Options

kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
Hi, I'm Kay Levine 65 years old first time camper trailer owner-bought a pick up truck and t@b 400 this year in hopes of being able to sell my house spend a year or so traveling around the US especially to revisit many national parks and historical sites before i settle down and move to the Salem\Beverly Mass. area where my children live. In the process of downsizing toward selling my 5,000 square foot house-what a job!! my husband was a "collector". Also, still working full time at a small  business i own and hope to also sell soon.  Meanwhile getting used to pulling, hitching and unhitching etc. taking some short weekenders at some of our state parks-was so hot n muggy all summer didn't want to do much but now with cooler weather I'm ready to go!! so far backing up is the hardest problem-can't seem to get it to go strait! looking foreward to being part of the forum!!

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome to the forum @kaylevine1 It sounds like you’re already exploring the way things work, congratulations! Backing up will come. We practiced in a huge parking lot, empty on Saturdays so that helped. I definitely need more practice. Purging our house will take years since we’re both collectors, but I’m taking the slow and steady approach.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer! Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    Congratulations on your new 400. It is great to hear of another in Massachusetts. We have also taken several trips to State Parks (Scusset and Salisbury) along with visit to Maine Coast and Harvest Hosts.  I hope you are enjoying the 400 as much as we have. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    thanks for the welcome-already have another weekend trip planned for Nov 11-12 at Fontainebleu State Park in Louisiana-on the north shore of lake Ponchitrain-love this cool fall weather-now that I've read some things here on the forum i realize some of the problems i've had like the hard to lock door, windows that don't quite seal and hard to hitch\unhitch were not just me-thanks to all for the great advice

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Welcome!!!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    DcarltonDcarlton Member Posts: 19
    Welcome
    When I first got my tab I took it down to the parking lot at my neighborhood school on a Saturday afternoon.  I spent a couple of hours just practicing backing in to parking spots and just going backwards.  While I was practicing a guy from across the street came over to check out the tab, and he also gave me some good advice.  He said just go backwards all the way from one end of the parking lot to the other. That really helped—it’s more challenging to go a distance backwards than to back into a parking space. 

I had had never backed up a trailer before this. I’ve been out with it dozens of times now and have felt pretty confident baking into various campsites.  I also got some good advice from my parents who have full time RVd for 25 years. Turn the wheel the way you want the trailer to go (which I knew) and do so with your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel (which I didn’t know.)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Dcarlton said:
    I also got some good advice from my parents who have full time RVd for 25 years. Turn the wheel the way you want the trailer to go (which I knew) and do so with your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel (which I didn’t know.)
    A truck driver taught me that trick years ago and it sure is helpful!
    Before you caught on to the second part you must have spent a lot of time wondering why your trailer wasn't cooperating!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    OOOps! Forgive me. I love to welcome new members. I try to catch you all (Pokemon?) hehe.. Welcome and congratulations on backing up lessons for yourself and your new trailer!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)