Options

Smart Chargers and 6-Volt (12 volts DC) Dual Battery Setups - Recommendations & Feedback

I know this one's been beaten up some here on the forum but would like some feedback and recommendations here with the coming of winter and the storing of trailers.  I'm aware of the WFCO discussion and the potential for less than adequate charge rates and declining battery life therein.  I'm wondering how any of you long-term (with the dual 6-volt battery setups) T@B owners are faring with the dual 6-volt setups over time and what your recommendations and suggestions are for others planning to purchase a robust or more than adequate smart battery charger?  I have done some looking around, checked user reviews, etc. but would still appreciate people's experiences and maybe things to look for and that you might change when delving into a smart charger purchase.  With the coming of the dual 6-volt battery setups in the T@B 400 trailers this would also help out others down the road.  

Another underlying concern here with me is that my prior 6-volt setup in my 320 T@B seemed to be fading two years into the install and believe it can be attributed to less than adequate charge rates, etc.  So with that said, I'd appreciate your thoughts and experiences to date (post up some photos too if you have time) if you've had either success over the past 2-3 years with the dual setup and what you'd either do differently or recommend to others, along with suggestions for purchasing the best smart charger on the market within reason.  I would like to be able to basically attach the charger to the battery setup, plug it in to shore power, unplug as needed and hit the road!   =)

Thanks!
Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
    Yeah, I've also wondered if there is a better solution than the WFCO converter.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2018
    ChrisK said:
    Yeah, I've also wondered if there is a better solution than the WFCO converter.
    Pretty sure there is! Progressive Dynamics has replacements for at least some models that are a direct replacement and the Victron chargers are very advanced, I am thinking one of those might work very well, all these solutions will cost a bit and take some wiring skills.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    I’ve been using a Battery Tender between trips. But it often takes a couple of days to bring the battery up to full charge. I just bought a smart charger at Harbor Freight but haven’t had a chance to use it yet. It should provide a faster charge and do maintenance as well. https://www.harborfreight.com/2815-amp-automatic-microprocessor-controlled-battery-charger-63299.html
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Any smart charger will do if it can push 14.4V at a minimum.  Any of the Deltran Battery Tenders are good choices, even the junior.  The Norco Genius is popular.  If you live in a cold climate get a charger that has temperature compensation to ensure strong charge voltage in cold weather.  For good, all-around performance with all the features that you need - the Deltran Battery Tender Plus.

My personal choice is the Solar Pro-Logix PL2140 for the money (despite the name, it is not solar powered!).  Temperature compensation, 6/12v selectable, AGM, flooded, Gel, excellent charge voltage output.  Amazon link HERE

I remove my batteries in the winter and put them in my outdoor shed (unheated), connected to my Pro-Logix charger.  I leave them that way until spring, checking on them monthly.  They are flooded lead acid batteries so I top off the water and wipe down the tops/caps.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    They defenitely should not be fading a couple of tears in, Mike. @Sharon_is_SAM mentioned that AGM battery really held the charge, well in a cold Northeast Ohio winter 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    jkjenn said:
    They defenitely should not be fading a couple of tears in, Mike.
    I agree Jenn, it just didn’t seem right.  Gotta have that extra capacity when using a CPAP, etc. when out boondocking or it makes for a very difficult and anxiety filled event.  I just ordered a 12V DC adapter for my machine and it will arrive today.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ