Options

T@B 400 tire change

What is the best way to lift trailer to change tires. Purchased Endurance tires from DIscount tires.

At Ucamp they did not talk about changing tires on a 400 only the 320.
Thanks

Jon and Leslie Richey
2018 T@B 400. TV 2016 4 Runner
Minneapolis,MN

Comments

• Options
    PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @JonNLeslie I do not have access to my trailer to post pics but I can share what we did to jack our 400 twice earlier this year. We had been advised that the axle can be damaged by using it as a jack point so we were careful to avoid the axle. Located on the face of the frame near the axle you will see 3 bolts in a vertical line. We used a scissor jack and placed it under the frame directly underneath the 3 bolts. There is strength here as the 3 bolts connect to a cross member under the trailer and provided a stable lift point. Hope that helps!
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    What I do is, gather together Wheel chocks, (2 for 1 wheel), 2 jack stands and I use a 3 ton floor jack I have from Harbor freight.  I remove the spare tire from under the frame at the front.  Chock 1 wheel, level the 400, lower all 4 stabilizers to within 3 0r 4 inches from the floor.  I jack the frame in front or behind the first wheel where the rail for the axle meets the frame. (Caution,  do not jack on the axle tube). I  Loosen the wheel bolts before raising the wheel to where it clears the floor.  I place the 2 jack stands on the raised side to support the frame.  I remove the first wheel and tire. Next I install the spare.  Then remove the jack stands and lower the wheel until it contacts the floor and tighten the lug nuts. Remove the jack and stands and   move to the other side, loosen the wheel lug nuts, raise the  trailer, install the jack stands and lower all the stabilizers.  Remove the wheel leaving the jack in place.  Mount and balance both wheels and replace. 

I have used a automotive scissor jack but as you raise the 400, the frame creeps inward and it slid on the jack collapsing it and puncturing a hole in the belly pan.  The floor jack will creep with the frame as it is raised.  I try to limit any exposure under the 400 while doing this.  I use this method when ever I adjust the brakes or do any work under. Remember safety always!  (You want to be sure not to have it suspended on the stabilizers and let it roll any little fore or aft as the front stabilizers will bend fairly easily). 

I Torque my lug nuts to 100 ft lbs. and then recheck after a couple hundred miles.

I have also found while leveling with the stabilizers you can twist the frame enough so the door will not close properly.  They are stabilizers and not frame jacks for leveling.  Wish they were, but they are not.  We use the Anderson wheel levelers for that purpose.

This is not meant to be the absolute and only way to do this procedure, but the way that I do it.  Hope that it is of some help for you. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    SactoSteveSactoSteve Member Posts: 32
    I can see that using the stabilizer screw mechanism as a lift jack could be outside its capability but the approach of lowering the rear stabilizers to use as a pivot point and lifting with the nose jack seems viable.  And 3 points provides stability.
    Am I missing something?
    -steve
    2019 T@B 400
    2018 Audi Q5
    Sacramento CA
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    This procedure received the blessing from nuCAMP technical department earlier this month.
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    Which procedure?
    -steve
    2019 T@B 400
    2018 Audi Q5
    Sacramento CA
  • Options
    Tire change

One tire appeared ‘low’ after returning from our first trip. Checking tire the stem it wouldn’t hold air. So needed to have tire shop have a look.

To remove wheels I,...
         lowered the nose with the tongue jack,
         lowered the rear stabilizers,
         broke the wheel nuts loose,
         raised the 400’s wheels off the ground with the tongue jack,
         lowered the front stabilizers,
         removed all 3 wheels.

Tire shop said bad valves. Something about a 2007 recall but many old valves still in wheel inventories and part supliers chains. The shop replaced all 3 valves at no charge. (Much appreciated)

reinstalled the wheels. No drama.

I’d say this procedure works fine, but you can prove anything with a small enough sample size.

FWIW,
    -steve
    -steve
    2019 T@B 400
    2018 Audi Q5
    Sacramento CA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I think the 1st stop after I pick up my new 400 in mid April is going to be a tire store for valve stem replacements with a quality metal one, will through in some tire balance beads at same time while the bead is broken. I am considering if it wouldn't be a good idea to also junk the new Rainier trailer tires too. Not super fond of running "no name" tires, but maybe I should give them a chance?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    @N7SHG_Ham, that strikes me as an expensive and likely unnecessary insurance policy. All tire need to meet certain operating standards, valve stem failures are rare, and worse case you do have a spare on board. Why not use the stuff you already own and upgrade when needed?
    Of course, if I had a 400, I might advise differently so long as you were willing to send me your brand new tires and stems after you replace them.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @ScottG valve stems may be necessary as I want to add TPMS sensors on stems. Tires, probably not needed, however there are untold rv tire failures from cheap Chinese tires and I believe the stock tires fall in that category. Probably just do valve stems immediately and run the tires for awhile.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @N7SHG_Ham it's all about whatever makes you feel the most comfortable and safe. You have a long drive home from pick up and that should tell you if you like those tires. I had the same worry about mine, which are Castle Rock ST radial. When I spoke with Discount Tire about the valve stems, I asked about the tires. He had never heard of the brand, although I see them on etrailer.com. He said radial tires are the key vs bias ply. They are C rated. Goodyear Endurance are D rated; $264 installed. Not a huge amount but he didn't think I should be concerned at this point. I have 1000 miles on them, stored in my garage. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    edited March 2019
    After 6000 trouble-free miles with my 2018 400, in preparation for a June trip cross country (9000 miles total) I decided to upgrade the tires to Goodyear Endurance.  The combination of the increased load rating to D from C and the improved speed rating from 65 to 81mph tipped the scales.  I agree with @dsfdogs that it is all about comfort and personal safety. It will be interesting to see the difference.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts