Options

Is antifreeze needed?

If I don’t winterize, what is the antifreeze (glycol) used for? 
2017 320-S

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    The Alde heater heats glycol, then circulates it throughout the trailer to provide heat. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    TeaTea Member Posts: 41
    Thank you rkj.  So it isn’t needed for hot water?  
    2017 320-S
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    The glycol stays in the Alde and comes into play when you use the Alde to heat the cabin.  If you only need to heat water, you fill your Alde hot water tank, then turn on the Alde and turn the thermostat down so the cabin radiators do not kick on.  Then you will just heat water with the Alde system.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thank you Sharon.  
    2017 320-S
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    The term "antifreeze" is often used here on the forum to describe two different things.
    One is the glycol rkj__ and Sharon mentioned. This is sealed in the Alde boiler and is used to transfer heat around the cabin if needed. While it doesn't directly play a role in hot water heating, I do believe it is required for the Alde to run properly.
    The other is the "pink stuff" used for winterizing. You put this in your plumbing lines to replace any water that might freeze while in storage.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    There are 3 different types of glycol "antifreeze" you need to know about, but only two may be used in your T@B..

1.  Alde heating glycol:
    • greenish yellow
    • added to Alde expansion tank if needed
    • made for heat transfer in floor heating systems
    • uses propylene glycol formulated with a high boiling point to prevent boiling
    Example:
    Century Chemical TF-1 Heat Transfer Fluid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BDWQXM2

2.  RV Antifreeze:
    • usually pink
    • added to water lines, valves & pumps
    • made for winterization of plumbing systems
    • uses propylene glycol formulated with a low freezing point to prevent freezing
    Example:
    Camco RV Antifreeze Concentrate - 36 ounces of Concentrate Makes 1 Gallon of Antifreeze, Just Add Fresh Water, Great for Use in RVs, Boats, Vacation Homes and Pools - Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGHVRVG

3.  Automotive antifreeze:
    For cars, NOT for RV's
    Uses TOXIC ethylene glycol

Note:  propylene glycol has been designated as safe for humans & sometimes used in small amounts in certain food & cosmetic products.  It won't kill you easily like car antifreeze will.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Thank you ScottG
    2017 320-S
  • Options
    Thank you BrianZ
    2017 320-S
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2018
    While we're on the subject, how often is ethylene glycol sold as "RV Antifreeze"? 

I bought some RV antifreeze from my local car parts store, and when I got it home I happened to notice that it said it was ethylene glycol (of course after I'd put it in the drains) ... I had wrongly assumed that RV antifreeze was always propylene glycol.

Is this an oddity? Or is this just something you need to be wary of?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Isn't RV antifreeze also sometimes ethanol based, or am I just imagining that?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    well, that's what CarQuest sold me...

Now I need to think about where to drain the darn stuff in the spring! I don't think they'll want it in the 'recycled antifreeze' tank at CarQuest. Although our black and gray tanks were pretty well rinsed beforehand, it's still gonna be a bit smelly, I'll bet!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya