  I had a long talk with lady poodle Zeaux (Southern Louisiana spelling for Zoe) the shade eaten' dog..and she promised never to do it again...Thanks again all,  Zeaux, Beaux (you guessed it, "Boe") Jeanne and I will see you around the campfire.....Pete
  • johnbetsjohnbets Member Posts: 8
    I got you all beat. A bear went through mine after tearing the window off. I have a new window unit and a screen unit. I'm going to replace both. More accurately, I'm having a friend replace them since I'm recovering from a broken collarbone. Yes, I've had quite a summer... If I come upon any issues, I'll report back. 
    John and Betsy. 2021 T@B 320 CS-S. 2018 Toyota Tacoma
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @johnbets - tell us about the bear incident!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    Pictures!!
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    We have lots of Black Bears here in the Sierra Nevada foothills. They're very clever about opening doors on cars, campers, and houses. I had a bear open the back hatch on my 320 CS by turning the latches. It proceeded to go through my cabinets and bit each bottle of spices, stopping after it bit the red pepper flakes. Anyway I learned to lock the latches and that seemed to solve the issue for a while. BTW I don't keep food in my camper but I'm sure there are residual smells. The incident with the window came a few months later. I had the windows locked in "vent" position, which allowed the bear to get a hold on the window and break it out. It then stuck its head inside to sniff around, destroying the screen unit. Fortunately it didn't go inside as that would have caused additional damage, I'm sure. 

It turns out the window is exceedingly easy to replace. I simply detached the strut and opened the window just past 90 degrees and it fell out into my hands. The new window went in easily. I did have to adjust the cogs that the latches close against but that was easy too. The mounting holes are elongated to allow in-and-out adjustment and there are shims to adjust the height. 

I haven't replaced the screen yet as I store all my camping accessories inside the camper and my collarbone isn't quite up to the task yet. But I understand that is an easy task as well. Thanks for your interest! 

We have a CSS and I want to spend at least a month up near Yellowstone and your bear experience gives me pause (no pun intended).
    I get that. We have Black Bears whereas Yellowstone has Grizzly Bears. Blacks are quite timid and run away when you yell at them. I often say I've seen more bear behinds than fronts. I'm not familiar with the protocols around Grizzlys but I'm sure the park has that information. Most campgrounds in bear country provide bear proof boxes in which to store your food. Just follow the protocols and I'm sure you'll have a trouble-free trip. Alternatively, you'll have your own bear story to tell. It's a win-win!
    Hmmmm.  I don’t want to own any bear stories😂
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I am with you Sharon, no best stories here either…
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    I have a bear story.
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
    Ohhhh!  Way too close for comfort!
  • PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    We have some closer photos. My wife’s in the background walking the dog.
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban